Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration issue

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration issue

Hi all,

has any dealer, anywhere, come one up with a game plan to deal with the F3 vibration.... There is no way I should have to spend 24k on a bike I can't ride the speed limit without it feeling like a blender full of rocks.....

mark
    Last edited by Nyparrothead; 05-26-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nyparrothead View Post
    Hi all,

has any dealer, anywhere, come one up with a game plan to deal with the F3 vibration.... There is no way I should have to spend 24k on a bike I can't ride the speed limit without it feeling like a blender full of rocks.....

mark
    Strange, I spend 19k for my F3 and it has no vibration issue. Are you in 6th gear on the highway? remember too, this is not a touring motorcycle, it will be more 'raw' than other models.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    Strange, I spend 19k for my F3 and it has no vibration issue. Are you in 6th gear on the highway? remember too, this is not a touring motorcycle, it will be more 'raw' than other models.
    This is not normal for ANY machine... At 62 it like a blender of rocks and I am FAR from the only one with this problem...... I see a Lemon law claim in my future as clearly if ours does it and others does not, there is an issue!

mark

Spyder Garage

Default Not what your looking for...

Seems the longer belt may be some of the problem. One of Our sponsors has a over and under tensioner that is doing well with this issue, or at least some of the vibration issues. Dealers will have only adjustments/tension to work with
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I appreciate your frustration and I doubt manufacturer will address this issue. The reason I have this opinion, is they did not on my 2008 GS. Max. spec. belt tension fixed mine in 2008.

There is the 68-73mph in 6th gear grinding vibration on my F3-S as well. I would estimate that 90% of it goes away, for me, when I down shift to 5th gear. You might want to give it a try. Burns a little more fuel but saves stress to me and my F3-S.

I also have my belt tension set at maximum manufacturer's acceptable limits, which doesn't seem to have a significant effect.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

I've been looking around and it seems that a belt driven cycle, well many other
    manufacturers have this issue, different speeds, gear and RPMs... But only the
    belt driven bikes.

I have been meaning to strap my GoPro on there and watch that lower belt and
    beep the horn when I feel the vibration. (Strangely it seem to be almost totally
    when in 5th gear...so just the load combination...etc).

I would guess a solution that is safe not to over-stress the bearings would be
    a slightly looser belt setting, but, using a lower tensioner to compensate and
    keep the slack proper. The upper would have a bulk of the load on it due too
    the pull from the engine itself... the lower is just along for the ride. Finding a
    tensioner (probably from a SuperCharged car with edging on both sides that
    currently uses a belt that wide) and modding it to mount on the swing-arm.. and
    isolated is key.
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

have you tried having a lazer alignment done?

Spyder Garage

Some are missing my point. I SHOULD NOT NEED TO BUY, ADD, OR MODIFY A 24000.00 bike to make it rideable at highway speeds

mark

Spyder Garage

Some are missing my point. I SHOULD NOT NEED TO BUY, ADD, OR MODIFY A 24000.00 bike to make it rideable at highway speeds

mark
    first spider, vibration sucks writing letter to spider HQ(paper trail) and yes mark you are 100% right

Spyder Garage

mark
    alk

People are just trying to Help.
    I know your frustrated. A lot of people are and rightfully so. In board talk Caps mean your screaming. Keep screaming and no one will listen just sayin!

Spyder Garage

Default Blender with rocks!

This is not normal for ANY machine... At 62 it like a blender of rocks and I am FAR from the only one with this problem...... I see a Lemon law claim in my future as clearly if ours does it and others does not, there is an issue!

mark
    Mark,
    i agree with you 100%! One of my pet peeves is when you get replies like: "this is not a touring machine" or all belt--driven machines do this, it's normal, "or," you must be lugging the engine". This machine should be as smooth as a greased eel. BRP has the incredible ability to engineer this wonderful machine with ABS, VSS, a "nanny that takes thousands of readings make split second changes in braking, power settings, etc.... they should easily be able to minify or eliminate these very noticeable vibrations... It should be a piece of cake! I've had this problem on my 2013 and 2014 RT's and now the F3, but a Smooth Spyder belt tensioner has solved 95% of the problem on the RT's , and I'm looking for a belt tensioner for the F3..., we shouldn't have to be dealing with it, but it is what it is and I'm glad I haven't let this keep me from the wonderful times that I've had on these machines!!!

Hang on for a bit and stay in touch,

Ron

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Seems the longer belt may be some of the problem. One of Our sponsors has a over and under tensioner that is doing well with this issue, or at least some of the vibration issues. Dealers will have only adjustments/tension to work with
    Does someone have a belt tensioner out for the F3? Capt. Jim says he's working on one, but not ready yet. Do you know of one that's available now?

Ron

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    Does someone have a belt tensioner out for the F3? Capt. Jim says he's working on one, but not ready yet. Do you know of one that's available now?

Ron
    Baker Built Air Wings one of your sponsors - should be able to order later this week or early next week
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Would anyone here accept a commercially made car with this kind of problem? Hell no. BRP had to of spent a ton of cash in the development of this unit. To release it like this means they are a little incompetent or just didn't care....

if if I do add a tensioner I would be willing to be that any future drivetrain issues would be denied under the warranty.....

mark

Spyder Garage

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but I am in the process of buying an F3-S. Am I making a mistake? I do not want to get a machine that will end up being a lemon. Would it be best to wait until it's been in production for a couple of years to make sure the bugs have been worked out? I don't really want to ride a blender full of rocks either...

Spyder Garage

mark
    So, what did the dealer say?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dvmdf View Post
    So, what did the dealer say?
    BRP has released no information and can't confirm IF this is a problem. I call BRP and am told to get any info I must call the dealer......

mark

Spyder Garage

Default Baker Built Belt Stabilizer

Hi all,

mark
    We have developed a new belt stabilizer that works for the F3 vibation. Visit or web site here on Spyder Lovers for the details.
    Thanks, Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There; a solution is readily available... You can stop screaming at everybody in CaPiTaL LeTtErS...

...And harmonic vibrations are a fact of life in belt-driven machines... Have your belt tension set correctly, and it'll be minimized.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There; a solution is readily available... You can stop screaming at everybody in CaPiTaL LeTtErS...

...And harmonic vibrations are a fact of life in belt-driven machines... Have your belt tension set correctly, and it'll be minimized.
    So do you own an F3? If not, I do not see how you can make an informed comment. I own an F3 and I have owned a few other belt driven rides in my life and none of them did this. You may not mind paying 24k for a poorly designed commercial vehicle but I do. I am also very aware of the intent of using CAPITOL LETTERS . I wrote want and how I did it that way because I am pissed!

if you think for a second if a tensioner is added and there is a drivetrain failure of any type in the future, BRP will not honor the repair under the warranty.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for lowering your tone...
    This is simply not an "F-3 only" issue; driveline vibrations have been present since day 1. I've even felt them during my meager 25,000 miles of saddle-time.
    I keep the belt properly tensioned, and the vibrations are minimalized.

Spyder Garage

If we can get some people to post-up what their tension setting is (possibly if they have a krickit ii) we can
    compare notes to see what/where the vibration sits with respect to tension. Who has the latest (wheel off ground)
    tension setting on the F3? The more info we have as a group, the better we would all be.

Or even a wheel on ground setting... its all relative. (On-ground will read higher)
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A pool of information would be useful...
    At what speeds do you feel the vibration...
    ...and (If you have it), what sort of belt tension readings do you get from your Krick-it?

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So do you own an F3? If not, I do not see how you can make an informed comment. I own an F3 and I have owned a few other belt driven rides in my life and none of them did this. You may not mind paying 24k for a poorly designed commercial vehicle but I do. I am also very aware of the intent of using CAPITOL LETTERS . I wrote want and how I did it that way because I am pissed!

if you think for a second if a tensioner is added and there is a drivetrain failure of any type in the future, BRP will not honor the repair under the warranty.
    You're relatively new here but if you stick around you will see that Bob comments on everything - informed or not. He frequently admits that he is no expert, but that doesn't stop him as evidenced by his post count.
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Spyder Garage

I had a 2008 spyder bought new and put 40,000 miles,had a small belt vibration.my f3 has a huge vibration.