Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not thrilled about the new fuel stops distances. You are making it impossible for the 998 to go between stations without having to stop to empty a gas can. Not much of a time savings there. If it is windy or uphill I can not make 165 pulling my trailer with the 1330 and I know there is no way that a 998 pulling a trailer can make it.

Maybe we will have to go in two groups, those that can make it and those that can not.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And another thing, if we are traveling around 55 mph it would take 3 hours to go 165 miles. That is a very long time to be in the saddle, even for someone who rides long distance frequently like I do.

At 55 I might make the 165 distance, don't know as I don't usually travel that slowly but it is still too far for the 998 pulling a trailer.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I'm not thrilled about the new fuel stops distances. You are making it impossible for the 998 to go between stations without having to stop to empty a gas can. Not much of a time savings there. If it is windy or uphill I can not make 165 pulling my trailer with the 1330 and I know there is no way that a 998 pulling a trailer can make it.

Maybe we will have to go in two groups, those that can make it and those that can not.
    Believe me Ann I looked and tried to find all stops within 145 miles at the max. If Rancheria has gas and are open then that leg will be 62 miles and then 100 miles to Teslin. That is the only one that could be 165 miles between gas stops.

Believe me it's not me, but where gas is available that is dictating where we have to stop.

Gary(who lives is BC) pointed out that 7 of the stops I had first planned on did not have gas. This is why I had to create a new list.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Question 2012 Mileage

I pull a trailer with my 2012 998. There is no way I can make 165 miles between gas stops. Should my wife and I simply plan our own gas stops? I can do about 130 depending on speed and rolling terrain?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From everything I've read, we should drive on the top of our tanks and buy fuel as it's available. I'm bringing a 1-gal can that will ride in my passenger seat. If someone needs it and I don't I'd be glad to share. It can be refilled whenever we stop.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    From everything I've read, we should drive on the top of our tanks and buy fuel as it's available. I'm bringing a 1-gal can that will ride in my passenger seat. If someone needs it and I don't I'd be glad to share. It can be refilled whenever we stop.
    1 gal may be enough spare for a 1330 but not for a 998. Gas station spacing was a concern of mine when I was planning on going. I think what PW is saying is that's how far apart the gas stations are. Somebody better do some serious looking & planning about gas stops & how much spare you need to carry. For your sakes I sure hope I'm dead wrong! Based on my travel experience I suggest for the 998s you plan on 110 miles max pulling a trailer @ 50 to 55 mph for a tank & no more than 20 miles more for each gal of spare gas.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

And another thing, if we are traveling around 55 mph it would take 3 hours to go 165 miles. That is a very long time to be in the saddle, even for someone who rides long distance frequently like I do.

At 55 I might make the 165 distance, don't know as I don't usually travel that slowly but it is still too far for the 998 pulling a trailer.
    I am only planning where we stop for gas. Where we stop for food, breaks, pictures, and so forth I have no say, but I have to think that we will be stopping more often that just for gas.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tbhlaw View Post
    I pull a trailer with my 2012 998. There is no way I can make 165 miles between gas stops. Should my wife and I simply plan our own gas stops? I can do about 130 depending on speed and rolling terrain?
    This is why I tried to find gas every 140 miles. If Rancheria Lodge has gas then you should have no issue, but plan on the distance to be 165 miles and carry extra gas. There are no other gas stations available between Junction and Teslin (then at Rancheria lodge) which is 162 miles.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    My recommendation also. I was sucking fumes between Tok and Destruction Bay because I did not re-fill at 50 miles or so past Tok (Beaver Creek). It was a scary last 30 miles or so. No spare gas can was along. We were both driving 998's here.

My advice: Same as PrairieSpyder above--when in doubt, fill or re-fill when given the opportunity. In most cases--you should encounter opportunities every 100 miles or less. I do not recommend letting your gas tanks run below 50%, if possible.

For me, the advantages are, you are able to get off the and stretch, you will not have to ride scared of running out, if you get any bad fuel, it will not screw up your as badly as a full tank.

Milepost 2015 will give most current gas stops--but don't bet the farm on it.

PW has done some good planning and you folks will get it all worked out.

