Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice

Quote Originally Posted by tbhlaw View Post
    Here is photo of our cas can setup.
    Is that normal tongue length for the 622? How did you mount? I'm thinking if I've enough time I want to do...I see what cans you ordered any other parts I need to get to recreate? Thanks...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Furl Finder

Truckmaster fuel finder is a useful web site to find truck fueling stations. It suggests by inclusion that Rancheria Lodge has gas. Swift River was listed but with a note that it is closed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    If only I could. I just thought I remembered reading in one of the earlier posts that you were going to have a support vehicle with you.

My bad.
    You remember correctly. We were going to try to get a chase vehicle to come along with parts we might need, but it didn't pan out. So we're each carrying what we think we might need. For example, I'm taking a spare trailer tire & jack, some oil and an oil filter - and a gallon of gas and octane booster. I know Joe is bringing tools.

However, if anyone wants to drop everything and go with us in their cage, carrying extra stuff, you're welcome to come along!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Gas can

The gas can in the pic is a roto pax 1.75 gal. It can be purchased on line or usually at a off road or powersport store. The retail for about $70 plus hardware that you buy seperately. The can also comes in a 4 gal. Size. The hardware allows you to carry 4 cans at one time.

Originally I attached the cans directly to my trailer tongue but I found they hung too low. So I fashioned bracket frm a steel plate which I attached tl the tongue and then attached the can to the plate. if you are using only 1 can you probably could use angle iron from a big box store. Attache it with a couple of bolts thru the tongue to hold the bracket vertical and the attach the can hardware to the angle iron.)

The trailer tongue is original. Probably a couple hour project once you have the can and brackets that go with it.
    Enlarge the pic. It is taken looking down on the tongue. The stuff at the bottom of the pic is the lock and holder for the gas can. Hope this helps. There is lots of info on internet about these cans since they are used by four wheelers, rvr's, jeepers and motorcycle riders. You may even find a bracket like I described.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only other thing he had to do was remove the trailer tongue stand.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Relax

I have a siphon hose, and an 8 gallon gas tank. I should get 40 MPG, so, will have 4 spare gallons each time. I will top off each time, so, I think we will be ok. We will get better than normal gas mileage, as we will be going significantly slower than normal speeds. Cheers! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default north to alaska

I would still HONOR the chance to be the chase vehicle, but my cruise dates do not allow it. As far as gas, I did some digging for you and not able to find any GAS at Rancheria , for those that are pulling a trailer or riding solo , throw in a 2 gallon jerry can and hope you never need it, been there and done that, never travel with the trailer now without it attached and full. Peace of mind or help a brother/sister out. Too bad about the cruise. Now am going to tackle this trip next year and go for broke. Please post all experience and any info. Good luck and as mentioned perhaps a meeting further down the road in alaska.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Is that normal tongue length for the 622? How did you mount? I'm thinking if I've enough time I want to do...I see what cans you ordered any other parts I need to get to recreate? Thanks...
    Looks like a nice setup, but the only concern I would have is the tongue weight. Gas weights 6# a gallon so the two would be 21# full. I do not know what the cans and mounting hardware weight, but I am guessing 4#.
    The max for the the tongue is 40# so that would only leave 15#
    Something to consider.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes weight is a consideration, but from what I recall most of the folk going on this sojurn were NOT CAMPING, so that would eleminate some weight issues, and extra room for gas. Above all else PLAY/RIDE SAFE.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Looks like a nice setup, but the only concern I would have is the tongue weight. Gas weights 6# a gallon so the two would be 21# full. I do not know what the cans and mounting hardware weight, but I am guessing 4#.
    The max for the the tongue is 40# so that would only leave 15#
    Something to consider.
    Les, I think you are forgetting that the weight aft of the axle will counterbalance the weight on the tongue.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I wish all of you the best. Almost joined up but too many things going on this summer.

One word of caution: Two of my neighbors made this trip in 2012 on a Gold Wing and a BMW adventure. A little more than halfway at a gas stop the Gold Wing was filled with DEISEL Fuel inadvertently. Not sure how this happened but both swore they were pumping gas. Some one put deisel into the gas holding tank at a fuel stop or the pumps were incorrectly marked. Anyway, after this the Goldwing would not run and had to be towed all the way to Anchorage for a large fee to be fixed. Some of these are remote gas stops and not your suburban designer gas station .

Trust but verify.

I wish you all the best. Have a wonderful ride and God Speed.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Teaser time!

For those of you who like riding in the mountains...

Check out Chris 56 video of some beautiful German scenery...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ustria-8215-ft

If you like this, I have Two similar locations we are going to visit.

Turnagain Pass and Hatcher Pass. The only thing we wont have is the spiral ramp.

