Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Another update on Louise RT.

Service manager Kevin test rode the bike and he is happy with it. So far his take was the body was not hot and no noticeable fumes after 15 mile ride in traffic at 90 deg. We pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

BRP responded to our request and receipts for reimbursement of the items already done to reduce underhood temps.

They declined to pay for the primary muffler bypass or the JT air cleaner but did agree to pay for the pipe and body insulation materials. Will be issued as a dealer credit. A bit disappointed on that decision but some is better than none I suppose.
    The dealer credit concept is a bunch of BS we paid $$$ and should receive in kind. We all know the BRP markup is out of sight and they will still make money on anything we use the credit for. They need hit in the wallet just like we did to try and fix their problems then they stole our ideas to do it. I advocated the scoop in that position check my threads. Many of us advocated movement of the canister. They still have 1 issue that may still cause them to get the third strike that is the MC melting. That pervious fix was a band aid the exhaust still runs by it and now airflow will blow heat on it. They should have sent new coated pipes instead of a couple of pieces of plastic and an ECM update. JMHO of course. Spend the least amount they can then refuse to return our money
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Exactly WHAT is Closed?

Quote Originally Posted by arsquatch View Post
    The summary investigation closing is posted there as well and is a pretty interesting read as well and to me some what shocking of the results. And it was the AP that reported it. So again I am truly hoping as a 2013 owner this is the fix to end all this all the way around or else They would not be closing the investigation I hope...
    Best place to look for the most accurate information is the NHTSA website, itself. There IS a document there called the "Closing Resume" which does say that the PE (Preliminary Evaluation) has been closed on this issue. Whether that means that the entire investigation is closed is unclear, but after reading the details I would assume so. I was doubtful that the investigation was closed for two reasons...

1. They don't yet have the field results for any owners who have undergone the recall procedure
    2. The original investigation included other models and years in addition to just the 2013 RT

However the details would seem to imply that they have indeed closed the entire investigation. They did address other models and years in this closing report and stated that they were satisfied with what BRP has previously done on vehicles before and after 2013 (adding scoops, etc.) This still seems very odd to me because 2013 was NOT the only model year for the RT that suffered fires, and AFAIK, there have been no fixes for previous model years for the RT on the overheating fuel issue. The only reason that makes sense to me, for closing the entire investigation, is if BRP has already agreed with the NHTSA to perform similar fixes for model years prior to 2013, and this has not yet been announced. (No way for the public to currently know this.) Otherwise I simply cannot understand why NHTSA would close the entire investigation with problems on earlier model years still outstanding.

You can read the entire report here...
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...14025-9804.PDF
    Last edited by robmorg; 06-03-2015 at 02:00 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Our 2011's still stink up the garage and on hot days you can hear the gas boiling in the tank. I truly hope this works for the 2013 owners and am waiting with baited breath for some real hot weather riding results. BRP may be using the 2013's as guinea pigs since they had the most severe issues and will eventually trickle it down to the rest of us.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Our 2011's still stink up the garage and on hot days you can hear the gas boiling in the tank. I truly hope this works for the 2013 owners and am waiting with baited breath for some real hot weather riding results. BRP may be using the 2013's as guinea pigs since they had the most severe issues and will eventually trickle it down to the rest of us.
    That's what I'm thinking as well. I sure HOPE that's the case.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Best place to look for the most accurate information is the NHTSA website, itself. There IS a document there called the "Closing Resume" which does say that the PE (Preliminary Evaluation) has been closed on this issue. Whether that means that the entire investigation is closed is unclear, but after reading the details I would assume so. I was doubtful that the investigation was closed for two reasons...

1. They don't yet have the field results for any owners who have undergone the recall procedure
    2. The original investigation included other models and years in addition to just the 2013 RT

However the details would seem to imply that they have indeed closed the entire investigation. They did address other models and years in this closing report and stated that they were satisfied with what BRP has previously done on vehicles before and after 2013 (adding scoops, etc.) This still seems very odd to me because 2013 was NOT the only model year for the RT that suffered fires, and AFAIK, there have been no fixes for previous model years for the RT on the overheating fuel issue. The only reason that makes sense to me, for closing the entire investigation, is if BRP has already agreed with the NHTSA to perform similar fixes for model years prior to 2013, and this has not yet been announced. (No way for the public to currently know this.) Otherwise I simply cannot understand why NHTSA would close the entire investigation with problems on earlier model years still outstanding.

You can read the entire report here...
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...14025-9804.PDF
    But where does it say NHTSA has approved a sulution?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    I talked with the investigator for NHTSA and posted about it a while back. He said it was approved and BRP would announce it...and this is the announcement. That being said if the fix proves ineffective or faulty and another Spyder goes up in flames (MC melts?) or someone else gets 3rd degree burns from touching the Tupperware there is nothing stopping a new investigation from being started. At this point the proof will be in the pudding. Time will tell.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    At the very end of the NHTSA report they say something to the effect that given the steps BRP has taken, the PE is now closed. That implies that they approved the solution. As Dave said above... Time will tell.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In another thread; JC's initial report seems VERY promising!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My dealer, (LandAir in Essex Junction Vermont) has the kits for the recall in stock and they have me scheduled in for next Thursday to have the service done. They showed me a customers white spyder that they had just completed with the kit installed. I can say that I do like the look of the new air scoops. I'll post pictures and give a report once I get the recall service done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    In another thread; JC's initial report seems VERY promising!
    Will look for JC's thread then ..... I'm booked in at my dealer for recall work Monday...still sceptical for low speed heat and gas boil problems.

