Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    My bike is home! Service completed - fully mission capable! My cool pitbull driving lights are on and working. Thanks, Len! Misty mountain sheepskin installed! Thanks! Cup holder on, thanks Aerostich! Have a TRIC LED flag to put on (thanks Reggie!) and a couple other Farkles. Then ready to roll! Yay!
    Good to hear. When are you headed out?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brerrabbit View Post
    Welcome to Colorado. They took your picture, Spyder picture and license plate picture. You will get a bill in a couple months for the fees. Will probably be around 12-15 dollars. County Roads are measured for the county line with odd numbers increasing from west to east. Even numbers increase from south to north. Most counties in the state follow those guidelines.

A word to the wise, wild elk are resident in Estes Park. You will be getting there after the canyon run out of Loveland. In the canyon, you will probably see Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep. These will cause traffic jams so keep an eye out for stopped traffic. After getting past Estes Park and starting into the park you will see deer, elk and possibly more sheep as well as other wild beasts. Keep your eyes open and enjoy our state. US40 is a wonderful ride. The river that runs through the canyon just west of Hot Sulfur Springs seems to run up hill to me. I saw a pack of nine wolves on Gore pass one winter but if you stay on US40 between Kremmling and Steamboat Springs you will not be crossing Gore Pass. US40 will take you over Rabbit Ears pass before dropping you into Steamboat Springs. Take a few pictures for us and ride safe. Enjoy the trip to Alaska.

=bob=
    Thanks for that info, Bob.

My bike is home! Service completed - fully mission capable! My cool pitbull driving lights are on and working. Thanks, Len! Misty mountain sheepskin installed! Thanks! Cup holder on, thanks Aerostich! Have a TRIC LED flag to put on (thanks Reggie!) and a couple other Farkles. Then ready to roll! Yay!
    I'm glad you got that 2-wheeler working! And farkled out, too!

When you you and Ann heading north?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default But Joe

You would have looked sooooo great ryding B*^#h behind Ann...oh well, if you reallllly must we'll still let you join us on that fancy, sweeeeet 2 wheeler...it's the farkles that saved your entry fee!!! Wow countdown time...shirts are all sorted and sacked...(even yours!!!)
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Karyl, When do you guys actually point the bikes North, and unleash them into the Wilds of Canada?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default And the answer is....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Karyl, When do you guys actually point the bikes North, and unleash them into the Wilds of Canada?
    Monday, June 29 at 8:10:37 a.m. the North to AK folks will depart my place in Chelan headed N on 97. Bob, I have a SPOT tracker....if you would like to follow along please send me your email and I will send you the link. All is "jelling" and down to the get 'er done' phase...PrairieSpyder is the first to hit the road...others start departing on about 6/20, heading to Chelan and I have already "arrived"!!!!.....
    Can't remember if I posted the link or not but go to : golakechelan.com...under news there is article # 1 on this adventure...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I'm checked in to my cheap, but adequate hotel for the night. I'm just north of Denver. I rode 488 miles today across Kansas and the high plains of Colorado. I've driven that route numerous times in summer and winter, mostly when I was much younger. Now I remember why we always started after work or class and drove during the night. It's boring scenery!! (The other reason was we had to maximize our time off and would work all day, drive all night and be in Colorado the first full day of a vacation; ski all day before finally hitting the sack!) I love the prairie, but the mountains are much better scenery.

I was looking for a landmark I remember seeing, a touch of mid-20th century Americana, but it must have been torn down. It was an ice-cream place with the roof shaped like a giant swirl of soft-serve. I wanted to take a pic and post it, but . . oh, well. Just inside Colorado I saw a giant minion (?) set up facing the interstate at what must have been a scrap-metal yard. I couldn't find an easy turn-around, so, again . . no pic. You'll have to take my word for it!

I was tired last night and went to bed about 10 pm (early for me). I thought that's good because I wanted to get a good night sleep and get started in good time this morning. Then about 2:30 or 3, I started waking up! I slept poorly from then on. The good part is that I did get going in good time. And with Scott's advice I used a couple 5-hour energy drinks (one in the morning and one afternoon) along with plenty of water and made it to my destination easily. Including breaks for lunch, fuel, pit-stops, I averaged about 55 mph.

