Thread: Heat problems

Spyder Garage

Default Heat problems

BRP is going to be in their last week to get the 2013 RT calls going. Does anyone think this is going to happen in May 2015?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i think it will happen, but what i would worry about is the parts being delivered.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe the NHTSA has them on a time-clock; it'll happen!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I believe the NHTSA has them on a time-clock; it'll happen!
    Don't forget, Transport Canada is also concerned with the BRP solution.

Spyder Garage

I live in SE Ohio and just got a 2013 Spyder RT. I read about the recall the day I picked it up. My dealer said that there was no open recalls on mine and he could not let it out the door if there was. Yesterday when riding yesterday when I tried to start it after a brief stop it would not idle and stall. Is this part of the problem with the heat issue? It was in the higher 80's yesterday. Also, this is the second time this has happened and both times I had about a 1/4 tank of fuel. I'm' going to contact another dealer this week. Does everyone just stop riding when the outside temp is over 85 degrees??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sliderrj View Post
    I live in SE Ohio and just got a 2013 Spyder RT. I read about the recall the day I picked it up. My dealer said that there was no open recalls on mine and he could not let it out the door if there was. Yesterday when riding yesterday when I tried to start it after a brief stop it would not idle and stall. Is this part of the problem with the heat issue? It was in the higher 80's yesterday. Also, this is the second time this has happened and both times I had about a 1/4 tank of fuel. I'm' going to contact another dealer this week. Does everyone just stop riding when the outside temp is over 85 degrees??
    If you bought the bike used (so it has some miles on it), you may be experiencing the dry cracking of a particular small rubber hose(s) that connects to each head. Its about 3-4 inches long, about 1/4" in diameter. It has to be a particular length and must be matched to the same length on both sides. My left side went out on my 2012 RTS and the symptoms sound just like yours. BRP doesn't cover this under warranty because it is a rubber part and these things "can fail"; I believe they fail [early] because of the excessive heat from the left side exhaust pipe. I have lots of rubber hoses in my F150 that have been in place since 2002 with 130,000 miles on the engine with NO rubber hose failure.

If you can pull the left side body panels, you can check all of the small hoses connecting to the head. The hose they showed me, the dry rot was evident. The part is less than $12 (for a small rubber hose!!), but costs about $70 if they do the repair work.

Good luck.

Jerry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdr View Post
    Don't forget, Transport Canada is also concerned with the BRP solution.
    I'm sorry... I'm just not as aware of Canada's regulatory agencies, as I am the ones on this side of the Border...

Spyder Garage

Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I am guessing they are running behind with such a large problem to solve and will ask for an extension. The four fixes they tried on mine never worked. This is a huge problem and one that is going to be hard to remedy. Remember the 2013 was supposed to have the 1330 in a newly designed frame. The engine was not ready yet so the 998 was retrofitted to the new frame creating an engine and exhaust that is too close to the gas tank and rider. This created an enormous heat and boiling gas problem due to insufficient cooling and spacing.

This will not be an easy or cheap fix. I due believe and am hoping BRP gets this right this time. Another "cheap band aid fix will not do it".

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

BRP is on track to deliver in May. I heard that the parts will distributed in the warmer climates first and then to the cooler climates.
    BRP will have the fix for the Canadian spyder owners too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    If you bought the bike used (so it has some miles on it), you may be experiencing the dry cracking of a particular small rubber hose(s) that connects to each head. Its about 3-4 inches long, about 1/4" in diameter. It has to be a particular length and must be matched to the same length on both sides. My left side went out on my 2012 RTS and the symptoms sound just like yours. BRP doesn't cover this under warranty because it is a rubber part and these things "can fail"; I believe they fail [early] because of the excessive heat from the left side exhaust pipe. I have lots of rubber hoses in my F150 that have been in place since 2002 with 130,000 miles on the engine with NO rubber hose failure.

If you can pull the left side body panels, you can check all of the small hoses connecting to the head. The hose they showed me, the dry rot was evident. The part is less than $12 (for a small rubber hose!!), but costs about $70 if they do the repair work.

Good luck.

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry, just got it last Tuesday and it has 5,200+ miles on it. I'll check the hoses you mentioned.

Spyder Garage

I'm very happy to hear about the two little rubber hoses. I had that problem last year and sure enough it cost me $12.00 each
    and an hour to have them replace them. At least I know how to check and replace them now. Thanks for the info! I was told that warranty
    does not cover this fix because it's considered "maintenance" I've had lots of bikes and cars, snow machines and quads, I've never had problems with
    little rubber hoses. I'm sure it's an issue with the heat.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sliderrj View Post
    Thanks Jerry, just got it last Tuesday and it has 5,200+ miles on it. I'll check the hoses you mentioned.
    That's too funny, mine went out at about 5,200 miles too.

Jerry

Spyder Garage

The speculation has run rampant in other threads with hundreds of replies and thousands of looks.

BRP has until Friday--the last business day of the month--or they may milk it and publish a Sunday 5/31/15 announcement.

A lot is riding on this announcement, and the fix thereafter. I have a feeling they are going to make it within the required time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry... I'm just not as aware of Canada's regulatory agencies, as I am the ones on this side of the Border...
    it's OK Bob, you have your opinion and I respect it. But if Transport Canada find something is wrong, fix wil not be available soon on both side of the borders. BRP will not develop a fix for the USA and another one for Canada and the rest of the world. And, as BRP is a Canadian company, be sure the fix will receive approval from Transport Canada before it's release.

Last update I receive is the fix will be available very soon.

ps: phone lines are open between NHTSA and Transport Canada.
    Last edited by tigerdr; 05-25-2015 at 05:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    I'm very happy to hear about the two little rubber hoses. I had that problem last year and sure enough it cost me $12.00 each
    and an hour to have them replace them. At least I know how to check and replace them now. Thanks for the info! I was told that warranty
    does not cover this fix because it's considered "maintenance" I've had lots of bikes and cars, snow machines and quads, I've never had problems with

SilverFox
    First, there is no reason to pay $12 each for 4" of plain rubber hose. They are NOT premoulded special hoses, its bulk hose cut from a reel. Second, replace with pure silicone hose you can get at most auto parts stores or online and they will never dry rot and crack again. It's 3mm vacuum hose.

Next, they ARE covered by the BRP standard and BEST extended warranty as an emissions compliance item. READ the warranty contract, its actually very simple and straightforward. Your dealer is feeding you a line of malarkey to get more money out of your pocket.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But they DO need to be the exact same length...
    (Not close: EXACT!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post

SilverFox
    A concern I have is excessive heat exposure to all susceptible components within the cowling will cause many other problems and early wear down the road from heat degradation.

BRP should be liable for all the damage and repair all this "maintenance stuff" as they would like to "try" to call it for 2 years past the date added to the date they repair the overheating issue with the recalls.

Logic being it's been exposed to excessive wear for the last 2 years on a 2013 RT while BRP danced to resolve the problem.

6 days to go Bob.. still hangin...lol
    Last edited by condorflysu; 05-25-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Heat

We just need the set up that this frame was designed for, if they do that then I will be buying my wife one and if not we will do a reversed Honda Goldwing. BRP please don't let us down.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you want THAT setup; buy yourself a 2014 or 2015 RT...
    It's only my opinion; but I don't think that anybody is going to be stuffing a 1330 underneath your Tupperware anytime soon...
    (Sorry)

Spyder Garage

If you want THAT setup; buy yourself a 2014 or 2015 RT...
    It's only my opinion; but I don't think that anybody is going to be stuffing a 1330 underneath your Tupperware anytime soon...
    (Sorry)

Curious... I wonder how many people did "stuff" their Tupperware with 1330's using the lemon-aid laws I so wish we had in Canada.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My guess : nobody! The 1330 engine won't fit under the old front end at all...

Spyder Garage

The recall has been released; more information in this thread.

Spyder Garage

Default recall

my dealer will not schedule me in until they hear from you, wild west 281/392-8940

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

I am guessing they are running behind with such a large problem to solve and will ask for an extension. The four fixes they tried on mine never worked. This is a huge problem and one that is going to be hard to remedy. Remember the 2013 was supposed to have the 1330 in a newly designed frame. The engine was not ready yet so the 998 was retrofitted to the new frame creating an engine and exhaust that is too close to the gas tank and rider. This created an enormous heat and boiling gas problem due to insufficient cooling and spacing.

This will not be an easy or cheap fix. I due believe and am hoping BRP gets this right this time. Another "cheap band aid fix will not do it".

Jack
    Hi Jack,

Can you tell me specifically what the 4 fixes they tried on your bike. Just wondering if these will be what they try to sell us on as a "fix." Thanks.