One location shown in my signature picture.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Check it out

GoLakeChelan.com is doing a series in regards to North to Alaska: The below link is their first article...when will become media stars at the BBQ on 6/28 and they will also be at our "send-off" a.m. on 6/29 and will publish related articles. Hope the link works...

http://golakechelan.com/News/Samaritan_riders_raise_money_for_Addie_on_trip_to_ Alaska/6CE76540-C07B-42BC-B420-1402644F7BAC
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    GoLakeChelan.com is doing a series in regards to North to Alaska: The below link is their first article...when will become media stars at the BBQ on 6/28 and they will also be at our "send-off" a.m. on 6/29 and will publish related articles. Hope the link works...

http://golakechelan.com/News/Samaritan_riders_raise_money_for_Addie_on_trip_to_ Alaska/6CE76540-C07B-42BC-B420-1402644F7BAC
    ​Link doesn't work for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe we need to add a, "www" in there somewhere?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Copy and Paste

Copy the link and paste it in your address bar and it will work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Aha!
    Thanks for that tip!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default On the road again!!

On the road again!!

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have fun! Travel Safe!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Kansas to Colorado

I'm checked in to my cheap, but adequate hotel for the night. I'm just north of Denver. I rode 488 miles today across Kansas and the high plains of Colorado. I've driven that route numerous times in summer and winter, mostly when I was much younger. Now I remember why we always started after work or class and drove during the night. It's boring scenery!! (The other reason was we had to maximize our time off and would work all day, drive all night and be in Colorado the first full day of a vacation; ski all day before finally hitting the sack!) I love the prairie, but the mountains are much better scenery.

I was looking for a landmark I remember seeing, a touch of mid-20th century Americana, but it must have been torn down. It was an ice-cream place with the roof shaped like a giant swirl of soft-serve. I wanted to take a pic and post it, but . . oh, well. Just inside Colorado I saw a giant minion (?) set up facing the interstate at what must have been a scrap-metal yard. I couldn't find an easy turn-around, so, again . . no pic. You'll have to take my word for it!

I was tired last night and went to bed about 10 pm (early for me). I thought that's good because I wanted to get a good night sleep and get started in good time this morning. Then about 2:30 or 3, I started waking up! I slept poorly from then on. The good part is that I did get going in good time. And with Scott's advice I used a couple 5-hour energy drinks (one in the morning and one afternoon) along with plenty of water and made it to my destination easily. Including breaks for lunch, fuel, pit-stops, I averaged about 55 mph.

In Denver I took E470 by the Denver Int'l Airport. It said it was a toll road and when I got off I saw signs indicating "license plate toll" but don't know how that works. Did they take a pic of my plate and will bill me?

Something I've never seen before: I saw a sign for a county road designated CR 5 1/2. Then a bit later there was CR 6 1/4. I wonder if those indicate number of miles from some starting point.

Tomorrow I'll drive through Rocky Mountain NP and then take US40 west through northern Colorado. I expect I'll do less miles, since I'll be stopping a lot to take in the scenery.
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 06-17-2015 at 11:26 PM.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you are off to a good start Patti. Ride safe and we will see you in 10 days or so.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    In Denver I took E470 by the Denver Int'l Airport. It said it was a toll road and when I got off I saw signs indicating "license plate toll" but don't know how that works. Did they take a pic of my plate and will bill me?

Something I've never seen before: I saw a sign for a county road designated CR 5 1/2. Then a bit later there was CR 6 1/4. I wonder if those indicate number of miles from some starting point.

Tomorrow I'll drive through Rocky Mountain NP and then take US40 west through northern Colorado. I expect I'll do less miles, since I'll be stopping a lot to take in the scenery.
    Welcome to Colorado. They took your picture, Spyder picture and license plate picture. You will get a bill in a couple months for the fees. Will probably be around 12-15 dollars. County Roads are measured for the county line with odd numbers increasing from west to east. Even numbers increase from south to north. Most counties in the state follow those guidelines.

A word to the wise, wild elk are resident in Estes Park. You will be getting there after the canyon run out of Loveland. In the canyon, you will probably see Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep. These will cause traffic jams so keep an eye out for stopped traffic. After getting past Estes Park and starting into the park you will see deer, elk and possibly more sheep as well as other wild beasts. Keep your eyes open and enjoy our state. US40 is a wonderful ride. The river that runs through the canyon just west of Hot Sulfur Springs seems to run up hill to me. I saw a pack of nine wolves on Gore pass one winter but if you stay on US40 between Kremmling and Steamboat Springs you will not be crossing Gore Pass. US40 will take you over Rabbit Ears pass before dropping you into Steamboat Springs. Take a few pictures for us and ride safe. Enjoy the trip to Alaska.

=bob=
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brerrabbit View Post
    They took your picture, Spyder picture and license plate picture. You will get a bill in a couple months for the fees. Will probably be around 12-15 dollars.
    Don't sweat the bill. My guess is you'll never see it. I went through some of those toll camera spots a couple of years ago on my Goldwing, and I think last year on my Spyder. Never have gotten a bill.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Yay!

My bike is home! Service completed - fully mission capable! My cool pitbull driving lights are on and working. Thanks, Len! Misty mountain sheepskin installed! Thanks! Cup holder on, thanks Aerostich! Have a TRIC LED flag to put on (thanks Reggie!) and a couple other Farkles. Then ready to roll! Yay!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    My bike is home! Service completed - fully mission capable! My cool pitbull driving lights are on and working. Thanks, Len! Misty mountain sheepskin installed! Thanks! Cup holder on, thanks Aerostich! Have a TRIC LED flag to put on (thanks Reggie!) and a couple other Farkles. Then ready to roll! Yay!
    Looking forward to seeing that bad boy in person
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue