Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by palehorsevt View Post
    Because some of us are disabled for one reason or another and don't have the liberty of shifting with our legs but we still want to be in the wind....
    My situation exactly. I don't have the luxury of being able to use both hands or feet. Only my right hand side works. I actually love the way the SE5 shifts. I love the way the "nanny" alows u to do wicked burnouts until you back off abit and the traction control kicks in. That was a surprise for me and I am left wondering why they might have "built this in" to the design other than to allow us "automatic" (read tiptronic) riders to be hooligans once in a while. When hard on the gas this thing shifts as well as any manual I have ever ridden. I understand the value of a clutch, it allowed me to do things like in my signiture... but those days are over...
    p.s. the Ferrari F430 with tip-tronic apparently uses a similar gearbox design as the SE5 but I wonder if they have problems?

Chris
    Last edited by Questions; 02-16-2009 at 03:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering why this thread has turned into a "why I have a SM5 or why I have a SE5"
    We chose what we chose for a wide variety of reasons, really, do we need to hear why "mine is better than yours?"
    2010 RT-S, PE#0011 (Babyanlee's "Evil Twin" in Australia), Garmin Zumo 660

Extremely Happy 2nd Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
    Too many SE5 problems...and they seem to continue...why bother with the headache? Save your money, go with a SM5...spend the extra cash on mods...
    Quote Originally Posted by palehorsevt View Post
    Because some of us are disabled for one reason or another and don't have the liberty of shifting with our legs but we still want to be in the wind....
    Quote Originally Posted by strats View Post
    I'm wondering why this thread has turned into a "why I have a SM5 or why I have a SE5"
    We chose what we chose for a wide variety of reasons, really, do we need to hear why "mine is better than yours?"
    There are a few things you can count on in these boards...

Lamonster will often being doing his "last mod"

Tatt2r will hate any windshield taller than the BRP ultra sport windshield

Bonecrusher will try to steer everyone to the SM5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post

EXACTLY!!!!!

SE5 5800 Miles very little problems!
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by one2doo View Post
    I like changing gears,turning knobs,pushing buttons and pulling leavers. Riding would be boring without.
    Wouldn't know what to do without a clutch lever and a foot shifter!

Spyder Garage

Default SE5 TRANSMISSION

My wife and I bought the SE5's just for ease of crusing. unfortunately hers went only 1400 miles before downshift failure caused the clutch to burn out. Starting out in other than first gear [sometimes in fourth or worse] in bumper to bumper traffic cooked the thing. Now BRP says that is the only clutch we get under warranty [written on the RO]. One ride after the new clutch and the trans is still not downshifting in traffic after full warm. No codes but the dealer can't seem to find anything wrong with it. The factory is just blowing us off and won't let us talk to their tech who would have the answers. The machine has been in the shop about 1/2 the time we have owned it.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Just My Humble Opinion

I can only speak from experience with my I had a shifting problem from day 1. Was told by sales-man, I musta just hit the button wrong Anyways, others have talked about the SE5 Recall, but with My RT-S, if I am not FULL on oil, I'll start having shifting issues. As long as its full, I'm fine. I know on the RS/GS's they talk about being over-full & having blow-by issues, but Ive never had this problem. Again, this is just my personal experience

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It was probably mentioned in this thread, but I may have missed it, but there is a a ground wire fix for the shifting issue on the SE5's, and its part of the service bulletin fix that you dealer will do for you. If you search this forum you will see how others have simply done it themselves, it's not that hard, Just be sure to run BOTH ground wires, we found the one shorter wire did not do the trick.

On another note, my wife, who has never ridden a motorcycle has the SE5 and that is how I got her to ride with me. So while I have the SM5 for the "fun" she has it cuz it takes the fear out of the extras you have to pay attention to.

Also on another note, even with the "fix" she still has the shifting issues with it getting stuck in mostly 5th gear, just not as often now. One time it even stuck in reverse and the only way we fixed that was to remove the key, walk away with the key from the bike for about 2 minutes, then put the key back in and it worked. Weird.

Spyder Garage

Oops--someone found a thread from 12/2008-2/2009. I've done it too!
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

So far, after getting the clutch replaced early on because it would get stuck in first gear and have a big delay getting to neutral at a stop (BRP issued a recall for this), our SE5 has been very good. No shifting problems to speak of. This is part of the reason I like to downshift myself and not rely on the tranny to do it. I guess I don't have as much faith in it as I'd like. As others have mentioned, making sure you are off of the throttle completelty is very important.
    Last edited by Raptor; 02-25-2011 at 02:57 PM.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Default SE5 shifting

I have the 2008 model SE-5. I have had a couple of shifting problems over 4xxx miles I have put on it. I bought mine used and the original owner was using a full synthetic MC oil. The dealer replaced that with BRP Semi-synthetic oil at 3000 miles. For the most part that reduced the shift problems. Just did a 6xxx oil change 1 week ago. 500 miles since then and the shifts are smooth with not a problem so far. Perhaps oil, perhaps new trans filter, not sure but like the way it behaves now.

Spyder Garage

Oh great.. Another thing to worry about.. I just got my 2008 SE5 and only got to ride it twice before DPS recall and bad weather .. Now as Warm weather is coming.. I get to worry about the thing not shifting correctly.. I really hope not.. the nearest dealer is 120 miles away and right now I have to borrow a trailer from my uncle to haul the Spyder if something is wrong with it.. It is hard to stay optimistic.. I hope I dont end up with the Spyder in the shop more than on the road.. Plus it would make the Spyder look bad because everyone I know would be saying.. "Man that Spyder stays in the shop".. I love the Spyder and think it is the coolest thing ever.. but you have to admitt.. there is alot of issues and problems mentioned on this site..Which also helps problems get solved and that is awesom too.. but I am a newbie and nervious about all this.. I hope I didnt leap into debt for a lemon.. just hard to have confidence sometmes.. Ah.. nothing is ever simple is it..

Spyder Garage

I put 20K on my 08--before trading it in. No shifting problems. We have 20K on an 09--no shifting problems. I have 13K on my 2010--no shifting problems. I think you are going to be all right. This did not seem to be an across the board thing.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Great Dealer

In my last post I failed to mention that the dealer here in southern California has been very kind and has faithfully followed up on all factory updates and the lot. They said that on our 2010, all previous service bulletins had been performed before the machine left the factory. I have been a mechanic a long time and feel that the down shift problem in my case may be heat related. I am told that they are going to replace the shift paddle to see if this solves our problem. I have my doubts. The failure to down shift problem showed up after a 50 plus mile ride [new clutch] while in major traffic and stopped at a light. Basically the same as before. Very scary for my wife. Anybody else have any ideas? Heat related issues could be; module, wiring [ground], solenoids, internal in the trans, oil level?. What else?

Thanks all for the kindness

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GA-SPYDER View Post
    Just curious, how many folks with SE5's haven't had any problems? BRP needs to step up.
    Got my RT-S last August. It now has over 6K perfectly carefree/maintenance-free miles. I'm so sorry to hear of everyone's issues.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Seek and ye shall find!

Well, well, well. I came here to see if anyone had a problem similar to what I experienced yesterday, and here it is! I do love this place.

Now, to begin with, on at least 3 occasions, my Spyder, Clyde, has died on me. Every time was after I had been ryding for a while, then stopped for a bit (10 minutes to a few hours), then started again. Every time, he died very shortly after starting back up, the first 2 times I only went about 30 feet or so. I took him to the shop a few weeks ago to have them check it out, where they performed my 3k service (early), and attributed the problem to the fuel filter, as they found no codes, and the filter had a good bit of crap in it. Clyde did run more smoothly, so I thought they were probably right. This last time he died, Friday night, I had gone about 3 blocks. Crap. I called the dealership Saturday and reported that the problem happened again. I spoke to both the service dept. and my salesman, telling them to all put their heads together and come up with a game plan before I bring the bike back, as it is about a 70-80 mile drive.

Went ryding Saturday, among mountains and curves. Braking and going into a curve, the tranny went haywire. It was trying to shift, I think, but couldn't. The engine was revving repeatedly, and it was stuck in 5th gear. I was able to dive into a small gas station, and pulled to a stop, still in 5th, the engine still revving wildly. I cut the engine and rolled out of the way. Restarted. Still in 5th. It refused to downshift manually either before or after the restart. Turned it off again, and waited a few minutes, while my panicked sister, who I had been following, zipped back to find me (quite a sight - a pink Spyder flying to the rescue). I told her what was going on, and she told me an odd thing - her Spyder had done something similar about a week ago.

Her bike stayed in 5th when she stopped at a light, and stayed at a high rev, not revving repeatedly like mine. Finally, she was able to downshift manually, and continued on without further trouble. What was odd was that she had her 3k service... exactly one week before mine.

After sitting for several minutes, I restarted Clyde again. He was still in 5th, but after several attempts, I was finally able to manually downshift. The rest of the ryde (about 80 miles, with 3 stops) went fine.

I wish I had thought to check the rpm gauge, but I have only been ryding since October, and wasn't able to ryde long before it got too cold, and, noob that I am, was a bit panicked.

So tomorrow, I will speak with both service and salesman, inform them about both bikes (both are 2009 models), and drag my unhappy butt back to the dealership and waste another day of my life having Clyde checked out. I think I will insist that they get all the needed parts before I make the trip, which I will have to make on a Saturday. So help me, if I end up doing this on my birthday, somebody is gonna suffer.

Spyder Garage

Default DOWNSHIFT PROBLEM UPDATE

Sorry to hear about your downshift problem which is similar to the ones my wife had on her 2010 RS. A common theme that I had not caught before is the engine dying problem. I wonder if these two problems are somehow related? Maybe through the computer module in charge of such things. One of our machines did the dying thing like yours on occasion from new. We reported it to the dealer on the 3000 mile service but "No codes were found".

Anyway, this time our dealer replaced the paddle shifter "'cause it was the cheapest thing to replace" and we have put a couple of hundred miles on it since. It slow downshifted once since then on a panic stop which I would assume is a normal situation.

It did make clear that the machine may not downshift if the engine RPM is high enough [like above 2800] where the centrifical clutch is engaged. Since the transmission is essentially a manual gear box downshifted by magic, the clutch would need to be disengaged or the blip [real technical term] sensor would need to activate for the thing to downshift. If you are having a throttle staying above idle, that may be the shifting problem too.

Keep in mind that these machines are very technical. It is easier for us [me] to be unhappy than it is for the dealer to chase our ghosts. Help your dealer all you can with information as to details surrounding the failure and it will make them feel like you are a partner in their repair efforts. good luck and I hope yours doesn't wipe out the clutch like ours did.

Spyder Garage

Mine did the EXACT thing a couple of months ago, took to dealer, explained to him what it was doing, and he looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights when I told him about the bulletin on the Shift Control Module. AFter a few days, I called him back and lo and behold they had to order a part to fix. When I asked "what part" he said Shift Control Module . . REALLY??

It was also downshifting very hard (when it would downshift) and I ask them to fix that also. After being told for several weeks, don't know what's wrong, don't know how to fix it, and after being in the shop for a month, I finally threatened to pick it up, and take it to another dealer. I also emailed BRP, called BRP, and emailed Carlo to get the Spyder fixed. After all that, they replaced two solenoids and it's been running perfect ever since.

Hope this helps!

Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Shifting

Just bought my 2010put on 80 miles went to put it in the garage went to put it in reverse and it locked up.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) SPYDER4FUN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have almost 15,000 miles on my 2008 se5 ... ( I bought it new & have all the recalls completed ) but a couple of weeks ago she decided to act up . When I start it up it will not shift either to 1st or reverse. ( if I have accidently turned it off in reverse it will stay in reverse and not shift into neutral or 1st )
    After trying different things .. what seems to work is when I turn it off ... I then roll it either forward or backward for a few feet then start it up again ... it will go into gear.
    This has only started this past month and have had it happen 4-5 times ... I have an appointment to take her in on Tuesday .. I will post the results
    HAPPY SPYDER RYDER

4 FUN