Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

I now have everything except the hydraulic hose line. I know that it has to have a banjo fitting on the master cylinder end. Probably a 10mm to fit the one I have. What do I order for the slave end. I have the same red one that was ordered on ebay. What is the fitting called size etc that I should order on the line? If I could find a custom shop that would put a banjo on one end and reduce to a 3/16 tubing on the other end, I could just use the 90 degree fitting I have and I would put a double flare on the end of the tube after sliding my fitting over the tube. Any information on what or where I can order would be greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Force View Post
    I now have everything except the hydraulic hose line. I know that it has to have a banjo fitting on the master cylinder end. Probably a 10mm to fit the one I have. What do I order for the slave end. I have the same red one that was ordered on ebay. What is the fitting called size etc that I should order on the line? If I could find a custom shop that would put a banjo on one end and reduce to a 3/16 tubing on the other end, I could just use the 90 degree fitting I have and I would put a double flare on the end of the tube after sliding my fitting over the tube. Any information on what or where I can order would be greatly appreciated.
    JPCycles.com has pre-made hydraulic lines with different end fittings. If you know the length of the line, go there.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Hydraulic Hand Brake

Quote Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post
    I would really-really like to do this hand brake thing. But I don't want to get in over my head. I wish someone would make a kit for it.
    Someone does. Check the ISCI handbrake. It's a little pricey at $1250 but with something as important as your brakes, it's worth the expense. I installed it on my 2010 RT and have not been sorry.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    Someone does. Check the ISCI handbrake. It's a little pricey at $1250 but with something as important as your brakes, it's worth the expense. I installed it on my 2010 RT and have not been sorry.
    Thanks for the info.
    Yes I know about ISCI. And I'm sure they are very good. But the price is just ridiculous.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Good Job

Nice writeup Nexus. I like this alot.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

anyone get the Brembo & 7/8ths slave cyl to work better??

seems that there should be less fluid volume in the slave so it would get pushed further/faster?

Spyder Garage

Default Cable Hand Brake

My cable driven hand brake works great with about $60 worth of parts and my time to manufacture brackets. Several people have commented that the hand brake lever pulls pretty easily. It works in conjunction with my foot operated handbrakes so I can use either foot, hand or both brakes at once. Much of the effort to pull the brake lever depends on the angles where the brake cable connects to your bracket near the master cylinder. A straighter pull will usually work best in my experience. I also made the holes that cable fits into a little oversize so there is room for the cable to seat properly and move easily. I also used a clutch perch and lever (instead of a brake lever) which allows quite a bit of cable adjustment near the handlebars.

I have been using sewing machine oil to lube my cables. It is a very high quality oil with a precision type applicator. So far, the oil does not seem to be attracting dirt or grime and really lubes up the cable. I do not think it will degrade the inner lining of the cable either or at least I hope it doesn't. It seems to work good in sewing machines which have a lot of dust from thread and cloth, so figured it was pretty good stuff and should prevent wear.

I usually do not brake too hard if at all possible, but think I could lock up the brakes with a quick pump on my hand brake cable system. During harder braking, I seem to use both foot and hand brake just like on my previous two wheel bike. Bottom line is that brakes are nothing to do half way. That is usually why aftermarket brake stuff is so expensive. Not only the research, but the liability for the products cost a bunch. It seems to cost a lot of money to keep us from hurting ourselves (or litigating).

Before you ask, I did not take pictures while I was working up my bracket and cable hand brake system. I will try to get dimensions, photos etc the next time I have the plastic off. I may also post a picture of the bracket with dimensions so you can make your own. As several have noted, the area around the master cylinder can be a challenge to work in, so not anxious to take apart just for fun. Seems that it would just be a given to have a factory offered hand brake, but guess we will just have to work around that until one is offered.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Slave cylinder

For anyone interested the slave cylinder I found is from Coleman manufacturing part number 375-300. This place has them http://www.scpraceparts.com/billet-a...-cylinder.html as well as many others. I found one cheaper. Figuring a hand brake conversion to run around $300 with some bracket fab time thrown in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Habib View Post
    For anyone interested the slave cylinder I found is from Coleman manufacturing part number 375-300. This place has them http://www.scpraceparts.com/billet-a...-cylinder.html as well as many others. I found one cheaper. Figuring a hand brake conversion to run around $300 with some bracket fab time thrown in.
    Funny you bringing this thread back today as I've just completed this mod myself and posted about it here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...46#post1125746

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the link to your write-up. I found a few different ones but not yours. After reading it and looking at the pics I learned even more. The tip on the slave cylinder supports was a good one, thanks. To bad all versions of this particular write-up can't be in one spot. So many of us can't use our right side well enough to operate that foot brake.
    Cheers,
    Roger

Spyder Garage

Default hand brake information

Quote Originally Posted by Habib View Post
    Thanks for the link to your write-up. I found a few different ones but not yours. After reading it and looking at the pics I learned even more. The tip on the slave cylinder supports was a good one, thanks. To bad all versions of this particular write-up can't be in one spot. So many of us can't use our right side well enough to operate that foot brake.
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Has anyone updated this post or started a new thread with new information. I would really like a hand brake and I feel like many, ISCI is pricey and not in my budget. I would like to put one on my 2012 RT and need all the help I can get.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wlo48 View Post
    Has anyone updated this post or started a new thread with new information. I would really like a hand brake and I feel like many, ISCI is pricey and not in my budget. I would like to put one on my 2012 RT and need all the help I can get.
    look at post #88 above and follow the Link listed ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I’m a C7 quad . I just got a 09 spyder. I need to put a handbrake on it since I can’t use my feet. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I’ve seen the one for sale for almost 1500 bucks. Please if you could pm me or tell me a cheaper but safe way to put a handbrake on tia