Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Sooo... has anyone thought ahead to cooler riding weather and hoped that BRP would have put in an adjustable partial block off on the front of the new scoops and an adjustable directional vent on the back of the new scoops so the ryder can direct warm air back to stay warm?!?

You know me... always thinking ahead (and oddly)
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Replacing the canister on your 2011 with the new one will not solve the problem. The root of the problem is the excess vapors overloading the canister in the first place. That is what the fuel system revisions are for. The current changes to the fuel system will not work on a 2011.
    I do NOT believe that is true.... The fuel system changes I am pretty sure have nothing to do with the Evap changes!

The Evap changes are pretty significant and should apply to all Spyders. So this time I disagree with you.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Another is that additional maintenance items are now added to your schedule. The rear sprocket bearing now must be REPLACED each 28k miles along with the evap canister prefilter. Effectively moving the emissions component from warranty replacement to owner paid maintenance.
    Rear sprocket bearing ? I don't think I understand how that fits in here.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Sooo... has anyone thought ahead to cooler riding weather and hoped that BRP would have put in an adjustable partial block off on the front of the new scoops and an adjustable directional vent on the back of the new scoops so the ryder can direct warm air back to stay warm?!?

You know me... always thinking ahead (and oddly)
    We DID have some 2014 riders complain about the LACK if heat available for riding in chillier weather...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Rear sprocket bearing ? I don't think I understand how that fits in here.
    When you get the recall letter there is a sticker in it to put in your owners manual. It replaces the current 28k suggested maintenance section and expands it from just the bearings to bearings and prefilter.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I do NOT believe that is true.... The fuel system changes I am pretty sure have nothing to do with the Evap changes!

The Evap changes are pretty significant and should apply to all Spyders. So this time I disagree with you.

Bob
    Read the NHTSA report on why they are doing the fuel system changes. I did not believe it as well until I read the details in the testing and the explanation of why the returned fuel was causing the problem.

Other than starting clean and adding a prefilter at the vent line, there is not much change to the evap system. There may be control differences to purge at lower RPMs but its not mentioned in any of the documentation.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Recall

Will drop my RTL at the dealer tomorrow and pick it up next Monday, they did not have a loaner available, (?) will keep you posted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck...

Spyder Garage

What new intake? There is nothing in the recall affecting the air intake. (other than its removal and replacement to get to the throttle body where the old pressure regulator is located.
    Noticeable noise increase with intake........................

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Noticeable noise increase with intake........................
    No those are valves and engine you are hearing now without the additional insulated panels removed IMHO. Yes there is a bit more noise if you rev it sitting still but I can't hear it on the road.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

My yellow Spyder dragon 2013 RT-s has been in the shop since Monday....eager to get it back.

But... still.. very sceptical this is a solution for the gas vapours at slower speed.. fingers still crossed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So far; the initial reports have all been good...
    I hope that helps, to calm your doubts.

Spyder Garage

i am very happy for all the 13 rt owners that are happy with the fix on their bikes.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Good for all you guys and gals that hung in there. Hope this fix does the tricks. I wimped out and traded up. At my age life is short and I have no time to waste.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Good for all you guys and gals that hung in there. Hope this fix does the tricks. I wimped out and traded up. At my age life is short and I have no time to waste.

Jack

And I bet you have enjoyed the new bike immensely in the mean time.

There is no right or wrong here. We ended up doing one of each. It traded my 13 at Spyderfest, we still have Louise's. It is great that the recall fix is working so well. Its a different bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down nightmare

Dropped my bike off Monday at 9:30am it is noon Thursday not ready yet! I gave them two days initially, knowing it was there first install! Called them today and it might be ready in about 4 to 5 hours, found out they broke off a bolt and had to reTap it. Since forecast is rain tomorrow, will be picking her up Saturday. I will check her out very thoroughly before I leave dealer! Had to convince service manager that I would receive Co credit for my adjustable vents! Will be last visit to this dealer in Baldwin! !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    Dropped my bike off Monday at 9:30am it is noon Thursday not ready yet! I gave them two days initially, knowing it was there first install! Called them today and it might be ready in about 4 to 5 hours, found out they broke off a bolt and had to reTap it. Since forecast is rain tomorrow, will be picking her up Saturday. I will check her out very thoroughly before I leave dealer! Had to convince service manager that I would receive Co credit for my adjustable vents! Will be last visit to this dealer in Baldwin! !!