In Denver I took E470 by the Denver Int'l Airport. It said it was a toll road and when I got off I saw signs indicating "license plate toll" but don't know how that works. Did they take a pic of my plate and will bill me?

Something I've never seen before: I saw a sign for a county road designated CR 5 1/2. Then a bit later there was CR 6 1/4. I wonder if those indicate number of miles from some starting point.

Tomorrow I'll drive through Rocky Mountain NP and then take US40 west through northern Colorado. I expect I'll do less miles, since I'll be stopping a lot to take in the scenery.
    RE: Photos of interesting places.

See if you can find the Igloo building somewhere between Talkeetna and Fairbanks on your ride North from Eagle River.

HINT: It's on the right.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-18-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Joe rode bitch to the dealer to pick it up. We are too big for riding two up. Len, we leave on Wednesday and will be doing alignments in Spokane on Friday and Saturday.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good for him!
    I've told the Missus, that if she ever gets her license... I'll be PROUD to buy her the shirt...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-18-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Good for him!
    I've told the Missus, that if she ever gets her license... I'll be PROUD to buy her the shirt...

the fact that you're still alive indicates that neither of you think she'll ever get her license!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The bitch referred to on that shirt... would be ME!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Bob, I have a SPOT tracker....if you would like to follow along please send me your email and I will send you the link.
    Something that you might consider with your SPOT if you are not subscribed to the SPOT Assist program. Set up the Help/Assist message to send an email to someone you can depend on, like Bob, that says you are broke down or have some other significant problem, and need roadside assistance. This would be in cases where there is no danger to life or limb for which of course you would use the SOS button. Bob could then use the GPS coordinates that are in the email to figure out where you are and call for help for you. I'm sure you will be out of cell range most of the time so this would be one way to get help and send it to the exact right spot. Of course, if someone in the group has a satellite phone then you're all set to deal with an emergency.

I considered doing this for myself when I was on my trip but didn't get it done. Plus I was traveling in either cell range or on a road with traffic so I was not concerned about being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

We will have a satellite phone in the group, on the way up anyway.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

AND THE RIDE BEGINS. So Jealous. Enjoy the journey, ride safe, take lot's of pics. All the best.

Spyder Garage

Default CB Radio

QUOTE=SpyderAnn01;994494]have a satellite phone in the group, on the way up anyway.[/QUOTE]

Wife and I mid 60's going alone from Phoenix to the UP of Michigan, so I boughta portable cb that will also hook up to rear antenna I will install on bike. It also has weather station.

We plan on spending a day at Sturgis SD for the Rally. Do you think we will be the only Spyder there?
    Will be driving a Pearl White 2014 RTs s6 two up. So waive if you see us. ♡

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Today I went through Estes Park and the Rocky Mountain National Park, then US 40 to Vernal, Utah. In Estes Park, I met a couple on a pretty red 2015 RT. They were on the way home to Texas. (Sorry I can't remember their names, but they said they are on SL.)

Here's some pics of RMNP:

There were some marmots there, a couple of them really close to the look-out:

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 6/18 ryde, contionued

Here's another marmot pic:

They look like big rodents.

It was cloudy and cool when I left the hotel. Then it was nice and chilly above the tree-line in the national park. But on the western slope, it got down-right hot. By the time I was at Steamboat Springs, it was in the 90s and really a drain. I had already my a reservation at Vernal (non-refundable) so I pushed on. If I hadn't I'd have stopped sooner.

I think I'll make tomorrow an easier day. I'll stop at the Cycle Gear store near SLC and then decide which direction to head next. After today's heat, I think I'll head north to Idaho. Even if the heat is similar, I won't be ryding into the sun - until I head west again.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Can't remember if I posted the link or not but go to : golakechelan.com...under news there is article # 1 on this adventure...
    Kayrl, The article mentions a form to fill out and email to you but there is no link to the form. Do you have a link?

JT

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks so much JT

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Kayrl, The article mentions a form to fill out and email to you but there is no link to the form. Do you have a link?

JT
    Please PM me your email and I will send a form to you ... looking forward to seeing you guys in Eagle River...
    My Motto Is:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patti,
    FANTASTIC pictures!!!

Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    QUOTE=SpyderAnn01;994494]have a satellite phone in the group, on the way up anyway.
    Wife and I mid 60's going alone from Phoenix to the UP of Michigan, so I boughta portable cb that will also hook up to rear antenna I will install on bike. It also has weather station.

We plan on spending a day at Sturgis SD for the Rally. Do you think we will be the only Spyder there?
    Will be driving a Pearl White 2014 RTs s6 two up. So waive if you see us. ♡[/QUOTE]

Kenn,
    I camped in Glencoe at last year's Sturgis event and counted 3 other Spyder RT's besides mine. I wasn't hassled and in fact was made very welcome, even though the Harley crowd had little interest in Spyders. Enjoy your trip.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I slept poorly last night (maybe the 5-hour energy drinks aren't such a good idea). So today I took it easy. I stayed at Vernal, UT, and as I got closer to Heber City, the countryside got prettier. Still kinda desert, but a bit greener. I rode through some pretty canyons between Heber City and Orem. I went that way so I could stop at the Cycle Gear shop just north of there. My iMap sent me to the Best Buy across the street, and I had trouble finding the Cycle Gear store. Their sign isn't too prominent. But finally got there and bought a couple items. Then spent some time getting refreshed at a McDonald's while I decided which way to go next.

I decided to go back to plan A, going north from SLC through Idaho, then west to Oregon.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default The View

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    My wife Karen and I are the couple that will meet the group at the border and plan to lead them on some roads they will not be aware of as they start their adventure through BC Canada. This won't add significantly to the time spent traveling on their first day but will give them an opportunity to see the amazing vineyards and orchards we live among.
    It has been fun for me working with Karyl in the planning of their trip through BC and the Yukon as we have done these routes several times including Alaska. I have not said much about Alaska however as I could not possibly be as familiar with it as Akspyderman.
    Unfortunately we can't travel the whole trip with the group as our vacation plans this year were already made but we will be traveling with them in spirit and hope to keep track of their adventures.
    This is the view that we are forced to endure every day.

Gary
    SPEECHLESS, Awsome, wish I had a view like that to Endure everyday!!!! Wonderful, Midnightbreeze, Y'all have a wonderful trip!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am now in Klamath Falls, Oregon. I was so tired at Vernal, Utah, I decided to make Friday a short day. There was some gear I wanted to get and there is a Cycle Gear store between SLC and Orem, so I went there. Then rode to Tremonton, Utah, for the night. There's a great little hotel there, Western Inn, that's independently owned, reasonably priced and really clean and neat. Saturday I stayed on interstates and went to Ontario, Ore. I stopped in Boise's Cycle Gear and bought a couple more things after trying out the ones I got at SLC. I stayed at Ontario Inn, which was well-recommended on Trip Advisor. I don't know if I'd do that again. Then on secondary roads to here.

Some things I've learned:

• Utah and Idaho interstate speed limits are 80 MPH! And in Utah, anyway, the work-zone limit is 70! Nice!
    • Drivers out west are nice. When I found myself in the wrong lane and needed to move over, people actually gave way for me.
    • Oregon's gas stations are all full service. But they let motorcyclists pump their own. The attendant will still operate the interactive stuff on the pump so you don't have to contend with all that. I was, at first, annoyed about it, but I found that the attendants I encountered, so far are all friendly and fonts of information.

I had the Custom Dynamics high running/brake light installed just before I left home. Now reading about the incidents in which Spyders are rear-ended makes me extra glad I did that. And, of course, when ever I saw "deer crossing" signs, and when the gas pump attendant at Christmas Valley, Oregon, warned me about the dear on the road, it made me think of what happened to Butch. Considering the extra miles I'm doing this year, I'm trying to be extra vigilant. I hope all the North-to-Alaska ryders are, too.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You sure are doing a good job of filling in your, "States Travelled " map...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Prairie Spyder, from your blog posting's seem to be doing a lot of shopping. Are you going to have room fro all the goodies ? Please keep posting as you are in a way living my dream, I certainly hope to make it out that way , but not the distance you are traveling. Please keep posting, and RYDE SAFE.