Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    Examples:

Wrapping pipes
    cat-bypass
    heat coating
    virtika scoops
    additional heat shielding

Does this include labor?
    when i did the vents on my bike it was 1800 in parts and 550 in painting, this is the second time i am posting this because i can't find the first one i poster. heck it would be nice to get the 1800 back and i will eat the paint and labor
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A lot of logistics involved, and it seems that the public will have its part in educating some of the dealers to make the project run smooth.
    It's important to note that the recall fix was announced today; both to the dealer network as well to owners here on SpyderLovers and other social media. Information travels fast on the web and with dealers being informed at the same time as you were, it's possible that some of them are still being notified and sifting through all the information that they have to go through. We have a great dealer network - if your dealer doesn't have all the details yet, consider giving them a bit of time to get everything sorted out properly.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 05-26-2015 at 03:48 PM.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    when i did the vents on my bike it was 1800 in parts and 550 in painting, this is the second time i am posting this because i can't find the first one i poster. heck it would be nice to get the 1800 back and i will eat the paint and labor
    I agree it would be nice to get the money back. However, I can't see that happening. I hope to sell my Vertika Vents to someone with an older RTS to recoup some of that money.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

Honestly this should solve the issues, at least I hope in reading a Yahoo News post the investigation has been closed, so I am sure NTHSA would not close this unless they felt the solution resolved all the outstanding and reported issues.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Greg, at Seminole Power Sports, in Sanford, Flarda, called and said he was calling to beat me to the punch. He has already scheduled a work order for me, said the parts are in Georgia and that we should be "good to go" next week.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech View Post
    Thanks Steve, I spoke to my dealer service department today. They said they would order the parts for the fix. Can you please share data on how much temperature decrease BRP realized with these fixes, at low a d high speed and at what ambient temperatures the fixes were tested at please?
    Does it make a difference in your decision to have the updates performed? Are you doubting their ability to fix the problem?
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

First, this is not a complaint. Just want to understand how things are to be handled.

1. It appears an entire new evap system is being installed. That's fine, but my old one that was spewing fumes at ME and dripping fuel on the ground is GONE. Bracket is still there. The dealer should have no trouble installing this right?

2. I also see the new evap system includes a new after filter in the vent line. Fine but it attaches to the bottom panel which is no longer installed on mine and many other 2013s to get rid of engine bay heat. How is this to be handled? It does appear the filter could be strapped to the radiator hose and be just as effective.

3. I no longer have the stock air box on the bike but an aftermarket unit to improve air flow through the engine bay. Looking at the instructions, this should not have any effect on the repairs, actually saving the dealer considerable time. Will BRP allow the dealer to proceed?

4. It appears the revision to the fuel system and the updated software converts this to a PCM controlled fuel pressure, eliminating the pressure regulator and the associated return of hot fuel to the tank. Is this intended to reduce fuel temperature in the tank?

There are a great many 2013s out there with these and other engine bay heat reduction aids installed. Can we be assured BRP's intent is to work with the individual cases to get the updates done anyway while working with what is already done?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

You know I just read on Yahoo Finance that NHTSA has closed the investigation on the 2013 RT. So I figure if they are confident in the fix, then I should be confident in the fix. I don't think NHTSA would close the investigation if they didn't feel this was going to do the trick. Just IMHO... I am sure they have been watching since the start.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default evap system

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    First, this is not a complaint. Just want to understand how things are to be handled.

1. It appears an entire new evap system is being installed. That's fine, but my old one that was spewing fumes at ME and dripping fuel on the ground is GONE. Bracket is still there. The dealer should have no trouble installing this right?

2. I also see the new evap system includes a new after filter in the vent line. Fine but it attaches to the bottom panel which is no longer installed on mine and many other 2013s to get rid of engine bay heat. How is this to be handled? It does appear the filter could be strapped to the radiator hose and be just as effective.

3. I no longer have the stock air box on the bike but an aftermarket unit to improve air flow through the engine bay. Looking at the instructions, this should not have any effect on the repairs, actually saving the dealer considerable time. Will BRP allow the dealer to proceed?

4. It appears the revision to the fuel system and the updated software converts this to a PCM controlled fuel pressure, eliminating the pressure regulator and the associated return of hot fuel to the tank. Is this intended to reduce fuel temperature in the tank?

There are a great many 2013s out there with these and other engine bay heat reduction aids installed. Can we be assured BRP's intent is to work with the individual cases to get the updates done anyway while working with what is already done?
    --- VERY interesting information, thanks for this. I'll be watching this thread and wondering whether this evap system can assist my 13 ST - I suspect it may be VERY useful across the range. Look forward to more updates once the system has been seen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arsquatch View Post
    You know I just read on Yahoo Finance that NHTSA has closed the investigation on the 2013 RT. So I figure if they are confident in the fix, then I should be confident in the fix. I don't think NHTSA would close the investigation if they didn't feel this was going to do the trick. Just IMHO... I am sure they have been watching since the start.
    The closed investigation on Yahoo pertains to the gas cap exchange on 2012's and before.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you Robmorg for the PDF file, #1 we bought a RT Limited because we wanted a quite crusier (removing acoustic panels = engin noise) #2 we bought adj. wind vents (chrome) for looks and live in TN.=a must for comfort.When they decided on this fix they did not take into account the loss of airflow to driver & passenger! #3 we wanted a dressed model not a sport trike with non painted air rams. #4 How is this going to change anything at slow speeds or stop and go, which the letter said to avoid until repaired. #5 plastic panels are molded for strength and now were going to cut a hole in it leaveing a raw edge, possible chips in clear coat which will lead to failure down the road. Just our thoughts & would like you ( BRP ) Steve to answer to these concerns.We love this trike and are very concerned that at the very least it will be marked as ( that model) or worse this does not fix and we have a chopped up Trike

Spyder Garage

Default Perhaps you are sure

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I am sure BRP published something on BOSSweb for all dealers to see.

Maybe BRP is willing to post this Tech Bulletin?

Bob
    but if I were you, I would not bet the house on it.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default Steve, I Would like to know

It would've been nice if BRP at least made the panel a one piece replacement with the scoop built in for a more finished look and painted to match. For the price we all paid this surely isn't asking too much. What happens if the dealer does a poor job of install and an new panel has to ordered? Who will pick-up the cost for the new panel? How many attempts does the dealer get? In the end we all must risk the panel being cut and the tech getting it right the first time. Do we get an option to have it done over if we are not happy with the workmanship? After all its not being done by a body shop that has years of expertise installing these types of add-on's. I hope Steve can shed some light on these concerns.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Steve

Thanks Steve. I showed my wife (who is a Girls on Spyders) what our blue rt will look like. She is now into tears and voicing her thoughts loudly. She says she nor I wanted something with the F3 top bug eyes. We chose the rt for the look and sound. How much louder is this going to be. we want to know what BRPCARE is offering for trade on these after the work is done. We just installed a trailer hitch and are now willing to give it all up and start new. Very dissapointed on something that could of been avoided had you stuck with the original plan of different engine on these units.

Spyder Garage

There is something else that is on our mind. The new fuel milage. Are we going to have to carry a spare gas can when we travel sparsely populated areas like the everglades or out West.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not even fixed yet and...complaints. Can't you just get the fix and see what it's like? You might have a great bike soon.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

When I spoke with my contact at BRP this morning, he raised the issue of the 2013 frame being designed for the 1330 engine, to which I immediately said "which we would all like to have", and you could hear the crickets in the background. Obviously, no serious thought whatsoever was given to an engine swap out. When you think about it, that would be pretty much a buy back program, which would not make financial sense for BRP. I too am not thrilled about cutting panels and installing scoops that do not match the color of any individual bike, but at the same time I understand that BRP wanted to roll this out as quickly as possible. I have a source for Spyder colors, and I will be painting the scoops Pearl White to match my RT. Looks like the "fix" will do what we all want it to do, and we can all ride and not worry about riding a bomb. Thanks to BRP for getting this set up
    to get parts to the dealers so quickly. I think that there are about 5,000 RT's out there, and the fact that parts and tools are ready to ship now seems to me that BRP is serious about dealing with the issues. Time will tell.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Not even fixed yet and...complaints. Can't you just get the fix and see what it's like? You might have a great bike soon.
    We enjoyed the looks of our machine . The side view of the fix is horrible. A great TRIKE is something you buy for appearance as well as reliability. Look at how many Harley drivers there are, it's not because of the reliability of the machine

