Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I owned a 13' as well, and I did not experience the hot right

foot as much as some others I guess.

My chief complaint was the fumes and dripping gas in the garage after a ride, in addition the visible gas boiling when filling the tank.

My guess is the recall is primarily focused on the resolution of those issues and in addition the dissipation of heat near the seating area etc.

Just a guess, but I do not think the recall is focused on the hot right foot, and in fact I will be surprised if the recall does much for that issue...

I am optimistic that the addition of the scoops and fuel remapping etc, will take care of the safety intentions regarding this, but less optimistic that it will alleviate the hot foot. I am sure the testing provided a result on the hot right foot, but I don't think anyone will share the results, we will have to wait and watch the feedback here.

In summary, this is a safety recall, not a rider comfort recall....

Time will tell, but something tells me they will opine on the hot right foot with the " Ride with proper attire" answer.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

How will the adjustable side wind deflectors be disposed of?
    I'm hoping that a lot of them show up on the used market.
    Please let me know if a pair become available. Plain. Not chrome.
    Thanks!
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

All of the RT's have the hot right foot issue! Well known as the dragon's mouth.

Even before the 2013, many complained of that issue and some did things to help it, e.g. block off plates, etc.
    Search back in time and you will see this is not a new issue.

Once the 2013 temps are down due to the fixes, the amount of time the fan goes on to blow heat off the radiator will probably now be the same as all other RTs! Thus I doubt BRP ever planned to fix that issue since all have it and they consider that normal for a motorcycle.

The good news I think, is now the heat on the right foot will be on par with all other RTs rather than hotter as it has been.

FYI, the 2010-2012's also have the canister stink issue. I have had it a few times now on hot days. I wish the new canister system would roll out to pre-2013 models to fix that as well. The hot foot I can live with as I have added a block off plate so I can use my NVB pegs. Without that plate it will melt your shoes when using the NVB pegs.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I agree with Finless. I hope they come out with something for the pre-13's. I have tried a few different things on our 2 2011 RT's and they both have the gas smell when parked (and sometimes while riding) and both drip gas when we park right after riding. Not just a little bit either. I used a bottle to catch the drips in it is not an insignificant amount.

Our cat's will have to go to reduce the heat transfer to the gas tank and at the very least I want to do the new evap system to see if that helps, assuming we will be able to buy the parts after the recall is substantially done...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    All of the RT's have the hot right foot issue! Well known as the dragon's mouth.

Even before the 2013, many complained of that issue and some did things to help it, e.g. block off plates, etc.
    Search back in time and you will see this is not a new issue.

Once the 2013 temps are down due to the fixes, the amount of time the fan goes on to blow heat off the radiator will probably now be the same as all other RTs! Thus I doubt BRP ever planned to fix that issue since all have it and they consider that normal for a motorcycle.

The good news I think, is now the heat on the right foot will be on par with all other RTs rather than hotter as it has been.

FYI, the 2010-2012's also have the canister stink issue. I have had it a few times now on hot days. I wish the new canister system would roll out to pre-2013 models to fix that as well. The hot foot I can live with as I have added a block off plate so I can use my NVB pegs. Without that plate it will melt your shoes when using the NVB pegs.

Bob

I agree Bob. Although all the 2010-2012's all had the heat issue, it wasn't until 2013 when BRP came out with the floorboard on the RT-S and Ltd. Consequently, a rider's foot position changed. Prior to "13" the foot rested on a peg which was above the bottom right torch hole. However, with the "13" and floorboards the foot position was directly behind this torch hole. I'm simply saying that although the heat may have been the same, it was more noticeable with the "13".

​Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All of the RT's have the hot right foot issue!
    Bob
    NOPE! My 2010 never gave me a single instance of heat -related stinks or burns...

...And I'm certainly not lucky enough, to get the only one without problems!

For the record: I DID try to get it to cook me. On a day with the temperatures just under a hundred degrees, I took off in just a helmet and a pair of shorts... (I had to test it!)
    It got warm in some stop and go traffic; not hot.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

when i had my 13 rt i would go for a ride and actually pull over and get off the bike to let it cool down. i would sweat and burn so much that people would pull over thinking i was selling fresh ham i was sweating so much
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    if i understand the bulletin right??? they are going to remove some plastic components behind the motor so heat can escape, right. now if this is part of the fix, than riding along the heat will be pushed out. but what about slow speeds and stop and go traffic with a second rider on the bike. will the heat rise up and bother the passenger as they sit on the back seat and their feet on the rear pegs.

please let me know i i understood this right and if you think the heat will bother the passenger. thanks
    That is one of the concerns expressed in the discussions here, what about slow speed heat release.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

rayeade

I wish all of you the best in getting this problem fixed. I decided to get rid of my 2013 RT Limited and that fixed my heat problem. If I see you on the road I will wave at you. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

I have been sitting out since I do not have a 2013 involved in the recall.