I always wear my protective MinB-Glass's......... to Bob.

Spyder Garage

I just saw a few pictures on facebook on the recall mods on a 2013 RT and they look pretty good

Spyder Garage

Done! Thank you Sam and the Techs @ DDS Motor Sports Utica NY!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Done! Thank you Sam and the Techs @ DDS Motor Sports Utica NY!!!!
    ...And...?
    What are your initial impressions, of it's effectiveness?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...And...?
    What are your initial impressions, of it's effectiveness?
    Noticeable noise increase with intake, I never did have any of the heat issues I have read here - Only the right foot toe toaster vent deal.
    Power seemed different but I also had some Bark added to it with the addition of an Akrapovic......Bike actually feels slower.....Maybe it's just Sneaky Fast now and I just don't realize it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Appointment set for week of June 15th

Stopped by dealer today & setup recall appointment. While there I had a chance to see the scoops on a completed Spyder. I have to say they look better in person & they're attached securely. I asked my dealer to have the flat black part of the scoops painted the same color as the bike. They will be going to paint tomorrow & Will be installed week of June 15th.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hutchi56 View Post
    Just got back from dealer. They finished their first. Working on the second. The tech said it took 9 hrs on the first one. Here's a couple of pics.

Thanks so much for posting the photos, now I know what mine will look like. Any feedback on how it's working?
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Would like to know?

Has anyone with cat-bypass received credit from BRP.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Noticeable noise increase with intake, I never did have any of the heat issues I have read here - Only the right foot toe toaster vent deal.
    Power seemed different but I also had some Bark added to it with the addition of an Akrapovic......Bike actually feels slower.....Maybe it's just Sneaky Fast now and I just don't realize it

What new intake? There is nothing in the recall affecting the air intake. (other than its removal and replacement to get to the throttle body where the old pressure regulator is located.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    Has anyone with cat-bypass received credit from BRP.
    Its now on the list of items they specifically will not reimburse for, along with open element air cleaners.

So far, insulation including pipe wrap only. I was credited about $200 out of the nearly $900 spent on parts, no labor.

One aspect of the recall that many have overlooked is that they are adding insulation to the side panels near where your thighs and knees are.

Another is that additional maintenance items are now added to your schedule. The rear sprocket bearing now must be REPLACED each 28k miles along with the evap canister prefilter. Effectively moving the emissions component from warranty replacement to owner paid maintenance.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 06-06-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Its now on the list of items they specifically will not reimburse for, along with open element air cleaners.

So far, insulation including pipe wrap only. I was credited about $200 out of the nearly $900 spent on parts, no labor.

One aspect of the recall that many have overlooked is that they are adding insulation to the side panels near where your thighs and knees are.

Another is that additional maintenance items are now added to your schedule. The rear sprocket bearing now must be REPLACED each 28k miles along with the evap canister prefilter. Effectively moving the emissions component from warranty replacement to owner paid maintenance.
    The bearings where a maintenance item before at 28k they just added the prefilter that they added to the EVAP system near the drain hose on the bottom right under panel.I am betting that is really a catch can for any condensed gas still occurring from air flow through the EVAP canister.
    Last edited by Magdave; 06-06-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by inmate1905 View Post
    I called CFPS YESTERDAY, they do not have the parts yet. They said to call next week to check. Not sure if anyone else has the parts in the area. [emoji91]
    My Spyder is in the shop now. They provided me a loaner and said they will call me tomorrow. I am enjoying the 2015 F3s! I will be the 2nd update to be done at CFPS.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Joining the Spyder Movement and having fun with our 2013 RT Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default recall

I am having mine done at cfps on the 19th. Maybe I will be the third.

Spyder Garage

What I STILL want to know, is if I go into my dealer for evap canister being over saturated and stinking (which is covered even without extended warranty) will they put on the new system??????????????

This is my only complaint with my 2011 RTS.
    Hot days = canister stink in my garage. It just happened to me again today as summer is starting and it was 92.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    What I STILL want to know, is if I go into my dealer for evap canister being over saturated and stinking (which is covered even without extended warranty) will they put on the new system??????????????

This is my only complaint with my 2011 RTS.
    Hot days = canister stink in my garage. It just happened to me again today as summer is starting and it was 92.

Bob
    Replacing the canister on your 2011 with the new one will not solve the problem. The root of the problem is the excess vapors overloading the canister in the first place. That is what the fuel system revisions are for. The current changes to the fuel system will not work on a 2011.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Replacing the canister on your 2011 with the new one will not solve the problem. The root of the problem is the excess vapors overloading the canister in the first place. That is what the fuel system revisions are for. The current changes to the fuel system will not work on a 2011.
    What MAY help is the scoops and ditching the inside panels. I got my 13 done today and after some bumper to bumper on the way home the tank was cool at the neck.It would be a good thing for BRP to offer the scoops to 12 and earlier models. JMHO