Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

here's an idea, if the scoops they are installing are black, and you don't like them, than b4 they are installed let the dealer give you the scoops and have them painted the cor bike, just a thought
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    here's an idea, if the scoops they are installing are black, and you don't like them, than b4 they are installed let the dealer give you the scoops and have them painted the cor bike, just a thought
    Why should anything be on my dollor. We bought a 2013 instead of getting a discount on the 2012 because BRP posted review after review about the revamped 2013, how much better a ride it is . They forgot to mention oh by the way our engines are not ready so we are going throw this in. We love to ride on the spyder just not the dishonesty. We will have something different to ride after the fix, I'm just trying to figure out what that will be. Would like it to be a 2014 or newer design. It's been an exhausting ordeal that I didn't buy into. And I'm not the only one as many took a big lose to trade up. I'm just glad the NHTSA stepped in so there won't hopefully be the fire of fear in the back of my mind. I'm now done venting the people who matter don't care.
    Last edited by WellsboroSpyder; 05-27-2015 at 05:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

Steve,

First of all, Thank You for keeping everyone updated on this problem. Being an optimist I am looking forward to this being the fix.
    With that being said, I still have a few questions.

1. it was mentioned that the Spyder would be, (if I read it right) a little louder? is that true? Personally I would think that would be a good thing. Although there is no substitute for safety a little louder would not hurt. Right now it seems like we are riding a Prius I think a little noise would be good.

2. will this fix the heat problem for low speed riding. I plan on showing off my Spyder at a few parades and do not want be embarrassed by breaking down in front of the reviewing stand It would not be the first time but hopefully not with my

Thanks Again

Spyder Garage

Default trade in

Steve, Is there any compensation for us to trade our 2013 in on a new 2015 due to the excessive heat issues (mainly the right foot)? Please respond as we are in the negotiations as we speak. thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daviszoo1 View Post
    Steve, Is there any compensation for us to trade our 2013 in on a new 2015 due to the excessive heat issues (mainly the right foot)? Please respond as we are in the negotiations as we speak. thank you
    This is what we are wanting to know also

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    There is something else that is on our mind. The new fuel milage. Are we going to have to carry a spare gas can when we travel sparsely populated areas like the everglades or out West.

Why would you think the fuel mileage would get worse? If they can stop the fuel vaporizing all that gas will go to the engine instead of the air. Could significantly IMPROVE fuel economy in the hot months.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Scoop are black because it replace a black part....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    This appears to be where the adjustable air vents are mounted! Is BRP going to refund the money I paid for them? It a pears that I can no longer use them.
    I am glad they came up with a solution, so I was wondering what I will do with these vents I invested in?
    Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Me too!
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

Steve,
    Will those Spyders that were part of the test last fall need any of the changes reversed before these modifications are made?

----UPDATE----

Received a reply from BRP stating that the Spyders modified last fall do not need any of the changes reversed. My concern was mainly on the holes drilled in the panel under the seat.
    Last edited by Gray Ghost; 05-27-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Why would you think the fuel mileage would get worse? If they can stop the fuel vaporizing all that gas will go to the engine instead of the air. Could significantly IMPROVE fuel economy in the hot months.
    I'm only a plumber not a mechanic but I believe to cool a hot running engine some times the fuel mixture is richened Thus using more fuel in the combustion process. Just a thought.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not for nothing... But you haven't actually had the recall work done on your bike yet; have you?
    So why are you yelling that, "The Sky Is Falling!"?
    Give it a chance... then, you can complain!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default yes

Well said bob. Lets give it a chance.............

Spyder Garage

I agree on the give it a chance theme, but the engineer in me is screaming that things will not all magically be better. Sure hope to be proven wrong. Either way, it looks like a move in the right direction and will assuredly help, not hurt, so the next step is getting the work done.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm about as far from being an engineer as I can be; and still be breathing!
    I haven't absorbed all of what will be done just yet; but my (VERY) initial run-through of the bulletin gives me at least SOME confidence in it!
    (I'm still not 100% sure about the low-speed operation yet...)
    Time will tell...

Spyder Garage

some people said the reversing fan was in the fix, others said no. i quickly read the service bulletin and i didn't see anything about it. did anyone see it, because w/o it i feel you will still have bad heat on the right foot after the fix and in slow traffic. i sat this because of all the work i did on my 13 and i still felt it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Not for nothing... But you haven't actually had the recall work done on your bike yet; have you?
    So why are you yelling that, "The Sky Is Falling!"?
    Give it a chance... then, you can complain!
    Bob , our concern is once the panels are hacked there is no return. Also we wanted a quiet Trike, and we feel that they need to deal with riders wind management for cooling in southeren states. Not only do we loose our vents but the air scoops will block air movement . ( Not a good thing in TN.

