Spyder Garage

Default Got a deal on a 1330 oil change kit

Bought a kit for a 1330 but it is for the sm 6. I need the se6. Question is,,,do I just need to get just a new filter? Will all the O rings in this kit fit or will I need new O rings also?
    I can't return it or exchange it. I bought the kit for less than the oil cost so I'm not real disappointed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketman View Post
    Bought a kit for a 1330 but it is for the sm 6. I need the se6. Question is,,,do I just need to get just a new filter? Will all the O rings in this kit fit or will I need new O rings also?
    I can't return it or exchange it. I bought the kit for less than the oil cost so I'm not real disappointed.
    You only need a transmission filter if the 1300 has one call Baja Ron for filters and o rings

Spyder Garage

Default Careful..!!

there should not be a difference. The Se6 will need a trans filter change at 28,000 miles but otherwise only the engine filter. Only the 998 engine needed both filters for the Se5 and the sigle engine filter for the Sm5. Make sure your kit is for the 1330 ACE engine...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I looked in the Parts Catalog and can't find the transmission filter.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I'm confused with the different responses. Here is a picture of the label on the kit and another picture in the accessories book. If the filters are the same, why the different catalog numbers? To me, the label suggest that it will work on the 1330 but the stock number suggest that it is for the SM6 and not for the SE6.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The SM6 oil filter has only one opening. The SE6 has two openings. I had to drive 80 miles one way when the dealer gave me the kit for the SM6. Had the bike tore down ready to change the filter and found out I had the wrong one. A very costly mistake. Take a look at the round filter. It will only have one opening if it is for the SM6.
    Also, I was told that BRP rarely replaces the O rings. That was why they didn't stock them at the dealer. And yet, when they invoice you for the oil change, many shops are charging for them even though they are not used.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    The SM6 oil filter has only one opening. The SE6 has two openings. I had to drive 80 miles one way when the dealer gave me the kit for the SM6. Had the bike tore down ready to change the filter and found out I had the wrong one. A very costly mistake. Take a look at the round filter. It will only have one opening if it is for the SM6.
    Also, I was told that BRP rarely replaces the O rings. That was why they didn't stock them at the dealer. And yet, when they invoice you for the oil change, many shops are charging for them even though they are not used.
    My filter has one hole in it all the way thru right in the middle. It is open on both ends. Is that what you mean. As you can see the kit is for a SM6 according to the numbers. I'll go to the dealer near me and compare the filters.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pretty sure that the only difference is the amount of oil. There are bunch of o-rings and a couple of crush washers for both.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

BRP SM6 and SE6 oil change kits are identical except for the SE6 kit has 7 quarts of oil and the SM6 kit has 6 quarts of oil. You only need 5 quarts of oil for either the SM6 or the SE6 so it is a complete mystery as to why BRP puts and extra quart in the SE6 kit.

The filter is the same for both. It is open at both ends.

The SM5/SE5 OEM oil filter can be either open at both ends or closed at one end as the filter cap effectively seals that end of the filter anyway. But of course the 998 V-Twin filters will not interchange with the 1330 3 cylinder.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432523718.413389.jpg

For oil you get 6qt in the SE Kit. Not sure what you get in the SM kit. The big container is 1 gal (4 qts)

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Upon checking back they had given me one for the 998, not 1330. Thanks for the correction!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    BRP SM6 and SE6 oil change kits are identical except for the SE6 kit has 7 quarts of oil and the SM6 kit has 6 quarts of oil. You only need 5 quarts of oil for either the SM6 or the SE6 so it is a complete mystery as to why BRP puts and extra quart in the SE6 kit.

The filter is the same for both. It is open at both ends.

The SM5/SE5 OEM oil filter can be either open at both ends or closed at one end as the filter cap effectively seals that end of the filter anyway. But of course the 998 V-Twin filters will not interchange with the 1330 3 cylinder.
    Thanks for the explanation, I have 6 qts in the kit that I have. It is good to know that I'll be okay with the sm6 kit. No wonder the dealers can't get it right half the time. I won't go into detail why I had to return to dealership three time to get an extra key made.

Spyder Garage

Angry I hate this stealership!!!

I just hate when the dealer( stealer)ship screws you over.

I was quoted $250 over the phone. then $300 at the shop, final bill======$336 pissed me off

And yes they charged me for 7 quarts of thier "gold fortified" oil" On top of that they charged for all the O rings individually rather than the oil change kit. They didn't charge to put in the magnetic drain plugs
    . But the Allen socket on one of the plugs was stripped( the Torx was fine).

I will now avoid this stealership as much as I can. They ( Michaels powersports of Reno) will get as little of my $$$ as possible.

How do I tell BRP about these guys??????
    Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default This is what I do...

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post

I just hate when the dealer( stealer)ship screws you over.

I was quoted $250 over the phone. then $300 at the shop, final bill======$336 pissed me off

And yes they charged me for 7 quarts of thier "gold fortified" oil" On top of that they charged for all the O rings individually rather than the oil change kit. They didn't charge to put in the magnetic drain plugs
    . But the Allen socket on one of the plugs was stripped( the Torx was fine).

I will now avoid this stealership as much as I can. They ( Michaels powersports of Reno) will get as little of my $$$ as possible.

How do I tell BRP about these guys??????
    Kaos
    I order the oil change kit from site sponsor Honda East ($75.00 delivered to my door) and give it to my dealer (Maximum Power Sports). They charge me one hour labor and I'm out the door. I have a 2014 RTL (1330).

Life is good!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Odd as it is, the box for the SE had 7 quarts. I know the manual says less and when I did that change, I went back and double checked.

Still have one unopened qt and about a 1/2 qt sitting on the shelf.

Free to anyone wanting to come by and get it.

PK
    Keep the oil and next change buy 4 quarts. Its comes in qt containers too. Buy the filter separately, and pay the dealer for changing it if you can't do it yourself. O rings do
    not need to be changed each time unless one should get nicked or torn during removal.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)