Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Are you able to use a foot brake in your car, truck, or suv ? If you don't need a handbrake in these, why do you need a handbrake on your Spyder ?
    My ankle is fixed at a 90°angle. The spyder is very accommodating for handicapped people with the exception of the handbrake. Why not accept that role in the marketplace and put a handbrake on it?
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Handbrake and other features

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    My ankle is fixed at a 90°angle. The spyder is very accommodating for handicapped people with the exception of the handbrake. Why not accept that role in the marketplace and put a handbrake on it?
    Just read this thread, a year or more on, don't know if this thread should remain active. Should be useful for consumers to realize what "hardened" biker or trikers perspective might be.

I'll go for the handbrake as important to a large part of the Spyder demographic.

As a two wheel bike owner, handlebars always mean there is a hand lever brake. Many have been utterly conditioned to it being there and arguably brake response time is shortened (quicker to move two fingers than a heavier whole lower leg and foot).

There are other aspects that no one has mentioned.
    1. when hard braking one resorts to the primitive instinct, our hands respond quicker and with greater motor skill or controllable reflex (the hands are also closer to the brain or spinal cord).
    2. a motorcyclist uses the hand brake to a greater degree than the foot. The primary response is go for the hand lever then the foot brake. So there needs to be a reversal of this sequence reflex, and
    3. a motorcyclist has learned to wrestle with handlebars, hands on the brake under heavy braking. There is a disconnect if one cannot control the "machine" via the handlebars, when these learned subconscious instincts kick in in an emergency.

Yes this often means a lot of unlearning, it is not as simple for some to just use the footbrake even though they have years and megamiles doing so in a car or truck. I suggest it is that we have a handlebar in front of us that confuses our motorcycle brain, and perhaps we would respond differently if the Spyder came with a steering wheel (god forbid!).

I also forgot to mention two other things:
    1. Can Am markets this to a large demographic where a car licence is all that is required, and
    2. A handbrake is very useful when stationary, mounting or dismounting. One can get to the bars from either side or even from the front. Get to the foot pedal when your Spyder begins to roll is a feat in gymnastics! There will be an awkward moment when dismounting necessitating release of the foot when the parkbrake has not been engaged properly (or indeed disengaged again inadvertently - ref GS/RS)!
    Last edited by rosebelle; 08-18-2016 at 12:11 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Handbrake and other features

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    Just read this thread, a year or more on, don't know if this thread should remain active. Should be useful for consumers to realize what "hardened" biker or trikers perspective might be.

I'll go for the handbrake as important to a large part of the Spyder demographic.

As a two wheel bike owner, handlebars always mean there is a hand lever brake. Many have been utterly conditioned to it being there and arguably brake response time is shortened (quicker to move two fingers than a heavier whole lower leg and foot).

There are other aspects that no one has mentioned.
    1. when hard braking one resorts to the primitive instinct, our hands respond quicker and with greater motor skill or controllable reflex (the hands are also closer to the brain or spinal cord).
    2. a motorcyclist uses the hand brake to a greater degree than the foot. The primary response is go for the hand lever then the foot brake. So there needs to be a reversal of this sequence reflex, and
    3. a motorcyclist has learned to wrestle with handlebars, hands on the brake under heavy braking. There is a disconnect if one cannot control the "machine" via the handlebars, when these learned subconscious instincts kick in in an emergency.

Yes this often means a lot of unlearning, it is not as simple for some to just use the footbrake even though they have years and megamiles doing so in a car or truck. I suggest it is that we have a handlebar in front of us that confuses our motorcycle brain, and perhaps we would respond differently if the Spyder came with a steering wheel (god forbid!).

Spyder Garage

Default Stock Requirement?

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    Maybe they will be watching....................................

If you could look at all the add-ons available for the ... what should CanAm have made as a stock part of the Spyder ? List two:

I will start

1. SpiderPops Style Bumpskid
    2. Battery gauge

Your turn !
    My $.02 (1). Real wide angle mirrors to eliminate the HUGE BLIND spot alongside slightly to the rear right and left. Even large trucks disappear in the "Black Hole".
    (2). Serviceable headlights that can be replaced without disassembly of the instrument cluster.
    (3). Larger dash!
    (4). Real tires rated for the anticipated loads.
    (5). A real belt guard, BMW does it on their belt drive models almost fully enclosed!
    (6). Eliminate the DESS, how many SPYDERs really get stolen without being hauled off on a truck!
    Last edited by MercerLake; 08-18-2016 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Adding Clarity hopefully

Spyder Garage

Default Order options

Why not allow customers to order what they want? Color, transmission, sound system, bars, seat. The 2017 RTS is not available in a manual transmission! Why? Color choices? Really? I bet for a custom made bike, folks would wait, and be much happier. Fill out an order sheet, pay a deposit, in 6 weeks your new Spyder arrives, ready to go!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

A lot of these suggestions make sense but then again it would take away some of the farkling fun not to mention hampering the vendors that we love sending our money. Just say'n

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since this thread has been pulled from the vaults: How much are you going to be willing to actually pay for all of the stuff that's on your personal wish-lists?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Reminds me of the phrase. "PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER"

Spyder Garage

Default Why would you need one

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    a back up camera integrated
    Why would you need a backup camera? Can't you just turn your head a little and look behind you?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited