Default great thread

thanks for letting us tag along
    Attached Images Attached Images

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Quote from Murphy brown "an outhouse (with no door, but the view is SPECTACULAR)"

I almost fell over when i read that, not sure what view she was talking about.

Cruzr Joe
    Hey Joe, Don't you know "that the view from the Outhouse" ALWAYS depends on which way you are facing!
    (Use lots of "Quick-lime". it helps with at least ONE of the views! )
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-08-2015 at 08:16 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Ann, how is the

new rear Yokohama S Drive and Federal front tires holding up and performing on the Alaska adventure?
    Lets ride!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The tires are doing great. I can't see any visible wear (5,000 miles or so) and they handle great in rain, mud and gravel.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Questions

Love this thread. I want to do a trip up through glacier park into Canada some day soon.

Questions: how many riders on this trip have seat warmers, grip warmers? How many have custom seats or pads on their seats, and if so, what type?

What gear or add ons do y'all think are absolutely required for such a long trip? For comfort or safety? Would think we all could learn a bit here.

Thanks!!

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ann, I might have missed the post and I am following your movements on "Spot" then looking on street view on google maps, but, where are the dealers located in case you get in trouble which apparently has happened? And what is the route home? Safe travels to all, the ryde of a lifetime.
    Brian
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The tires are doing great. I can't see any visible wear (5,000 miles or so) and they handle great in rain, mud and gravel.
    Thanks. I was about to ask the same thing. I've got 4K on my soft rear Kenda and by 5k it'll be down to the carcass. Granted the current ones being sold are back to the harder compound but I'd really like to go for the S Drive if it gets SpyderAnn's seal of approval. Keep us posted as you rack up more miles on this trip. I know you will.

I apologize. I don't know where the thumbs-down came from in the title bar. Now the edit function won't let me get rid of it. I didn't intentionally put anything in there but it should be a thumbs up!
    Last edited by gypsy_100; 07-09-2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Errata

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default You all be safe

Sounds amazing I'm glad the spyders are hold up, they are great machines! The pics are amazing! I have just one question how are you able to stay on your spyders so long? Seat pads aftermaket seats?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Pictures

Everyone keeps committing about the pictures, where are they being posted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These are 2 pics Karyl took yesterday with her new camera.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Posting pics from today's ride.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got the BRP Comfort seat and backrest, there are some Ultimate seats, Corbin and even a Russell Day Long (I want one). Joe"s KTM may be the only heated seat but I know he hasn't turned it on yet. I've seen an Air Hawk cushion and several of us have sheepskins. Must haves are good rain gear and a variety of clothes for cold to hot weather.

There are three dealers in the Anchorage area and we quickly found out which the good ones are and who the bad one was. There was a dealer in Whitehorse, YT and I think that is it between here and Washington. Two bikes were serviced today and two are going in tomorrow to the Eagle River dealer. Today's repairs were rear shock related. On a 2014 RT the shock would only hold 36 psi and it was a computer programming issue. On the 2012 RT his compressor was bad and he opted to have them bypass it so he can manually fill it.

Tomorrow a 2012 RT goes in for what we are thinking are bad vacuum hoses, this is the same bike that was serviced in Vancouver WA before we left. Another 2012 is going in to be checked out. Today it would show both N and R along with another dash light.

Here a few pictures from our ride today down the Seward Highway to Hope AK and then to a glacier (can't remember the name of it) then we had a delicious Chinese dinner with AK Spyderman and AKSpyderlady and ths rest of the group.

I I had a passenger today and still got 36.7 mpg with my trailer!!
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I've got the BRP Comfort seat and backrest, there are some Ultimate seats, Corbin and even a Russell Day Long (I want one). Joe"s KTM may be the only heated seat but I know he hasn't turned it on yet. I've seen an Air Hawk cushion and several of us have sheepskins. Must haves are good rain gear and a variety of clothes for cold to hot weather.

There are three dealers in the Anchorage area and we quickly found out which the good ones are and who the bad one was. There was a dealer in Whitehorse, YT and I think that is it between here and Washington. Two bikes were serviced today and two are going in tomorrow to the Eagle River dealer. Today's repairs were rear shock related. On a 2014 RT the shock would only hold 36 psi and it was a computer programming issue. On the 2012 RT his compressor was bad and he opted to have them bypass it so he can manually fill it.

Tomorrow a 2012 RT goes in for what we are thinking are bad vacuum hoses, this is the same bike that was serviced in Vancouver WA before we left. Another 2012 is going in to be checked out. Today it would show both N and R along with another dash light.

Here a few pictures from our ride today down the Seward Highway to Hope AK and then to a glacier (can't remember the name of it) then we had a delicious Chinese dinner with AK Spyderman and AKSpyderlady and ths rest of the group.

I I had a passenger today and still got 36.7 mpg with my trailer!!
    Portage Glacier.
    The 10 plus 's lined up anywhere bring a lot of attention and tourists taking pictures of tourists.