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    We enjoyed the looks of our machine . The side view of the fix is horrible. A great TRIKE is something you buy for appearance as well as reliability. Look at how many Harley drivers there are, it's not because of the reliability of the machine
    Must be the looks, I can't tell what model they are they all look similar. Seriously a lot of people didn't like the looks of the F3 from pictures but guess what? A lot of those same people bought them when they saw them in person. I think if you don't like the look, don't get the fix.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Must be the looks, I can't tell what model they are they all look similar. Seriously a lot of people didn't like the looks of the F3 from pictures but guess what? A lot of those same people bought them when they saw them in person. I think if you don't like the look, don't get the fix.
    Some of my customers are lawyers so I know I have to get fix or give up all my rights toward this issue. So I wonder if u will mod your 2012 with this fix

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    So I wonder if u will mod your 2012 with this fix
    If I can get the scoops I would do this to my 2011 RTS!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default have to admit, the chrome...

is good looking. Better if you already have chrome on your spyder. The Spyder I have has no chrome. 2014 metallic black RT-S with F4 windscreen engraved. The chrome you have on your limited is satin on mine. I am planning on plasti-coating them depending on which wrap I get.

On my HD Road King, I have enough chrome to look good and not enough to blind the looker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Default I have a sales receipt for upgrading...

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi daviszoo1,

Yes. Please keep all receipts related to any work performed on your Spyder RT done with the intent of addressing high levels of heat in the engine compartment. When you visit your dealer to have the recall work performed, your dealer will notify us and be made aware of the procedure to follow, if any, to have this addressed. Note that only modifications performed with the specific intent of addressing high levels of heat in the engine compartment will be considered for compensation.
    I traded in my wife's 2013 ST-S with this exact heat problem/issue 30 days after purchase on a 2014 RT-S. EXACT same symptoms, exact same effects on the rider. TOO MUCH HEAT. The 2013 ST has the same heat issues as the 2013 RT. I lost about $4000 U.S. on the trade-in.

Now, having said that... , wife is cooler, and not in danger of burns. BRP needs to take things like "I replaced my Spyder because of the heat issues" into account.

No, I am not asking to be re-imbursed the $4000 that I lost. It falls into buyer beware and lessons learned. However, BRP needs to be proactive and address the ST's also.

-Steve.
    (not the BRP Steve!)
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The closed investigation on Yahoo pertains to the gas cap exchange on 2012's and before.

Accodring to the ODI website the investigation that was closed on May 22nd was opened Aug 2014 and referenced the two fires.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...od_ids=1888013
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=arsquatch;983001]Accodring to the ODI website the investigation that was closed on May 22nd was opened Aug 2014 and referenced the two fires.

Here is the article in full. Hope this will avoid some confusion for all. Both recalls are mentioned in the article.

QUOTE:
    DETROIT (AP) — U.S. safety regulators have closed an investigation of fires in Can-Am Spyder three-wheeled motorcycles after the manufacturer agreed to a recall.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. of Canada agreed to recall nearly 5,200 Spyder RT motorcycles from the 2013 model year. It also agreed to re-notify owners of motorcycles from 2008 through 2012 that were recalled in 2012 for problems that could cause fires.

Agency documents posted on the NHTSA website Tuesday say the recall fix was being developed and is expected sometime this month. It was unclear if the recall has started yet. Messages were left Tuesday seeking comment from Bombardier.
    Investigators found 103 complaints and two fires during the investigation of more than 52,000 motorcycles. The agency says Bombardier agreed to address rider burns, fuel boiling due to inadequate heat management and excessive fuel vapor emissions.

The investigation began in August of 2014 after NHTSA received two reports of motorcycle fires. One Spyder was destroyed in July while being used by the Morgantown, West Virginia, Police Department. Another burned in the Mojave Desert region of California.
    The 2012 recalls were to fix a fuel cap that may not fit onto the fuel filler neck of 33,700 motorcycles from 2008-2012, and for fuel vapors that could exit a vapor canister hose in the engine compartment in 9,600 motorcycles from 2008 through 2010.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red