Thread: Shocks

Spyder Garage

Default Shocks

Which are better Fox or Elkas for my 2012 rt se5 ltd

Spyder Garage

Default shocks

I have no experience with the fox shocks on the spyder but have the elkas on my 2012 rt ltd. they make a lot of difference on the ride and control. I also added the Pitbull shock relocaters which I would also recomend.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    I have no experience with the fox shocks on the spyder but have the elkas on my 2012 rt ltd. they make a lot of difference on the ride and control. I also added the Pitbull shock relocaters which I would also recomend.
    Roger
    how much are the relocators

Spyder Garage

I have ELKA shocks on my 14. AWESOME! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

they are both good shocks...most of the guys I ryde with have RaceTech. Elkas are expensive and require maintenance more for the wild ryder as are the RaceTech's. I did things a little at a time starting with the BajaRon sway bar and hiem joints. That was a big change in handling. Then put on the pitbull relocators making another big change. Reset the stock shocks and I can keep up with the best of them...maybe some day I can afford those shocks but don't see them doing a great deal more. soooo....whatever your budget allows...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cabodan View Post
    Which are better Fox or Elkas for my 2012 rt se5 ltd
    Elka is a superior to the Fox shock; and the cost difference reflects this.

If you are bottoming out, there are other options:
    1. Change the springs (OEM shocks); if you get the spring rate correct, you will not need item 2 or 3.
    2. Change to Elkas or Fox shock (you may still need to get help for the Fox shock; change spring, other device, and/or mounting change)
    2. Some other devise to help the Fox/OEM springs (depending on your total riding weight, this may still not be enough)
    3. Change the upper shock mounting point (depending on your total riding weight, this may not be enough)
    4. Avoid pot holes...okay, not very realistic.

You are to guesstamate which is the least cost because only you know what you can do.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    they are both good shocks...most of the guys I ryde with have RaceTech. Elkas are expensive and require maintenance more for the wild ryder as are the RaceTech's. I did things a little at a time starting with the BajaRon sway bar and hiem joints. That was a big change in handling. Then put on the pitbull relocators making another big change. Reset the stock shocks and I can keep up with the best of them...maybe some day I can afford those shocks but don't see them doing a great deal more. soooo....whatever your budget allows...
    Hogwash. Elka's are not expensive, nor do they require much maintenance. They make all the difference in the world. Had them on my GS for the last 60,000 miles and have had them on my RT from day one for 20,000 miles now and I'd never ride a Spyder without them.
    The stock shocks , especially on an RT.... Totally SUCK. I wouldn't even let mine leave Cowtown with stock shocks on it when I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I have the Elka on my RTS, they seem to be great. While in Spyderfest, there was a problem with some Elka shocks and "John of Elka" hadn't paid attention until it was a mess. It boiled down to poor communications by Elka personnel. After getting my new (used) bike with the Elka shocks, I had a question and called "John" twice and he didn't bother to return my calls. I called the 3rd time a few days later and "John" answered the phone, I identified myself and he did answer my questions, but acted like I was "bothering" him.

IMO customer service after the sale is paramount, anyone can sell anything. With the attitude that I pick up with Elka, If needed I'll buy something else.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for asking this question- I am interested in the results as I am considering an upgrade as well. Given what I have read on the forum, I am inclined to go with Fox. I am not interested in yearly maintenance requirements which seem to be the case for the Elkas.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have fox podium shocks on my 2015 RT. I went with FOX because I have owned snowmobiles with fox shocks on the front and also on the rear suspension.
    In my opinion FOX SHOCKS are a great product and for me they are tried and proven.
    I bought mine from BRP Accessory catalog. IF you visit FOX SHOCKS web site you will only find the rear shock available for Spyder. Fox must have an agreement in place not to sell the FOX PODIUM Shock but only to BRP.

http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m...346&ref=filter

Spyder Garage

Default shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I have fox podium shocks on my 2015 RT. I went with FOX because I have owned snowmobiles with fox shocks on the front and also on the rear suspension.
    In my opinion FOX SHOCKS are a great product and for me they are tried and proven.
    I bought mine from BRP Accessory catalog. IF you visit FOX SHOCKS web site you will only find the rear shock available for Spyder. Fox must have an agreement in place not to sell the FOX PODIUM Shock but only to BRP.

http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m...346&ref=filter
    If I change my shocks to Fox or Elkas and even put the relocators do I have to redo the laser alignment.

Spyder Garage

Default relocators

The relocators were $200.00 and only available from Pitbull or Lamont. They are very well crafted and easy to install and do work good.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light

Spyder Garage

Default Relocators

The relocators were $200.00 and only available from Pitbull or Lamonts Garage. They are very well crafted and easy to install and work good.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    I am not interested in yearly maintenance requirements which seem to be the case for the Elkas.
    Be aware that the Fox shocks will also require the same periodic servicing as the Elkas...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

At SF in MO John of Elka, said that what we use on our Spyders do not need the yearly service. Apparently the racing community would need them looked at.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Elka's don't need yearly service. Most of us have found Elka, and John in particular to have GREAT customer service before and after the sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cabodan View Post
    If I change my shocks to Fox or Elkas and even put the relocators do I have to redo the laser alignment.
    If you do the shock relocators I think you do. Squared Away did my laser alignment in February of 2014. I had Elkas the relocators as well as new front tires all installed in October 2014 during the Lamonster BBQ. At this years Spyderfest it was notice that the tires were wearing uneavenly. Took my 2012 RTS back to Joe and Ann they found the front was toed in exactly 7/8" on both sides. The only thing I believe that could have caused this is the shock relocators raise up the front end enough to change the angle of how the front tires contact the road.
    Bryan

Spyder Garage

Based on the online product information for the Elka Stage 1 and the BRP Fox Adjustable Front Shock Kit, I do not see any specific performance advantage between the two shocks. However, the Elkas are more expensive. While it is obvious that Elkas are popular among several Spyder owners that post here, I would be interested in hearing from riders that may more knowledge of both products.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've run both. Albeit in different types of applications. it's pretty much of a toss-up...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black