UPSIDE: You folks are traveling during the busiest part of the season. All the seasonal gas stations are open and eager to take your money.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-15-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    1 gal may be enough spare for a 1330 but not for a 998. Gas station spacing was a concern of mine when I was planning on going. I think what PW is saying is that's how far apart the gas stations are. Somebody better do some serious looking & planning about gas stops & how much spare you need to carry. For your sakes I sure hope I'm dead wrong! Based on my travel experience I suggest for the 998s you plan on 110 miles max pulling a trailer @ 50 to 55 mph for a tank & no more than 20 miles more for each gal of spare gas.
    The lowest fuel mileage reported by a member of our troop is 26. I based the 140 mile max based off of that as that would take 5.4 gallons. I don't see anyone with the 1330 needing extra gas since your mileage would have to drop below 30 in order to not make 165 miles on a tank.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

BTW based on 26mpg an extra gal would get the 998 182 miles.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    The lowest fuel mileage reported by a member of our troop is 26. I based the 140 mile max based off of that as that would take 5.4 gallons.
    Pulling a trailer??? With headwind on the Interstate I have been as low as 16 mpg. Best I've ever gotten pulling my non-aero trailer is 24 mpg. From all I've read on SL 26 is on the high end for optimistic planning. But since I'm not going feel free to tell me to butt out!! I just want it all to work out well for you all!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Pulling a trailer??? With headwind on the Interstate I have been as low as 16 mpg. Best I've ever gotten pulling my non-aero trailer is 24 mpg. From all I've read on SL 26 is on the high end for optimistic planning. But since I'm not going feel free to tell me to butt out!! I just want it all to work out well for you all!
    I appreciate your input and fell free to share!

The lowest I ever got with the 1330 was 30 mpg pulling the trailer on an interstate doing 80mph into the wind.

There will be no interstates on this ride and our highest speed should only be 60 so that will help.

I can only use what I am told so if 26mpg is not correct then we may have issues, but it doesn't change the fact that gas stations are far apart on some sections of our trip.

Again - those riding Spyders with the 998 motor should plan on carrying extra gas.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Rancherie Gas

Tried to call the Rancheria Lodge to see if they have gas. Could not get through however. Maybe someone else more familiar with calling in Canada can try. Bought 2 roto pax 1.75 gas cans in case. If you search for Rancheria Lodge Yukon you can find the number but I guess there are country codes and exit codes i know nothing about.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let me apologize for causing an uproar. I thought the reason for the change was to eliminate extra gas stops, I didn't realize that this is all that is available.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tried to call the Rancheria Lodge to see if they have gas. Could not get through however. Maybe someone else more familiar with calling in Canada can try. Bought 2 roto pax 1.75 gas cans in case. If you search for Rancheria Lodge Yukon you can find the number but I guess there are country codes and exit codes i know nothing about.
    I just call direct with area code and number, just like in the States. Using my cell phone. No need for country codes, etc..
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Ann

Let me apologize for causing an uproar. I thought the reason for the change was to eliminate extra gas stops, I didn't realize that this is all that is available.
    I just cxl'd my order for the "tender trailer" for gas...to pull behind my 622 All is good for getting fuel for our rydes...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

PMFJI, but aren't you having a support vehicle or two traveling with you? Can't that carry extra gas? The support vehicle for the Road Warriors ride last week carried a large gas tank and pump with them. Maybe you could do something similar?
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    PMFJI, but aren't you having a support vehicle or two traveling with you? Can't that carry extra gas? The support vehicle for the Road Warriors ride last week carried a large gas tank and pump with them. Maybe you could do something similar?
    You are welcome to come drive a support vehicle for us, unfortunately we do not have BRP sponsorship for our ride, like they did last week and the cost of a chase vehicle is more than any of us cared to spend.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

You are welcome to come drive a support vehicle for us, unfortunately we do not have BRP sponsorship for our ride, like they did last week and the cost of a chase vehicle is more than any of us cared to spend.
    If only I could. I just thought I remembered reading in one of the earlier posts that you were going to have a support vehicle with you.

My bad.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Planning

"It is what it is" between places that have gas. We will carry gas for both our bikes. Our gas cans carry 1.75 gal. Each. Travelling at highway not freeway speeds we will be close to empty maybe once or twice depending on what is open or closed. But this will be a "go with the flow trip" for us. We also will stop on our own probably more frequently to "top off" and stretch.

We greatly appreciate all the planning and want those who have spent their time on our behalf to know we are grateful to them.

Spyder Garage

Here is photo of our cas can setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I think it was very good you brought it up. On a trip of this sort everyone needs to be well aware of what you're dealing with. This uproar helps accomplish that! In some ways I wish I was going with you all, but on the other hand in some ways I'm glad I'm not! Have a great trip!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Call to Rancheria

Diect dial to number on Rancheria website through Verizon with ipone did nir work. I now have tried email.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Diect dial to number on Rancheria website through Verizon with ipone did nir work. I now have tried email.
    Their website is weird.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622