Spyder Garage

Default FRUNK WILL NOT OPEN/UNLOCK

not having alot of luck with pesky little issues on new F3T (other day posted about my stuck closed glove box)
    now--The Frunk--totally not responsing to the key turn to the push pop open indent on the ignition switch--the key rotates to the position but hear no audible pop of the frunk lid--
    tried playing with the lid to make it move ajar a bit while holding the key pushed in but would not budge--
    only thing i think this newbie did wrong is closed it by just letting it fall down vertical, instead of a more gentle pop into closed place--
    theres only a helmet in there so i dont think its overstuffed--
    help please--again--
    cuts down on the places I can go as I am not able to walk around with holding the helmet--mild disabled here spyder lover here--have to be as unburdened walking around as possible--
    thanks

Spyder Garage

If you've tried pushing down on the frunk lid just in front of the catch while you turn the key & that doesn't get it to release, then it's probably because the cable isn't adjusted properly &/or one of the holders for the outer is letting it slide freely rather than pulling on the cable. And that means you wil need to use a longish probe or hook to manually push or pull the lever end of the latch until it opens; ie, slipping the probe in under the lip of the lid & manually pushing or pulling the lever that the cable normally uses to upen the latch. Not easy, but do-able!!

Once done, it might pay to check All the latches & keys, handles etc on your Spyder, it seems yours may not have had sufficient attention paid to making sure they all work properly that you might expect from the assemblers!

Good Luck!

Ps: another thing that can make frunk lids jam is if the seal isn't fitted onto its lip properly - a misplaced seal often causes their lids to jam, but they can usually be opened using the 'press down while activating the latch' method.... altho sometimes the little spring that should 'pop' the lid up is too weak to do that also, & you need to give it a hand &/or fit a helper spring!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

thank you for this peter
    i will try to see if someone can assist--i may have to end up at the dealer/service dept though to get it looked at/fixed--i wonder if would be cover by BEST--

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you've tried pushing down on the frunk lid just in front of the catch while you turn the key & that doesn't get it to release, then it's probably because the cable isn't adjusted properly &/or one of the holders for the outer is letting it slide freely rather than pulling on the cable. And that means you wil need to use a longish probe or hook to manually push or pull the lever end of the latch until it opens; ie, slipping the probe in under the lip of the lid & manually pushing or pulling the lever that the cable normally uses to upen the latch. Not easy, but do-able!!

Once done, it might pay to check All the latches & keys, handles etc on your Spyder, it seems yours may not have had sufficient attention paid to making sure they all work properly that you might expect from the assemblers!

Good Luck!

Ps: another thing that can make frunk lids jam is if the seal isn't fitted onto its lip properly - a misplaced seal often causes their lids to jam, but they can usually be opened using the 'press down while activating the latch' method.... altho sometimes the little spring that should 'pop' the lid up is too weak to do that also, & you need to give it a hand &/or fit a helper spring!

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Peter had the best answer. You should be able to reach both the frunk and the key at the same time. Personally, I never latch my frunk. I just let the lid fall. It's so light it won't latch and the wind keeps it down. If it rains, then I latch it.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

oh, that's good to know
    so you just let the hood gently fall into place but dont push down the last little bit? it wont fly up then when you're operating??
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Peter had the best answer. You should be able to reach both the frunk and the key at the same time. Personally, I never latch my frunk. I just let the lid fall. It's so light it won't latch and the wind keeps it down. If it rains, then I latch it.

Spyder Garage

I believe you can also adjust the length of the catch. There are 2 nuts at the base to make it a little longer. The longer you make it, the easier it is to open. Same thing with the seat.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

When you get an ultimate seat, you have to use the same catch and make it longer according to the directions.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic