Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Went the Givi Wing rack w top case mount but chose these bags.
    should have the parts in a few weeks .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally completed

Thanks to Spyderyderjim's mounting system approach for RT windshield onto the F3, I have finally completed my installation.

Thank you again Spyderyderjim - this setup works great - Bye Bye worthless to me BlueRidge and BRP mounting System of same.

I followed Spyderyderjim's recommendation and purchased the CalSi mid height RT windshield, since I am only 5'8" tall with 30" inseam.

The RT windshield is mounted as close to rider as possible (windshield just kisses handlebar at full turn).

Absolutely zero wind buffeting to any part of body at highway speeds, and great overall wind protection even leaning into turns.

I did miscalculate what the final height of mounted windshield would be - I wanted 16" above top center of handlebars, so that I could see over it, however it came out to 18.25" and I see through top of windshield. Still works for me, since I have ridden with windshields both ways with preference for looking over and the CalSi windshield is distortion free and very clear I plan to keep it this way for the time being in preparation for winter riding and since the F3-S is even a greater pleasure to ride now - I just want to ride. Come next spring I will probably change out some of the bracket pieces for 16" height.

Benefit of mounting system: 1. built and attached solid - nothing moves 2. crossbar can be used for mounting GPS or other devices just above dash (I did this with Ram ball mount). 3. Easily remove windshield and mounting brackets as one assembly, with just four bolts, for returning F3-S to stock configuration.

I do plan to either wrap or paint mounting bracket black - probably will wrap.

I've attached two photos just taken in my garage - a little dark (just returned from long night test ride - will take better ones tomorrow and post in Gallery Album (beright).

2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F-3 WINDSHIELD ....................POSSIBILITIES........OUT-OF-THE-BOX-THINKING

Very nice DIY set-up ..........Just throwing this thought out there.............back in 09, before the RT , I had a GS that I wanted more for touring than hot rodding.......So I put a 1200 Gold Wing windshield on it , and I mounted it to the HANDELBARS , the same way most ( if not all ) after-market windshields are mounted.......Considering the size of some of the F-3 handelbars, I'm surprised no one has gone this route and mounted that way........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default PLEASE FORGIVE ME

But am I reading this correctly. Even after purchasing the Elka shock, you still had to purchase a better spring? Could you have just purchased the spring to fit the original shock?

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    John at Elka will set up F3 rear Elka with correct single 8" long spring for your weight.
    But on F3, rear single spring needs to be stronger for driver only; and a even stronger single spring set up for 2 up riding to get correct ride height!!
    A Rear F3 Elka dual shock springs John at Elka set up for a 250# rider was way too soft for ride height for rider; & 2 up riding!!
    Should be a stronger 900# Hyperco single 8" long spring for 2 up riding.
    Note: The dual springs on Elka rear shock do NOT work because they sag 2" when sitting on F3S with the Eibach 800# 5 1/4" long spring/800# 2 3/4" long springs.
    (My rear Elka 650/800# dual springs was set up for 200# rider, (the 1 3/4" rear sag is way too much).
    But I bought/installed Hyperco 800# single rear spring 8" long 2 1/4" ID, to get ride height up to normal 1/2" sag.
    Hope this explains a little on F3 Elka rear shock spring sag problem.
    Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After all that, it seems to me you should have just purchased a RT if you were looking to tour

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    After all that, it seems to me you should have just purchased a RT if you were looking to tour
    At first glance your statement makes sense but looking deeper and speaking for myself,, I owned an RT but wanted something lighter and more agile... The ability to take luggage on and off the F3 has a lot of value to me because I don't need any more space than the frunck goin back n forth to work.. If you were to add up all the weight of my luggage and mounts the RT WOULD STILL weigh 100 # pounds more.. I know the F3 will never be an RT but an F3 to me at least ,,,, is like having 2 spyders,, one that will be very comfortable on a looooooong ride and an amusement park ride around town..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Very nice DIY set-up ..........Just throwing this thought out there.............back in 09, before the RT , I had a GS that I wanted more for touring than hot rodding.......So I put a 1200 Gold Wing windshield on it , and I mounted it to the HANDELBARS , the same way most ( if not all ) after-market windshields are mounted.......Considering the size of some of the F-3 handelbars, I'm surprised no one has gone this route and mounted that way........Mike

Funny you bring this up - as part of my research to replace blueridge I did seriously consider mounting windshield to handlebars and I search for some off-the-shelf universal components and found some made by MRA - they were to short but thought I could extend their reach via some home brewing.

Someone talked me out of it but I can't remember their reasoning - maybe it will come to me later. Now that I can't remember why , it seems to me it would work and one wouldn't have to worry about windshield width hitting handlebars on full turning and could optimize distance from rider.
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    You are so right - I wanted most if not all of the features of the RT but with the looks of the F3. I have completed all of my major mods in that goal. If the BRP windshield had been even usable, beat the heck out of my body with wind buffeting, I would have been good to go a long time ago.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

Thank you for the compliment but the credit goes to Spyderyderjim - a very creative and generous man. We have kept a continuous dialog via email for many months now - a true sharing and giving person.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BECAUSE YOU POSTED THE PICS

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    Thank you for the compliment but the credit goes to Spyderyderjim - a very creative and generous man. We have kept a continuous dialog via email for many months now - a true sharing and giving person.
    It didn't make any sense to compliment Him on your POST / PICS.....I already did that when He posted His .....and Back in 2012 " arntufun " did a video of my Spyder which included the windshield .....if you haven't seen it .............it's very, very funny................... Mike ......( BLUEKNIGHT911 CUSTOM SPYDER )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    What type---mfg of floorboard firm pad--source of purchase==where? Lots of rubber or foam padding but I'm concerned about wear--weathering appearance. Excellent idea to add padding to absorb vibration. I've also seen handle bar grip sleeve to absorb vibration.
    Thanks for your post.
    Darrell

Hi Darrell,
    I used a piece of 1/2" medium firm gray foam from Lowe's that has the 2' interlocking squares for garage floors.
    I turned BRP footboard rubber pads upside down, traced the pattern & cut to fit in between BRP pad & metal footboard; longer screws with blue Loctite, under footboards.
    Medium firm foam is waterproof, & absorbs the small vibration of the F3S.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_295099-47189...d=3111467&pl=1
    I use Grip Puppies black slip over foam on handlebar grips.
    Jim

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP FLOOR BOARDS AND BRAKE LINKAGE SHORTENED

[QUOTE=spyderyderjim;985337]Thanks everyone.
    I just wanted to share what any DIY Guy/Gal can modify: F3S seat, backrest, add Givi storage equal to or maybe a little more than RT, Elka shocks, RT windshield with DIY 1/4" thick Aluminum flatbar/1" x 1" Angle brackets mounted, for a great F3S TOURING Spyder.
    The stock F3 seat can be an easy mod with a Conformax 1" foam with attached 1/2" Gel facing down at seat base foam.
    You just remove staples, pull off stock seat cover, cut out center stock foam, (leave edges of foam around seat base & about 1" stock foam over seat base), insert center cut out foam with the Comformax foam pad with Gel down; staple seat cover back on.
    The 20" Conformax pad is enough for both Passenger & Drivers seat.
    https://onlygel.com/index.php/confor...shion-265.html
    Yes the seat is very comfy!!!
    Enjoy.
    Jim[/QUOTE

Hello Jim,
    I was wondering on the BRP Floor boards you added 1/2' firm pad, did you add that on the top or bottom and how did you attach it.
    Did you order a shorter Brake Linkage to lower the pedal and were from did you get it.
    Did you get the Russell Backrest from Russell?
    Any information would help
    Thank you,
    Kevkev

Spyder Garage

Givi Wingracks with Givi topcase mount; N141 (or N140 will work); with 15" long sidebar extension for topcase mount.
    (special thanks to Guzzi for posting photos of his F3S Wingrack & sidebags)!!!
    Givi E41NN sidecases.
    Givi E52 topcase (will be replaced with new 2015 E56NN topcase later).
    Jim,

I am interested in putting Givi topcase and sidecases on my F3. In reading all the posts on what you have done it sounds like you had custom hardware made to get the cases attached. Would you be so kind as to list what hardware you were able to purchase and what needed to be fabricated? As well as any advise you are willing to pass on.

Thanks,

And by the way... your Ryde looks great!
    Alan

I'm in my second childhood, only this time I have more money.

Modes of transportation
    2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2014 Chevy Silverado
    2015 Spyder F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Hi kevkev,
    The 1/2" thick garage floor firm pad from Lowe's is sandwiched between top rubber pad & metal frame of BRP footboards; then I added 4 longer screws under each side.
    The Russell backrest is from my 2003 Kawi Concours, & was transfer to 2013, & also 2014 RT seat-bases.
    Then I mounted it on my 2015 F3S Spyder, (about 1" farther back then the stock BRP backrest position).
    I had to cut a 3" wide section of plastic out of front of passenger seat for it to fit correctly.
    Yes you could order the backrest from Russell.
    (The ideal would be to order custom built F3 Russell seats & backrest).
    I drilled a 5/16" hole inboard on both ends of brake rod (to shorten the rod).
    The brake position now is ideal for me; just slide foot over, no more lifting foot up to find brake pedal.
    Jim

[QUOTE=Kevkev;1043319]
    Thanks everyone.
    I just wanted to share what any DIY Guy/Gal can modify: F3S seat, backrest, add Givi storage equal to or maybe a little more than RT, Elka shocks, RT windshield with DIY 1/4" thick Aluminum flatbar/1" x 1" Angle brackets mounted, for a great F3S TOURING Spyder.
    The stock F3 seat can be an easy mod with a Conformax 1" foam with attached 1/2" Gel facing down at seat base foam.
    You just remove staples, pull off stock seat cover, cut out center stock foam, (leave edges of foam around seat base & about 1" stock foam over seat base), insert center cut out foam with the Comformax foam pad with Gel down; staple seat cover back on.
    The 20" Conformax pad is enough for both Passenger & Drivers seat.
    https://onlygel.com/index.php/confor...shion-265.html
    Yes the seat is very comfy!!!
    Enjoy.
    Jim[/QUOTE

Hello Jim,
    I was wondering on the BRP Floor boards you added 1/2' firm pad, did you add that on the top or bottom and how did you attach it.
    Did you order a shorter Brake Linkage to lower the pedal and were from did you get it.
    Did you get the Russell Backrest from Russell?
    Any information would help
    Thank you,
    Kevkev

Spyder Garage

Hi ElmoLucy,
    Here is the Givi N140 Wing Racks need to mount E41 or other Givi sidebags.
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...h-turn-signals
    (you don't need the turns signal lights, but I think that is the only way you can buy them now).
    The Wing Racks include the side & topcase mounts!
    Using a 2" wide 1/4" thick Aluminum flatbar about 22" long you can drill 5/16" holes to attach side flatbars to outside of Front hand holds with 8mm x 50 mm long sunken socket head bolts, 8m x 60mm long bolts for rear handhold.. You can buy metal flatbar & longer hand hold bolts at Ace Hardware.
    Second existing hole in rear of Wing Rack attaches to rear hand hold bolt; front lower hole/(8mm x 35 mm bolt with nyloc nut) in Wingrack attaches/aligns to flatbar & the hole drilled in flatbar. If you have access to a drill press, side bars drilling is a piece of cake.
    Thanks. I really enjoy my F3S Touring mod Spyder with all the Givi storage!!!
    (Just installed a new Summer performance 205-55-15 Yokohama S. Drive rear tire today, (9,500 miles on stock rear tire).
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ElmoLucy View Post
    Jim,

I am interested in putting Givi topcase and sidecases on my F3. In reading all the posts on what you have done it sounds like you had custom hardware made to get the cases attached. Would you be so kind as to list what hardware you were able to purchase and what needed to be fabricated? As well as any advise you are willing to pass on.

Thanks,

And by the way... your Ryde looks great!
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 10-17-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=spyderyderjim;1043758]Hi bscrive,
    Here is a photo of how I mounted my 1st side Wing Racks on F3S.
    The new way is to extend side extension flatbar to mount to front & rear hand hold bolts.
    Sorry I didn't notice your request for a photo last month.
    Jim

Jim,

I don't wish to be a pest, but... Could you take another picture without the side or top case showing all of the wingback and your mounting to the grab bar mounting? I'm hoping to make this a winter project.

Thanks!
    Alan

Modes of transportation
    2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2014 Chevy Silverado
    2015 Spyder F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=ElmoLucy;1043870]
    Hi bscrive,
    Here is a photo of how I mounted my 1st side Wing Racks on F3S.
    The new way is to extend side extension flatbar to mount to front & rear hand hold bolts.
    Sorry I didn't notice your request for a photo last month.
    Jim

Jim,

I don't wish to be a pest, but... Could you take another picture without the side or top case showing all of the wingback and your mounting to the grab bar mounting? I'm hoping to make this a winter project.

Thanks!
    I'd appreciate some detailed pics too when you can make time.. My bags n wing racks came today 😎 Thx a bunch!!!

Spyder Garage

Default F3S rear fender mod

F3S rear fender mod turned out well.
    I used 1" x 1" x 1/8" thick x 14" long Aluminum angle iron underneath bolted to rear sub-frame.
    Drilled 1/4" holes/bolted in each side of fender.
    License lite wire re-routed taped under rear splash protector, drilled 2 extra holes in rear fender old mount hole to push connector thru, black Gorilla taped over wire/holes.
    (License lit wire/connector on right side was exact length routed to connect to license lite again).
    Enjoy.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Default F3S Rear Elka shock 800# Hyperco single spring 8" L x 2.25"ID

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jeff View Post
    Mods look great. Just what I am attempting to do with my new F3S. Some questions on the Elka Stage 2 rear shock. When I ride with a passenger I exceed the manufacturer weight rating for the F3. What is the weight rating of that aftermarket Elka Stage 2 and can they match the spring to the weight that I specifiy to them. Any additional specifications on the rear shock ordering would be great. Thanks for the information.
    Jeff,
    Here is a photo of my F3S Rear Elka shock 800# Hyperco single spring 8" long x 2.25" ID; 5 turns spring pre-load.
    The 900# (or 1000#) Hyperco spring works better for 2 up riding; (only requires 2 turns spring preload).
    The Hyperco single rear spring on Elka raises rear ride height to normal level front to rear; rear end sag is only 5/8" when sitting on F3S.
    (F3S rear Elka with the dual 800/900# springs, sitting on F3S the rear ride height sagged 2" (measured from top of rear tire to center bolt holding up rear splash pan); way too much sag, & front of muffler shield would scrape going over speed bumps in parking lots when riding double).
    Ride is firm but balanced front & rear!!
    Enjoy.
    Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 10-09-2015 at 07:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 F3S Wingrack mounts with sidebar for Givi topcase info

2015 F3S Spyder Wingrack mounts with sidebar for Givi topcase, 9 Oct, 2015. (Updated info 24 Oct, 2015).
    I finished (for now) my prototype F3S Spyder Wingrack mounts 22" long x 2" wide x 1/4" thick Aluminum side flatbars for my F3S, (thanks BeRight, Steve for Aluminum flatbar, works good, very solid). (note: Ace Hardware has 2' long x 1/4" thick x 2" wide pre-cut Aluminum flatbars). (Aluminum primer paint/cutting flatbar ends at an angle looks cleaner). (note: a special thanks to Shogun for pointing out more solid sidebar mounts by mounting to front handhold bolt also).

The side flatbar extension is mounted from outside front handhold 8m x 50mm sunken hex head bolt continuing back to outside rear handhold 8mm x 60mm long bolt extending to Givi Wingrack topcase mounts.
    (The front part of side flatbar hole drilled in lower corner of side flatbar) is mounted from outside front handhold 8m x 50 mm sunken hex head bolt, along with/on top of 9 inches long x 1 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick metal flatbar front Wingrack support, 8m x 25mm bolted to/for front lower Givi Wingrack support).
    (I put a short bolt in front handhold & pivoted front of sidebar up to line up/drilled front hole in lower part of side flatbar). Install 8m x 30mm bolt thru both Wingrack & side flatbar with 3/16" thick spacer between Wingrack & sidebar (middle hole) don't over-tighten, secured with Nyloc nut in middle/upper portion of Wingrack.

Note: First step Rear sidebar/handhold 5/16" hole drilled close to top side of side flatbar, & mounted thru 2nd from rear Wingrack hole.
    Second step is drill hole in front/lower part of sidebar for bolting to front handhold. Third step is pivot Wingrack up aligning middle of Wingrack hole & drill hole in flatbar, 8m x 30mm bolt/Nyloc nut to secure it to flatbar.

For mounting Givi topcase my side flatbars are 22" long, 5/16" holes drilled in side flatbar (mine is 11 1/2" eye to eye from rear handhold bolt).
    Note: drill both Aluminum sidebars clamped together so both sidebars/holes are of equal length.
    Giving me 3 1/2" clearance from between rear tail lights & curved part of Givi topcase mount). (should be enough clearance to mount rear passenger backrest).

No spacers between front side flatbar/front 9" long 1 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick metal flatbar (6 1/2" bolt holes eye to eye) for front support flatbar bolted to front lower hole in Givi Wingrack. (Wingrack mounts are very solid).
    Spacer used between rear handhold & flatbar (spacer 1/2" thick 1 1/2" round x 5/16" center hole).
    Used 22" long x 2" wide x 1/4" thick Aluminum side flatbar; (Note: Aluminum flatbar is very strong & much easier to work with).
    Used 9" long x 1 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick front/lower Wingrack support.
    Used 8m x 50mm L front handhold bolts to mount front of sidebar.
    Used 8m x 60mm L rear handhold bolts to mount Wingrack & sidebar.
    Used 8m x 25mm L front metal support bolted to front of Wingrack.
    Used 8m x 30mm L bolts in between to bolt Wingrack to flat sidebar.
    Note: all bolts are 8mm sunken head socket bolts, Nyloc nuts.

Of course you build/assume your own risk.
    I am just sharing my positive experience/build with other F3 Spyder owners that want Givi storage for their F3 Spyder (larger than a RT Spyder)! My Givi hard bags (with 24 liter Frunk storage) is 162 liters Total cargo storage. (RT Spyder cargo storage is 155 liters). Your Givi topcase may require different distance/holes drilled on the side flatbar topcase mounts, to make room for passenger backrest.
    Hope this info helps in mounting your Givi Wingrack/sidebar/topcase mounts on F3S Spyder!
    (the Aluminum sidebars could be mounted on 2016 F3-T or Limited Spyder inside of/on front & rear handhold bolts with Givi topcase/mounts)!
    Enjoy your F3 rydes. Jim

Last edited by spyderyderjim; 04-27-2016 at 01:16 AM. Reason: updated info 24 Oct, 2015

Spyder Garage

Jim, thanks for all the pictures on mounting the cases. It all makes sense now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alan

Modes of transportation
    2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2014 Chevy Silverado
    2015 Spyder F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Givi top case mounts

Here are my F3S TOURING mods.
    Update 10 Oct 2015:
    My 2013 RT shield with Aluminum angle/flat bar solid mountings gives me total wind protection, no helmet noise.
    RT shield at 20" above center handlebar mount, I look through top 1", works good for me.
    Givi Wingracks with Givi topcase mount; N141 (or N140 will work); with 22" long sidebar extension connected to outside front handhold bolts, for topcase mount.
    (special thanks to Guzzi for posting photos of his F3S Wingrack & sidebags)!!!
    Givi E41NN sidecases. Givi 2015 V56N topcase.
    My 2012 Stage 5 Elka shocks 325# Eibach springs. (just cut away half moon 1" of plastic underneath for reservoir to fit).
    2015 Elka stage 2 rear shock with Hyperco 8" long 800# single spring 2.25 ID; gives correct 1" rear ride height sag for me; (I am buying a 900# single 8" spring so will only need 2 turns spring preload)!
    Note: The Elka dual 800# short 2 3/4" black spring/900# Eibach 5 1/4" Red spring are way too soft & sag 2" for too low of rear ride height with just driver;
    with passenger the F3 Elka dual springs bottoms out on speed bumps in parking lots!
    (call John at F3 Elka shock website 1-800-557-0552 to order; (suggest a 900# Hyperco 8" long single spring 2.25" ID for Elka rear F3 shock).
    (Not sure if John at Elka will install a Hyperco 900# SINGLE 8" long 2.25 ID rear spring on Elka rear shock for) F3 Spyders;
    I had to buy Hyperco single 8" length spring on my own). My F3S Rear Elka stage 2 shock is a Major improvement with corrected ride height (with Hyperco 8" long 800# single spring, (I am changing to 900# single spring); firm but dampening absorbs all small harsh bumps felt with stock shock.BRP floorboards are good; (but I added 1/2" firm pad foam to absorb small vibrations).
    Brake linkage shortened/pedal lowered.
    Russell backrest.
    Custom F3S seats; Russell seat spring at base, 2" memory foam with a 1/2" Gel pad sandwiched between foam, Custom leather seat cover off my RT seat.
    Magnaflow car muffler to mellow out the in line triple motor sound!!
    Yokohama S.drive 205-55-15 rear high performance car tire, has excellent dry/wet traction, smoother ride, grips in corners, (only about 9-10,000 miles wear).
    Still managed to ride 10,000 miles in 6 months on Awesome F3S Spyder, (with all the TOURING mods I designed/built)!!
    BRP built the ultimate F3S SE6 Spyder (well, until 2016 F3-T comes out in Jan 2016, adding sidebars & a V56 Givi Topcase, ha); with quick low end torque, more power than anyone really needs, consistent 39 mpg, handles corners at twice posted speed, light handling, very easy to ride, etc!!!
    Enjoy your F3 Spyder rydes.
    Jim
    Where did you get the mounting hardware for the Givi MONOKEY top case ?
    Thanks
    Ray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rsbargiel View Post
    Where did you get the mounting hardware for the Givi MONOKEY top case ?
    Thanks
    Ray

Hi Ray,
    The Givi side/top plate brackets & Givi topcase mount comes with the Givi Wingrack N141 (pictured above), or the N140.
    That is the only way I think you can get them is with The Wingracks.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Hi Ray,
    The Givi side/top plate brackets & Givi topcase mount comes with the Givi Wingrack N141 (pictured above), or the N140.
    That is the only way I think you can get them is with The Wingracks.
    Jim
    Thats how I got them

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 F3S Touring mod Aluminum sidebar primed/painted/completed for Givi topcase mount

Built new Aluminum sidebar extensions for Givi topcase mounts for 2015 F3S Touring Spyder.
    Primed/painted/mod completed, (very solid).
    Time to ryde!!!
    Enjoy.
    Jim