Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 3,000 mile oil change question

How many people are really waiting to the 3,000 mile mark to do the first oil change on the 1330 motor? My Harley's required that the breaking service be done @1,000 miles. I had the first oil change on my GL1800 @2,000 miles. I was giving serious thought to having my first oil change around 1200-1500 miles. Thoughts??????
    I've read here that Amsoil is the way to go. Will BRP dealers put that in, or will they only use the XPS oil? Is their full synthetic oil better than the blended oil???
    Thanks for helping a newB out
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Choices choices..!!

All choices. BRP recommends at 3,000 miles and thats fine. The next one at 9,300 miles is the one I would change to something more like 4 or 5,000 miles. XPS blend is what I use and it is a good oil. The full synthetic is probably better but not for where and how I ryde. Amsoil is a good oill and sold here as well as filters and used by many. Most dealers will put the oil of your choice if it meets specs. You can set up your own oil change program as long as you don't go over the 9,000 + miles between them....doubt anyone will...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I'm not comfortable with a 9k+ oci on ANY vehicle, especially one that shares the motor oil with the trans. Most oil shear is due to trans gears. The trans is hard on oil.

If it were me I'd do like we do on the wife's mini where the oci is 8k and maintenance is paid for/included. We let mini do the 8k oci and I personally do a change half way. This way the car sees 4k oci and mini is happy seeing it every 8k as to not cause possible warranty concerns.
    Ive never understood skimping or extending services to save money. Oil changes are cheap in comparison to what you spent on the machine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The book says 3,000 miles; I figure that the guy who wrote it, wasn't trying to bust a bunch of engines with bad advice...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The book says 3,000 miles; I figure that the guy who wrote it, wasn't trying to bust a bunch of engines with bad advice...
    I agree with Bob. I can't believe all the "automotive engineers" on this site that believe the book is wrong. And that BRP would tell you to deliberately ruin your engine and tranny. My wing called for 8,000 mile changes. On dino oil. They, all of them, also add once a year. You can bet that BRP tested their theory well beyond the 9300 mile mark. Air cooled engines are way different. The oil is subjected to way higher temps than water cooled ones. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Personally, I'm not comfortable with a 9k+ oci on ANY vehicle, especially one that shares the motor oil with the trans. Most oil shear is due to trans gears. The trans is hard on oil.
    For comparison, acknowledging that the oil doesn't go through the trans, a 1990 Acura I had at one time had a factory recommended oci of 15k miles. This was before synthetics were an every day product.

Industrial engines, and most OTR trucks, change oil based on analysis. That means in some cases the oil may not get changed for 20, 30, maybe even 50k miles.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    For comparison, acknowledging that the oil doesn't go through the trans, a 1990 Acura I had at one time had a factory recommended oci of 15k miles. This was before synthetics were an every day product.

Industrial engines, and most OTR trucks, change oil based on analysis. That means in some cases the oil may not get changed for 20, 30, maybe even 50k miles.
    Some of the OTR trucks with bypass filtration go 400,000 or more with just filter changes.http://www.ops-1.com/
    I think you should change your oil when you feel comfortable. I change my Kawasaki with recommended 7,500 intervals at 3,000. The 2012 RT goes 4,000 on BRP oil and filters.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post

True. It all comes down to personal preference really. I'd never argue anyone's decision to maintain their own machines the way they choose to.
    I remember a mechanic friend years ago talking about Hondas that came into his shop. He used to say they were the worst best cars on the road, in regards to their owners and how they were maintained.....I alway thought that was an interesting view.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My question would be.....How do you filter fuel dilution? Other than breakdown, fuel dilution is my primary concern with long oci's.
    I'm still, and likely always will be in the camp of run whatever oil/filter combo puts a smile on your face, but change it once in awhile.

Spyder Garage

I had to wait a week past my 3000 miles to get it into the dealer. The first oil change was at 4500 miles. The second oil change at the beginning of this season--around 10500 miles on the odometer. We will see if I need another change this season or not. 9300 miles or once a year--per the manual.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm already at 3000+ and need to get it in, but hey, need to go riding right now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

By the way; BRP says 9300 miles, OR ONE YEAR; whichever comes first.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP AND THE ENGINE TRANS WARRANTY

BRP is very, very sure with their mileage requirements for oil / filter changes etc....that no matter how badly your engine / trans is being damaged by this service interval.......It will absolutely last until " AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES "........Then when the engine / trans goes SOUTH.... BRP will sell you a NEW ONE.........Now some of you out there may think this is far fetched , but in 2012 if you were asked if it were possible BRP would sell 2013 RT fire starters you would have laughed.........But No one is laughing NOW.........just sayin........Mike PS, I change My Full Syn oil at 5000 miles.......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those long service intervals look good for all vehicle manufacturers. Makes it look like the cost of ownership is less.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think the key is what your oil is actually doing. Oil analysis. For under $20 you can get a kit and have your oil tested. I will probably go 5k on mine on this change, but the lab gave me a caution at 4400 last year due to the oil dropping to 20wt after that long. That was BRP 5-40 semi-dino oil. And I do all my own changes.

Spyder Garage

Just a further verification. The chart that is posted quite often leaves a question about the 9300 mile interval.

For the 1330 ACE engine:

I asked Steve at BRP care the following question several months ago. I posted the results.

A reiteration seems justified here:

The FIRST oil change is recommended at 3000 miles (the break in service).

The second oil change is recommended 9300 miles LATER, (12,300 miles or so).

Subsequent oil changes are then every 9300 miles or once a year, whichever comes first.

I am now into a pattern of oil change at the beginning of the year--regardless of mileage. This year I changed the oil at 10,500 or so on the odometer. A couple thousand miles less than recommend above.

Also, I cannot see anything wrong with changing the oil earlier than recommended above.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-25-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I did my first maintenance at 3000 miles and the next three maintenance stops at 9300 miles each and the RTL has run great the whole time with no oil usage. I use BRP blended synthetic. My buddy uses AMSOIL and his burns a quart of oil every time we do a trip. I can't understand why people think the BRP engineers would be aggressive on the oil change interval. Their track record has shown them to be very conservative..
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A QUART

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I did my first maintenance at 3000 miles and the next three maintenance stops at 9300 miles each and the RTL has run great the whole time with no oil usage. I use BRP blended synthetic. My buddy uses AMSOIL and his burns a quart of oil every time we do a trip. I can't understand why people think the BRP engineers would be aggressive on the oil change interval. Their track record has shown them to be very conservative..
    And what is your Buddy operating ?????.......and how far is the trip ?????........All this makes a very big difference .....just sayin ....Mike

Spyder Garage

For over 50 years on both cars and bikes I have followed the MANUFACTURER's recommended schedule.

50 years later whether car or bike, not one problem for following their schedule.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    How many people are really waiting to the 3,000 mile mark to do the first oil change on the 1330 motor? My Harley's required that the breaking service be done @1,000 miles. I had the first oil change on my GL1800 @2,000 miles. I was giving serious thought to having my first oil change around 1200-1500 miles. Thoughts??????
    I've read here that Amsoil is the way to go. Will BRP dealers put that in, or will they only use the XPS oil? Is their full synthetic oil better than the blended oil???
    Thanks for helping a newB out
    Mike

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black