RE: All RT's give a hot foot. None of the three I have owned have heat issues for either rider or passenger. 2010 RTS, 2011 A&C, and 2014 RT-S.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    NOPE! My 2010 never gave me a single instance of heat -related stinks or burns...

...And I'm certainly not lucky enough, to get the only one without problems!

For the record: I DID try to get it to cook me. On a day with the temperatures just under a hundred degrees, I took off in just a helmet and a pair of shorts... (I had to test it!)
    It got warm in some stop and go traffic; not hot.
    Same with my 2010 RTS. No heat issue or gas smell.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I have been sitting out since I do not have a 2013 involved in the recall.

RE: All RT's give a hot foot. None of the three I have owned have heat issues for either rider or passenger. 2010 RTS, 2011 A&C, and 2014 RT-S.
    I will just add the "hot right foot" issue even before 2013's is a perception based on the rider! Again I will tell you to please look back in history here!
    Jerbear has a 2010 and could not stand the right hot foot issue! Other had no issue with it. I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH IT! Everyone is going to be different as to how much that heat from the "dragons mouth" bothers them!

You cannot expect a radiator to release heat out that right side hole without "someone" finding discomfort with that. BUT the discomfort is user dependent! Some had or have no issue, some find it a problem.

Bottom line is BRP is NOT going to solve that! It's an expectation that anyone with a Spyder needs to know. I mean come on... the radiator is right there! How can you expect not to feel some heat from it? Unfortunately some expect never to feel anything.... Alas you are sitting on a engine and it is a motorcycle!

Anyway I think my point got lost in translation.... 2013 or otherwise there is going to be heat coming out the right side air vent PERIOD....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Did anyone else notice this? Seems to be a pretty blanket statement by BRP. Might give them a way out. Might apply to a CAT delete, Canisterectomy, belt tensioner, and who knows what else.

I no longer have the stock air box on the bike but an aftermarket unit to improve air flow through the engine bay. Looking at the instructions, this should not have any effect on the repairs, actually saving the dealer considerable time. Will BRP allow the dealer to proceed?

BRP generally recommends that vehicles be brought back to stock form before the update is performed, as it was tested under default conditions. Your dealer will discuss all the details with you before proceeding with the update.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hot Right Foot

Bob is correct, I have owned many motorcycles and at slow speed or stop and go traffic the ones I have owned got pretty darn warm under the seat. I had a 2003 Harley that burned my inner thigh pretty bad while I was in traffic at Sturgis. My 2011 Honda ST1300 would cook you above 80 degrees even going down the highway, and in town was also pretty bad. Harley finally put on heat deflectors and turned off fuel to the rear cylinder on newer touring bikes when at stop lights to reduce the heat issue. If you ride in shorts and flip flops your going to get to toastie on most motorcycles. I have done many mods to my wife's 2013 RTs; mostly from suggestions I have seen on this forum. I rode her Spyder 100 miles when it was 90 degrees and no heat issues under the seat or my thighs after doing all these mods. I think the mods that BRP came up with definitely help even more. As far as slow speed or stop and go traffic it may not help that much. I believe a fan to pull air out of the engine compartment in very slow traffic would help much more. This fan could be manually operated with a switch. Also a different routing of the front header would surely be of benefit. If someone could come up with those mods it would be marketable. Not sure it is possible to re-route the front header but it could be looked at. Every motorcycle I have owned in the last 15 years have some issue, so the Can Am is no different. That being said; I enjoy this forum and there are many interesting comments on it.

regards,
    Jetmech

I will just add the "hot right foot" issue even before 2013's is a perception based on the rider! Again I will tell you to please look back in history here!
    Jerbear has a 2010 and could not stand the right hot foot issue! Other had no issue with it. I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH IT! Everyone is going to be different as to how much that heat from the "dragons mouth" bothers them!

You cannot expect a radiator to release heat out that right side hole without "someone" finding discomfort with that. BUT the discomfort is user dependent! Some had or have no issue, some find it a problem.

Bottom line is BRP is NOT going to solve that! It's an expectation that anyone with a Spyder needs to know. I mean come on... the radiator is right there! How can you expect not to feel some heat from it? Unfortunately some expect never to feel anything.... Alas you are sitting on a engine and it is a motorcycle!

Anyway I think my point got lost in translation.... 2013 or otherwise there is going to be heat coming out the right side air vent PERIOD....

