Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT SM6 - K&N Air Filter Change Out - Has anyone done this?

Has anyone done a KN Air Filter (CM-1314 I think) change out?
    Worth it?
    Easy to do?
    Pointers?
    Pics?

Thanks!
    --------------------------------------------------
    2014 SPYDER RT-SM6 - Black

SpyderPops Missing Chain Guard
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar/Links
    Two Brother S1R Exhaust (+3db, -16lbs, pure awesomeness)
    XKGlow Carbon LED System (Iphone Link)
    Sylvania zXe Lamps

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YES

K & N # RU-1480,.....However it's a lot of work, and you must get rid of the OEM air snorkel or the FILTER is a complete waste of time......Mike ......Now this is very interesting.,....Where did you come up with that part Number.....I could not find a listing for the 1330 Engine so I used the one I posted above........According to the K&N site I found ----CM-1314 is a DIRECT replacement for the OEM filter......This is great news ....I don't think even BAJARON knows this...............I would recommend you go for it....you will never have to replace again-----But I still recommend trashing the OEM AIR SNORKEL ....the engine can't breath with it
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-03-2015 at 12:54 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

http://www.knfilters.com/search/apps...E6&engine=1330

Yup! It's showing as THE replacement for the OEM filter...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    K & N # RU-1480,.....However it's a lot of work, and you must get rid of the OEM air snorkel or the FILTER is a complete waste of -----But I still recommend trashing the OEM AIR SNORKEL ....the engine can't breath with it
    Mike, is the air snorkel you refer to the same as the Air Inlet Valve, PN707800477, in the 2014 RT Air Intake parts diagram? Thanks.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I do not recommend the K&N 'replacement' filter.

First, its advantages are negligible. The restriction in your air intake is not the stock synthetic media element. (They are not paper any more). Its the air box and intake snorkel.

Second, the oiled gauze media flat out does not filter nearly as well as a proper air filter element. Many diesel pickup owners found out the hard way with 'dusted' engines. And K&N was zero help with the $10k repair bills. This one I have personal experience with on several friends trucks. I will not use one, will not buy a used engine that has one in it.

Current state of the art synthetic media air filter elements are much better than the old paper ones K&N harps on and on about being so much better than.

Its just not worth it. Just my not so humble opinion. Its your money and your bike. They are not on ANY of our equipment.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

First, its advantages are negligible. The restriction in your air intake is not the stock synthetic media element. (They are not paper any more). Its the air box and intake snorkel.

Second, the oiled gauze media flat out does not filter nearly as well as a proper air filter element. Many diesel pickup owners found out the hard way with 'dusted' engines. And K&N was zero help with the $10k repair bills. This one I have personal experience with on several friends trucks. I will not use one, will not buy a used engine that has one in it.

Current state of the art synthetic media air filter elements are much better than the old paper ones K&N harps on and on about being so much better than.

Its just not worth it. Just my not so humble opinion. Its your money and your bike. They are not on ANY of our equipment.
    Totally agree. Theres been independant tests done that show exactly what JC say.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

+1

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was only mildly aware of the shortcomings of these type filters.
    Thanks for spelling it out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

Really...they must have shut down R&D and sell on the name only. Seeing as nothing is the best for every application I'm sure they have problems (like we don't) have used them in everything from my first clunkers to fine tuned machines and they have worked great. I have no problems but your always right in that it is a choice and research is wise...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default RESEARCH !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Really...they must have shut down R&D and sell on the name only. Seeing as nothing is the best for every application I'm sure they have problems (like we don't) have used them in everything from my first clunkers to fine tuned machines and they have worked great. I have no problems but your always right in that it is a choice and research is wise...
    Here's Bob's .............it ALL depends on which way the winds BLOWING at the moment .................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Thank-you everyone for the input!

Yes I had seen the whole mod on the airbox for the KN Filter..
    But then I saw this direct OEM replacement that had just come out in the past few weeks and wondered if it was worth it..
    The fact that the breather tube is still inhibiting the system is more of a concern I agree..
    No change in filtering is going to help that..

Thanks for all the great input!
    --------------------------------------------------
    2014 SPYDER RT-SM6 - Black

SpyderPops Missing Chain Guard
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar/Links
    Two Brother S1R Exhaust (+3db, -16lbs, pure awesomeness)
    XKGlow Carbon LED System (Iphone Link)
    Sylvania zXe Lamps

Spyder Garage

Default huh

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dog603 View Post
    Yes I had seen the whole mod on the airbox for the KN Filter..
    But then I saw this direct OEM replacement that had just come out in the past few weeks and wondered if it was worth it..
    The fact that the breather tube is still inhibiting the system is more of a concern I agree..
    No change in filtering is going to help that..

Thanks for all the great input!
    I added onto My post #2......and " no change in filtering is going to help that " [ quote ] ??????....................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I too have used the K&N extensively on both off and on road applications with very good results. When I service a vehicle I always check the inside of the air box (whatever) for any fine material that has gotten by. If I found any with a K&N (or any air filter for that matter), I would be very hesitant to use that product again.

I am not saying these other reports are not true. I do not know anyone personally who has had a bad experience with a K&N filter. But I would think if they could show severe engine damage from a defective product (K&N filter) they would be able to recover damages.

It is always amazing how diametrically opposed different reports on the same product can be at times. It tends to leave people twisting in the wind as to which way to go.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...