Spyder Garage

Thanks!!
    Okay gang; who has anything to report?

(Oh! I am also VERY happy that I was completely wrong on the date of this announcement!)
    ...and I'm very happy that you did not accept my bet. Because I'd have been wronger.
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R&L Limted View Post
    Bob , our concern is once the panels are hacked there is no return. Also we wanted a quiet Trike, and we feel that they need to deal with riders wind management for cooling in southeren states. Not only do we loose our vents but the air scoops will block air movement . ( Not a good thing in TN.
    Have you ever tried out one of these?

And by the way; they mounted the radiators for the liquid-cooled heads right up in front of the rider's feet in the fairing lowers...
    Face it: you actually don't yet know what is going to happen. Does it cost you anything, to go into this part of the exercise with a positive attitude about it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    some people said the reversing fan was in the fix, others said no. i quickly read the service bulletin and i didn't see anything about it. did anyone see it, because w/o it i feel you will still have bad heat on the right foot after the fix and in slow traffic. i sat this because of all the work i did on my 13 and i still felt it
    It's not there. No reversing fan that I see in the documentation.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

My simple opinion . . . the scoops being installed appear to be chrome and black . . . they sit directly below the mirror, which is chrome and black on the RT LTD, and chrome and color matched on the RT-S . . . and they they replace a black grill . . . so I don't see the angst over the color. If you have no chrome, 15 minutes and a can of black Plasti-Dip will resolve the chrome issue, quickly and easily. I suspect if you ask your dealer, nicely, many will paint the chrome for you . . . bring a can of black Plasti-Dip with you . . . make it easy for them!

To have made these in multiple colors, I have little doubt it would have delayed the roll out. It would have also ensured mix ups at dealers . . . imagine your anger if you had your appointment set, arrived at the dealer's, and discovered the wrong color scoop had been sent by BRP. Black and Chrome ensured a quicker rollout of the pieces and that every set of parts shipped will be the right set for every Spyder.

For those of you who are overcome with righteous indignation, go for a ryde and chill . . . or sell your Spyder. Why keep something that fills you with anger, indignation, and bile, every day?

Have I mentioned that, even with its flaws, I really love my Spyder?

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Have you ever tried out one of these?

And by the way; they mounted the radiators for the liquid-cooled heads right up in front of the rider's feet in the fairing lowers...
    Face it: you actually don't yet know what is going to happen. Does it cost you anything, to go into this part of the exercise with a positive attitude about it?
    May be my next one. This H-D is the Tri-Glide. I like the new Freewheeler (next picture), less expensive by 10,000$ but still an H-D.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT FIX

It's my understanding that someone posted last month that they had talked to someone at NHTSA about the fix and the response was: "it is comprehensive and effective." So everyone please give it a chance. It serves no purpose to do MMQB until the fix has been done. Remember, the fix for the '13 STs were the new panels and the ECM update. From the responses after the fix, the vast majority of ST owners were satisfied, me included.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

It was mentioned that the Spyder would be, (if I read it right) a little louder? is that true? Personally I would think that would be a good thing. Although there is no substitute for safety a little louder would not hurt. Right now it seems like we are riding a Prius I think a little noise would be good.
    The noise level will not change significantly - it's entirely possible that a slight change might be perceived but still well within norms.

It appears an entire new evap system is being installed. That's fine, but my old one that was spewing fumes at ME and dripping fuel on the ground is GONE. Bracket is still there. The dealer should have no trouble installing this right?
    Your dealer should still be able to install the update.

I no longer have the stock air box on the bike but an aftermarket unit to improve air flow through the engine bay. Looking at the instructions, this should not have any effect on the repairs, actually saving the dealer considerable time. Will BRP allow the dealer to proceed?
    BRP generally recommends that vehicles be brought back to stock form before the update is performed, as it was tested under default conditions. Your dealer will discuss all the details with you before proceeding with the update.

There are a great many 2013s out there with these and other engine bay heat reduction aids installed. Can we be assured BRP's intent is to work with the individual cases to get the updates done anyway while working with what is already done?
    Yes, see above.

There is something else that is on our mind. The new fuel milage.
    No fuel consumption increase is to be expected.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 05-27-2015 at 08:58 AM.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

I cannot tell from the pics posted if the trim on the new scoops is gloss black or chrome. Perhaps BRPCARES could clarify.

Chrome would make more sense on the 2013 with its chrome trim.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Yes Bob we have before we bought Spyder, SORRY if I came across negative was not my intent , just voiceing some concerns.