Bob

Spyder Garage

Bob
    bob you are right, my 13 roasted my feet, but the new owner doesn't seem to mind the heat much. my feet are bad from being a diabetic. they hurt me just sitting down, and if i go for a long ride they hurt from any vibrations i get through the floor boards.
    now my 14 rt is night and day compared to the 13 rt. i removed the cat on the 14 and even wrapped the bypass pipe. but believe it or not i still feel heat on my feet, but nothing like the 13 did to me. so everyone is different and i am sure there will still be people that are not happy, either with the looks of the scoop, or the mileage after the re map, or the hot foot. i feel i did the right thing for me selling the bike and i am very glad the new owner loves the bike
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech View Post
    I believe a fan to pull air out of the engine compartment in very slow traffic would help much more. This fan could be manually operated with a switch.

regards,
    Jetmech

I have installed 2 small fans on the rhs of my '08 Gs inside the panels. They blow the hot air down & out of the bottom of the bike & are controlled with a manual switch & a red LED to remind me they are on.

I also fitted 2 scoops on the upper panel that covers where the gas tank would be on a motorcycle, forward & one on each side. They are clamshell marine ventilation scoops.

It all works nicely & keeps the hot air from the dragon's mouth off my right leg. (also have Spyderpops fix in that area as well).

I turn the fans on in slow hot traffic & when stopped at red lights on hot days.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hapyisme View Post
    Maccuso SUCKS, I have had nothing but problems after problems with that company!!! Good luck

I have had problems in the past as well. SW location is the worst for Spyders. Mancuso owns all the BRP dealerships in Houston. There is also one in Katy and one in Conroe that do not get any better reviews. For this work, and if it goes well my first service on the F3 are going to Mancuso North were several others have had some recent good visits with Spyders. There really are no good options here unless you travel some distance out of town.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

To me it looks like BRP is trying to get this problem resolved. My only concern now is the low speed riding. With that being said I am sure with all of the ingenious Spyder Lovers Vendors we have they can come up with something to fix almost any problem.
    I have noticed that some people here not only have one, but multiple Spyders, a Slingshot, multiple
    other bikes and a jet or two in the lower 40. Even though I envy them that is not my situation My other concern is the trade in value of the 13 will it increase or decrease after all of these mods?

Spyder Garage

I called CFPS YESTERDAY, they do not have the parts yet. They said to call next week to check. Not sure if anyone else has the parts in the area. [emoji91]
    Joining the Spyder Movement and having fun with our 2013 RT Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I called My dealer yesterday about getting the parts for the recall and they said once they get the special tool needed, they will call me about ordering parts. This is the part that ticked me off, they have to have my spyder in their shop before they will order the parts for the recall. They say they have order parts for recalls before and they customers didn't come in to have them put on and they had to ship them back. So their policy now is that the bike has to be in shop before they will order parts for a recall.

Bill C.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will just add the "hot right foot" issue even before 2013's is a perception based on the rider! It's an expectation that anyone with a Spyder needs to know. I mean come on... the radiator is right there! How can you expect not to feel some heat from it? Unfortunately some expect never to feel anything.... Alas you are sitting on a engine and it is a motorcycle!
    Bob
    This is a VERY accurate statement.
    It's a Motorcycle; not a Car!

But for the record...
    At speed; I stuck my hand down into the airflow from the outlet... It was being pushed outside and above the positioning of my foot on the peg... There was NO direct flow of heated air hitting my foot.
    Are folks adding highway pegs, that do put their foot up in the heated air?

Spyder Garage

I'm with you commando. we sold our 4 wheelers and camper to get out of the payment to buy the spyder. Now with the heat issues I have been offered very little trade in from dealer. We just want a machine we are proud to show off. It won't be one with the new snorkels on it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcoulter19 View Post
    I called My dealer yesterday about getting the parts for the recall and they said once they get the special tool needed, they will call me about ordering parts. This is the part that ticked me off, they have to have my spyder in their shop before they will order the parts for the recall. They say they have order parts for recalls before and they customers didn't come in to have them put on and they had to ship them back. So their policy now is that the bike has to be in shop before they will order parts for a recall.

Bill C.

Get with BRP customer care. They can help. If for some reason they will not, report the dealer to the NHTSA for refusal to perform the recall. They get one call from the DOT lawyers, your dealer will sing a different tune. Been there and done that. NHTSA is more helpful than you might imagine and the dealers will not argue with them.

The do NOT need to hold your bike hostage while awaiting the parts. All they need is your vin number and name.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Several people local to me have called their dealer and the dealer looked it up and ordered the parts and the tool needed. They did not have to bring their Spyder in. If a dealer is telling you otherwise argue with them as the letter that was posted here does not say that.
    In fact you should print it and show them it if they won't budge. We also had a few locals call different dealers and get that answer "We have not got the parts yet". I have told them, per the letter, if the dealer is waiting for parts to automatically show up, you will be waiting a long time! They called their dealer back and told them this and the dealer then did the right thing and ordered the kits and tool.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's an effective way to handle the Dealer's "Two-Step Shuffle"...