Spyder Garage

Default Brighter head and tail lights

Can anyone recommend a replacement bulb for the front, fog and rear lights for a 2014 RTL? I have changed all the reflectors to LED and added extra led lights to the rear along with one on the inside of each front fender. The existing lights, both front and back are really not very bright. I feel I am out driving my lights when on low beam. Are there some higher intensity bulbs on the market that will work? I prefer to stay away from the HID lights due to having to deal with the blast and not sure how they would work with the high/low beam switch on the bike. [emoji41]

Spyder Garage

Default Sure..!!

check at your local autoparts stores. They carry a variety of brands and intensities.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You can replace the headlights and fog lights with HID bulbs from Xenon Depot, a site sponsor.

I changed the headlights. I haven't changed my foglights yet because I have to take off the frunk to get to them. A poor design in my opinion.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Reconsider HID

HID is the way to go. Xenon Depot makes an amazing product. I would caution you that they have, hands down, without a doubt, the absolutely crappiest instructions that I have ever seen. If it weren't for Doc Riverside, I would have never have accomplished my HID conversion. There isn't a halogen bulb or an LED assembly that is worthy of carrying the jockstrap of a set of HIDs. I started with the factory bulbs, so I saw the difference as I upgraded to HID Xenon in the headlights and the fog lights. It is worth all the work, time, and planning that is required. If, however, you are at the mercy of a dealer, don't even consider the upgrade as this project will consume vast amounts of time, thought, planning, and several unique tools and a dealer "tech" doesn't have the luxury to spend vast amounts of time, thought, planning, or buying special tools to accomplish your HID upgrade. If, however, you can do it yourself, you will be rewarded with the most amazing lighting that you could ever ask for. Not just my humble freaking opinion !

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up As to the "rears"

There is no product like Custom Dynamics for the rear or side lights. It's a well made product that will give you years of excellent service. I have the "Brightsides", the "Mudflap Lights" and the " High Mount Brake Light" and consider all of them well worth the time and money.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by satownsendsr View Post
    Can anyone recommend a replacement bulb for the front, fog and rear lights for a 2014 RTL? I have changed all the reflectors to LED and added extra led lights to the rear along with one on the inside of each front fender. The existing lights, both front and back are really not very bright. I feel I am out driving my lights when on low beam. Are there some higher intensity bulbs on the market that will work? I prefer to stay away from the HID lights due to having to deal with the blast and not sure how they would work with the high/low beam switch on the bike. [emoji41]
    The high/low beam it performed by a shutter system that blocks the upper portion of the headlight beam to create the low beam setting. You can hear the shutter moving up and down as you change from high to low beam settings. The lights themselves do not change in brightness, so HID is very well suited for the Spyder application. I have the Xenon Depot HIDs for my headlights and fog lights on my RT.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

I did the HID conversions on my 13 RTS. They worked great but were not an easy install.

I did the LED conversions (Phillips LEDs from XenonDepot) on Louise 13 RTS. MUCH easier install and the worked great. Far better than other LED conversions in projector lamps.

When I got my new F3, I went straight for the LED conversion and have been VERY pleased with them. I am adding the BRP Aux lights but am disappointed that there is not LED conversion available for the H3 lamp used. I will not use an HID in this location as the ballast and lamp would be RIGHT next to the ECM on the left side. That would just be ASKING for nanny troubles. So, until H3 LEDs become available from a reputable source, I'll use a set of 5000k H3 capsules in them for the white color to come close to the LEDs.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I did the HID conversions on my 13 RTS. They worked great but were not an easy install.

I did the LED conversions (Phillips LEDs from XenonDepot) on Louise 13 RTS. MUCH easier install and the worked great. Far better than other LED conversions in projector lamps.

When I got my new F3, I went straight for the LED conversion and have been VERY pleased with them. I am adding the BRP Aux lights but am disappointed that there is not LED conversion available for the H3 lamp used. I will not use an HID in this location as the ballast and lamp would be RIGHT next to the ECM on the left side. That would just be ASKING for nanny troubles. So, until H3 LEDs become available from a reputable source, I'll use a set of 5000k H3 capsules in them for the white color to come close to the LEDs.
    I plan to go with the LED conversion but when I went to xenon depot's Web site there were bulbs for 9005, 9005L, and 9005LL. Any idea which ones I should order? ::😞on't know::

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HID's

I put the HID's on both headlights and fog lights.....huge difference at night........ I am very pleased. I am looking for a brighter tail light to replace the stock lights...... I have the HID...never too many lights ....

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just installed Silver Star Ultra's in my headlights ($50 at Advance Auto) They work great and are the brightest bulb made.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I just installed Silver Star Ultra's in my headlights ($50 at Advance Auto) They work great and are the brightest bulb made.
    I caution against using Silver Star bulbs.
    Yes, they do give a bright light and from that standpoint they are an improvement, but the additional light comes at the cost of bulb life.

I put a set of Silver Stars on my ST1100 and in one riding season they burned out. Remember, on a motorcycle, the headlights are on all the time you ride, not just at night.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I added Clearwater lights to the lower inner wheel area..This added more light on the pave way.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 100 WATT BULBS

......Since absolutely EVERYONE on this Forum has said DO NOT DO THIS ......don't do this .......I put 100 Watt - Bright White # 9005 Halogen bulbs on my 2014 RT about 1200 hrs ago........I have had no problems with Heat or wiring.......The OEM bulb is 65 watts.......so you are going up 35 watts......and the load has not caused a problem......They cost me about $ 3.50 ea. on E-Bay (delivered)........I checked how they looked against my GF's RT and they are a lot better .........but as EVERYONE HERE SAYS ......do not use them...........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-18-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I caution against using Silver Star bulbs.
    Yes, they do give a bright light and from that standpoint they are an improvement, but the additional light comes at the cost of bulb life.

I put a set of Silver Stars on my ST1100 and in one riding season they burned out. Remember, on a motorcycle, the headlights are on all the time you ride, not just at night.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    First negative I've heard about them. The OEM only lasted just a little over a year. What would you suggest then if not the SSU's?