Rock Star time for all the NTA riders.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Saddle

Lots of practice to find the saddle for you. These 10 hour days are a breeze after 14-16! Sheepskin ( misty mountain sheepskin; they rock!!), proper riding gear, comfortable layers to manage wind, water and cold, waterproof boots, thick wool socks. Practice, practice, practice! A trip like this is easy if you are properly kitted and practiced. Being warm and dry means a great ride! Wet and cold just makes it miserable! We were discussing how comfortable we were at 60 degrees, all day! Cathy said her outfit was a "space suit", and had a microclimate of its own! She did great, comfortable and warm all day. Just fantastic! Awesome job by Dwayne and Linda! Our tour guides are the best!
    More rides mean no surprises. We brought a trailer full of tools, a manual, and spydercodes! No trouble we can't handle!
    Cheers!
    Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide kid View Post
    Love this thread. I want to do a trip up through glacier park into Canada some day soon.

Questions: how many riders on this trip have seat warmers, grip warmers? How many have custom seats or pads on their seats, and if so, what type?

What gear or add ons do y'all think are absolutely required for such a long trip? For comfort or safety? Would think we all could learn a bit here.

Thanks!!
    Joe's KTM and my Russell Day Long are heated and I have turned it on twice. I believe all of us have heated grips.
    Good rain gear, or waterproof riding jackets and pants are required. It's best to have layers that allow you to cover a wide range of temperatures as we have ridden in 40's to 113⁰ on this trip.
    Taking breaks and drinking lots of water helps you stay alert as does 5 hour energy drink.
    The best thing is having great people to ride with
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

AWESOME pictures!!

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronc320x320 View Post
    Everyone keeps committing about the pictures, where are they being posted.
    In this thread. What browser are you using that you cannot see them?
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Spyder Garage

Default Just a few thoughts....

Luv reading the posts...see that someone asked what do you need to know to do such an adventure trip. Here is my observations...it is all about the people and who you can attract to travel with you. Like a tourist talking to tourist (me) yesterday said wow were you all friends before you started on this journey. Answer NO...but we all are Spyderlovers and that is what makes the difference IMHO...as far as what do you need...others have covered variety of clothing for varied temps...Great rain gear a must...altho I have worn my rain gear very little...but my mid weight ryding jacket is 100% waterproof (no no on stating water repellant!!!). What have I added to my usual traveling "stuff"?...a 12 volt (small) air compressor to replace that pretty new bicycle pump I was carrying "just in case" to fluff a tire up!!! Haven't had to use but I am soooo ready...Yep that is all I have had to add to what I consider nice/essential to have. Also, for me, is my attitude...as it controls my altitude and pleasure. I have no expectations of anyone or anything...I just deal with what happens and I refuse to let anyone or anything rob me of my JOY in this incredible country and these incredible people. Do I recommend going North to Alaska. ABSOLUTELY and I'm only 4000 miles into this journey. Any specific ?'s please ask and I will give you my opinion.
    A great plus has been having seasoned AK/BC/YUKon input. Then getting to Eagle River area and 'akspydereman and akspyderlady' have been the most incredible, knowledgable and willing ryde captains...NICE VERY NICE>
    Well the merry band of folks are telling tales over morning coffee...have a few to add myself!!!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default What a party!

AKSpyderman and AKSpyderlady threw us a going away party tonight and we had great food, great company and it topped of a great time for us in Eagle River/Anchorage. Tomorrow we gat to sleep in and take a short ride to Healy in preparation for our Denali adventure.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

What a nice day! Fine meal with great people, got to square away 4 Spyders, slept in and barely got rained on! Just a great day! Tomorrow looks great, too! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What an awesome party at Dwayne and Linda's. They sure know how to feed a crowd. We couldn't have asked for better hosts here in the Anchorage area, they went over the top for us. Tomorrow the group begins to separate with Fred and Cathy heading toward the ferry boat. The rest of us are heading to Denali where we will take the bus tour.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Would someone please put names to the faces in the group picture?
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What an awesome party at Dwayne and Linda's. They sure know how to feed a crowd. We couldn't have asked for better hosts here in the Anchorage area, they went over the top for us. Tomorrow the group begins to separate with Fred and Cathy heading toward the ferry boat. The rest of us are heading to Denali where we will take the bus tour.
    Sounds great. If "the ferry" means the Alaskan State Ferry, they'll have a great trip. Beautiful scenery, stop at some interesting towns (be prepared to share those towns with thousands of people from the cruise ships!). We got off at Prince Rupert and the ride from there east was incredibly beautiful. Don't know how far they're going. But they'll enjoy it. Keep us posted on Denali!

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What an awesome party at Dwayne and Linda's. They sure know how to feed a crowd. We couldn't have asked for better hosts here in the Anchorage area, they went over the top for us.
    At least now we know who to put in charge of Party-Planning!!
    Now that they've shown how it's done in Alaska; we'll have to get them down here!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't say enough how much I appreciate Linda and Dwayne's hospitality while we were at Eagle River. Daily rydes, good restaurants, and home-cooked banquet at Dwayne's house. It was wonderful fellowship and the last time all the NtA would be together, since Fred and Cathy left this morning for a ryde to Haines where they'll catch the ferry back to Bellingham, Wash. After the Denali excursion the group will disperse even more, but I'm sure we'll keep blogging here.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)