Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think think you are right, this recall mod should reduce the heat even farther. I am thinking about mounting a fan somewhere in the engine compartment that I can turn on manually to pull heat out at low speed or in stop and go traffic. Any thoughts on this and on where to mount the fan?

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    I have done both of these mods as well. You should NOT have to re-install them. I agree that both of these mods together have mad a huge difference in the amount of heat coming up around the seat, as well as the heat on the fuel tank. Whatever ECM changes are part of this campaign should be compatible with both of these changes. They have had no effect on the ECM thus far, as you know. To the best of my knowledge, the only exhaust sensors that the ECM monitors are the oxygen probes up at the front of the headers near cylinders. Since nothing in the exhaust system is monitored aft of that point the ECM should be oblivious to both wrapped headers and the cat bypass.

I think that those of us who have already wrapped the headers and removed the cat, should have the best of both worlds after the fix is done. The Spyder should exhibit even less heat than those without the mods, PLUS, as has been stated earlier in this thread, BRP may even reimburse us something, through a dealer credit, for the previous work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R&L Limted View Post
    Did I understand BRP , that the trikes will be brought back to stock , then do the recall? does this mean cat- delete pipe wraps etc, work will be returned to stock?
    What BRP implied earlier in this thread is that these kinds of issues will be handled on a case-by-case basis in coordination with the dealer performing the recall. I'm assuming that there will be no reason that the recall cannot be satisfactorily performed on a bike with wrapped headers and a cat bypass. OTOH, if the fuel system, or possibly the intake system, has been modified there may have to be some additional considerations needed in order to perform the work, depending on what was done. I'm guessing the dealer would likely discuss this with BRP.

There is no way that BRP can make a "blanket statement" that covers these issues because every case has the potential to be different. That is obviously why Steve said to work this out with the dealer doing the recall work.

Here is what Steve said, specifically...
    i no longer have the stock air box on the bike but an aftermarket unit to improve air flow through the engine bay. Looking at the instructions, this should not have any effect on the repairs, actually saving the dealer considerable time. Will BRP allow the dealer to proceed?
    BRP generally recommends that vehicles be brought back to stock form before the update is performed, as it was tested under default conditions. Your dealer will discuss all the details with you before proceeding with the update.

There are a great many 2013s out there with these and other engine bay heat reduction aids installed. Can we be assured BRP's intent is to work with the individual cases to get the updates done anyway while working with what is already done?
    Yes, see above.
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-28-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[
    Rob,
    i think you are right. The mods the recall include do not have anything to do with the Cat bypass or heat wrapped headers. Fuel system mods may be a little different. Not everyone is going to be happy regardless and that's their right to feel that way. For me, I am going to make my wife's Can Am as comfortable and as safe as I can. I have made mods to every motorcycle I have owned taking into consideration safety and reliability with all of them.

One thing I would suggest to dealers doing scoop mods is to smooth out the rough corners/ edges on the holes they are going to cut for the air scoops to help prevent potential cowling cracking.

Jetmech

QUOTE=robmorg;983945]What BRP implied earlier in this thread is that these kinds of issues will be handled on a case-by-case basis in coordination with the dealer performing the recall. I'm assuming that there will be no reason that the recall cannot be satisfactorily performed on a bike with wrapped headers and a cat bypass. OTOH, if the fuel system, or possibly the intake system, has been modified there may have to be some additional considerations needed in order to perform the work, depending on what was done. I'm guessing the dealer would likely discuss this with BRP.

There is no way that BRP can make a "blanket statement" that covers these issues because every case has the potential to be different. That is obviously why Steve said to work this out with the dealer doing the recall work.

Here is what Steve said, specifically...
    BRP generally recommends that vehicles be brought back to stock form before the update is performed, as it was tested under default conditions. Your dealer will discuss all the details with you before proceeding with the update.

Yes, see above.
    [/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Ok is BRP
    going to refund the money I spent on the adjustable reflectors I bought?
    Yes Dave, they are going to refund the reflector cost. May not be able to ride a lot in the rain now without drowning the engine compartment but it will run cooler in the rain.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I believe that issue has been discussed.
    Unfortunately; I don't remember what the answer was!

"The memory is the second thing to go; I forgot what the first one was!"
    I will let the Miss's tell you that Bob!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Yes Dave, they are going to refund the reflector cost.
    From what Steve wrote don't plan on a cash refund. His wording made it sound like it most likely would be credit to be used for parts, service, whatever, at the dealer.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have the 14K service coming up, maybe my Dealer can combine the Service with the Recall and save me a few bucks. My heat mediation was just short of $500.00. Would be a nice trade off.

Spyder Garage

Default Heat

I will be getting the recall handled this next week and I sure hope that this works, I would like to take longer rides like I did on my 2008 GS, I feel that they have this all worked out,we will see for sure. I will post pictures also.

Spyder Garage

I would say this topic has gone down hill and I would not be surprised if Steve from BRP gave up even reading this anymore.

Sometimes I wonder what some people post is really in the best interests of us all when it comes to a thread like this where BRP is listening

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Sure am looking forward to hearing about owners views once they have the modifications done. Unfortunately I feel it will be a few weeks yet before my RT gets the updates done as I live in Australia. On the plus we are currently running into winter so although living in Queensland and winter days are usually in the low to mid 20°C the heat issues aren't such a big deal as in summer. Am just hoping that owners give this modifying from BRP a fair trial and subjective review don't just go into "bitching" mode. Here's hoping BRP proves to be a winner. Regards to all from Down Under

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I would say this topic has gone down hill and I would not be surprised if Steve from BRP gave up even reading this anymore.

Sometimes I wonder what some people post is really in the best interests of us all when it comes to a thread like this where BRP is listening

Bob
    You make a good point Bob , but I wouldn't worry too much. I think by now Steve is probably familiar with all our "indiscretions".
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Default Couple more pics

Hey all,

I was able to sneak a couple more pics of the panel portion of the update to give you a better idea of the look:

Attached Images Attached Images
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

To all BRP guys and girls who works on this recall ---> GOOD JOB.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They actually look pretty darn good on the yellow RT!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Thanks Steve!

I actually like them and I want them for my 2011!

Will people be able to purchase them later? I assume they have to be made a spare part at some point?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default nice

I really like the way they look. I have my appointment set for june 19th to get the recall done. Thanks brp...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the additional pictures, Steve. I like the way those scoops look as well. I'm glad you guys made them in gloss black. Better than the "plastic chrome" look, and I think they somewhat enhance the look of the RT. They should certainty enhance the ventilation to the engine compartment.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's wrong with "plastic chrome"?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

They'll certainly look good on my yeller "13" RT-S.

Chris

Spyder Garage

I hope it looks that good on white.

Traded in - 2013 RT SE5 Limited - Pearl White
    Mods Mods
    Tri Axis handlebars
    GPS mount for the Tri Axis handlebars
    Ultimate seat with driver backrest
    Driver cup holder
    3rd Brake light -truck
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    Bayaron swaybar with Heim links
    Lidlox

Spyder Garage

I'm with finless. I like the scoops. I'd like to try them on my 2014 rts. Still like to push more air at the engine. Those of you that have the adjustable air wings I would try to keep them many of us 14 drivers would like to have them at a reduced price.
    They put them on my 13rts durning the first heat reduction test, but kept them when I trade for the 14rts.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That will look really good on my yellow RTS.

Bill C.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope that BRP is listening... The scoops are getting some decent reviews, and interest from RT owners that don't even have to have them!
    (Put them in your accessories catalog!!)

Spyder Garage

I hope that BRP is listening... The scoops are getting some decent reviews, and interest from RT owners that don't even have to have them!
    (Put them in your accessories catalog!!)
    I think the problem will be the jig and tool to cut the panel!

But some of us good with a Dremel can probably handle it with the paper template

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black