So sorry to hear how badly this is going for you. Make sure the dealer lets you know which bolt they snapped off and have to drill out. They need to install a helicoil if the threads are damaged. (I am betting one of the bolts on the support brace). Been there, done that, never did get Mancuso SW to own up and fix it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    Mine has been in the shop since May 27th (because of the whole "gotta drop it off before we can order parts"). The weather hasn't been too conducive to riding, so I haven't been too antsy until now. Called Tuesday afternoon asking what was going on, and they said they still hadn't gotten to it, even though the kit had come in a while ago. Said something about a Valkyrie needing a carb cleaning (I guess they have 6 of 'em) and that I was next. I'm beginning to think they don't want to tackle this recall.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They just "hadn't gotten around to it..."
    I think that I'd be standing on top of the Service Manager's desk; explaining at high volume, just how absolutely unacceptable that bull excuse is...

Spyder Garage

8 days after dropping my machine off at the dealer.. it was ready today.. only a mere 8 days... this makes a total of 11 weeks down time over 2 years messing about.
    No loaner either....at any time.

Scoops.. wish I'd have a choice of chrome or matched to the body paint but they don't look too offensive.
    All I could smell in a 7 km drive home was a new plastic smell.

Still sceptical... the testing start tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Picked it up last Saturday, work done. Scoops look great, topper ware cool, gas tank cool, BRP did a great job in solving heat issue.
    A couple of 2012 rt owners wanted to know if theyear could order them. I informed them that it was a special for 2013's only,lol!

Spyder Garage

I left Friday for a multi-day trip with 11 other Spyders. I had temps as high as 108 degrees on my screen, a few times, and Topper ran great. No excessive heat from the Tupperware, or glove box area . . . and I got in some stop and go city traffic on Saturday, when we rode to Cumberland MD to take a ride on the Western Maryland Railroad. Lots of sitting at waiting when you try maintaining group integrity with twelve Spyders in a busy tourist town . . .

I think BRP nailed it, this time. I am very happy with the results. An added bonus, and an unexpected one, was that I averaged just over 31 MPG for the trip, vs. my usual 26 or 27, and the lousy 20 MPG I was getting recently!

Thanks, BRP . . . I think you got it very right . . . and I love the looks of the new scoops. I got a lot of compliments on them . . . even strangers walking up to talk to our group noticed them and complimented me . . . some thought it was a farkle I'd added!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I'm finally able to get around and report as well. I had my recall done, Saturday, May 30th. However, I haven't been able to write due to colectomy surgery I had on June 3rd. (all went well).

I did take my spyder out yesterday in 96 degree humid Flarda weather and was pleasantly surprised. Although not an issue with me, "the boys" reported that they were comfortably cooler than what they had experienced in the past. I also did not experience the heat burn on my left inner thigh from the "gas door" on my Corbin saddle. (Note that I ride with shorts, tee shirt and deck shoes 90% of the time) I still feel the hot right foot, but it is not as bad. My gas mileage increased by about 3 mpg. 26 to 29 mpg.

I honestly think the BRP got it right and my thanks to them. I also want to thank Greg, Grant, Jason and others at Seminole Power Sports in Sanford, Florida, for helping me to get all this done in such a timely fashion.

Chris

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heads up about RH under panel

Reading the installation instructions again last night I noted that there is a component called a pre-filter of the new evap system that gets fastened to the RH under panel. If you, like me, have removed the panel to give better air flow downward then you will need to make sure the panel goes with the bike so it can be reinstalled. I don't see in the instructions right off hand how the filter can be supported without the panel being in place. Not sure what that will do to the scheme of using an upper heat block plate that I installed to keep from roasting my foot when it's resting on the highway peg.

Anyone had to deal with this situation yet? If so, what did you do?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Reading the installation instructions again last night I noted that there is a component called a pre-filter of the new evap system that gets fastened to the RH under panel. If you, like me, have removed the panel to give better air flow downward then you will need to make sure the panel goes with the bike so it can be reinstalled. I don't see in the instructions right off hand how the filter can be supported without the panel being in place. Not sure what that will do to the scheme of using an upper heat block plate that I installed to keep from roasting my foot when it's resting on the highway peg.

Anyone had to deal with this situation yet? If so, what did you do?
    They dealt with this with no difficulty. Used tie wraps to hold it to the lower radiator hose I think. It was no big deal and functions fine.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame