Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Reputable dealers in southern California? seeing horror stories on Yelp.

So after some research I am a few weeks from purchasing the Spyder F3-S. I am a complete newbie with motor bikes. I have no motorcycle experience what so ever. So I visited a dealership today in Whittier just to check out the bike and I loved it. So I am on Yelp and checking out the dealer reviews and there are a lot of bad ones. I check out other dealers in So Cal, and more bad reviews. Some are really bad. Now I am worried. I am new to purchasing a motorcycle and am afraid of getting ripped off by shady dealers. I have bought several cars and know how to handle them, but no experience in purchasing a motorcycle.

Can some of you experts share your experiences to help a newbie out? I don't want to be discouraged in not purchasing the Spyder.

Thanks in advance.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My suggestion is to go to the BRP website and look for a "Platinum Dealer". It is not easy to achieve that ranking.
    As in most circumstances, those with a negative experience are more likely to post a review. You will likely find several negative reviews by a single person. A good experience typically does not elicit a response. Only a great experience will.
    i am sure there are those on here from your area that can recommend a great dealer.
    Good luck and we hope to welcome you to the Spyder community soon.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT A GOOD SUGGESTION

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    My suggestion is to go to the BRP website and look for a "Platinum Dealer". It is not easy to achieve that ranking.
    As in most circumstances, those with a negative experience are more likely to post a review. You will likely find several negative reviews by a single person. A good experience typically does not elicit a response. Only a great experience will.
    i am sure there are those on here from your area that can recommend a great dealer.
    Good luck and we hope to welcome you to the Spyder community soon.
    The DEALER rating system that BRP has in place has very little to do with what goes on in the SERVICE dept ( if anything at all ).......and more to do with HOW MANY BRP products the Dealer sells...........Yes a " Platinum dealer " can have a great service dept. but the rating is meaningless....JMHO....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

What part of SoCal are you in..?? some folks feel that is anywhere south of the Oregon state line... but then I'm as far south as you can go without ending up in Mexico. There are great ones in this area. Bert's Mega Mall, Escondido Cycle Center, Southbay Motor Sports to name a few and a great one (not a dealer) Pirate Powersports....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by triceptive View Post
    So after some research I am a few weeks from purchasing the Spyder F3-S. I am a complete newbie with motor bikes. I have no motorcycle experience what so ever. So I visited a dealership today in Whittier just to check out the bike and I loved it. So I am on Yelp and checking out the dealer reviews and there are a lot of bad ones. I check out other dealers in So Cal, and more bad reviews. Some are really bad. Now I am worried. I am new to purchasing a motorcycle and am afraid of getting ripped off by shady dealers. I have bought several cars and know how to handle them, but no experience in purchasing a motorcycle.

Can some of you experts share your experiences to help a newbie out? I don't want to be discouraged in not purchasing the Spyder.

Thanks in advance.
    drive by the dealer and watch what kind of activity it has, how many units are on display, and observe theit service dept. casually talk to some of their custmers

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance.
    I can vouch for the Whittier Fun Center. I bought my Spyder from them four years ago this June and it was a pleasant experience. Their service department has been first rate with two excellent CanAm techs. The owner, Tom Gobrecht, is omnipresent, and does not stand for shabby service, sales or service department. He maintains that his best sales people are his service department customers and will quickly get involved if there is a problem with customer service. Check them out.

Jim "Kraut" Fussner
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Spyder Garage

I also went through this ordeal with SoCal dealers. One of my worst experiences was with one of these dealers which was not mentioned. I settled on Jet World in Lake Hughes and we purchased 2 F3's from Kirk. Great dealer. I don't go much for Yelp. Jet World is great in my humble opinion.

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am in the Los Angeles area, with 2 dealers close to me (Whittier Fun center and Del Amo motor sports). I would definitely drive out of my area to get a better deal at a better dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    What part of SoCal are you in..?? some folks feel that is anywhere south of the Oregon state line... but then I'm as far south as you can go without ending up in Mexico. There are great ones in this area. Bert's Mega Mall, Escondido Cycle Center, Southbay Motor Sports to name a few and a great one (not a dealer) Pirate Powersports....[emoji106]
    Southbay has always proven ti be very competent when I bought Spyder stuff to take back home to Germany. So I second Chupaca!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GunDoctor View Post
    I also went through this ordeal with SoCal dealers. One of my worst experiences was with one of these dealers which was not mentioned. I settled on Jet World in Lake Hughes and we purchased 2 F3's from Kirk. Great dealer. I don't go much for Yelp. Jet World is great in my humble opinion.

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    I've met the guys at Jet World and they have helped me on the phone (a little WD-40 used as directed saved me a warranty claim). I would absolutely check them out.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

What part of SoCal are you in..?? some folks feel that is anywhere south of the Oregon state line... but then I'm as far south as you can go without ending up in Mexico. There are great ones in this area. Bert's Mega Mall, Escondido Cycle Center, Southbay Motor Sports to name a few and a great one (not a dealer) Pirate Powersports....[emoji106]
    I lived in Chula Vista for about 2 years. Where do you live?

Spyder Garage

I read this first as a buyer question, but it seems pretty obvious you are asking about service. Pirate Powersports in Riverside is the hands-down choice for anything non-warranty (as others have said in this thread and in other threads as well). Bert's has done my warranty work and they've taken good care of me and really stepped up to deal with an issue that would have killed a big ride for me a year ago (just be sure there is a senior tech doing or supervising the work for you). Again, I've been told good things about JetWorld as well.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Default Close by...

Quote Originally Posted by satownsendsr View Post
    I lived in Chula Vista for about 2 years. Where do you live?
    El Cajon...ryde over to Chula Vista a lot via Otay Lakes road. Then on down to coronado...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

El Cajon...ryde over to Chula Vista a lot via Otay Lakes road. Then on down to coronado...[emoji106]
    Lived on Coronado for 6 months while looking for a house to buy. Couldn't believe how much real estate cost on the island. I did get to see the USS Ronald Reagan come into port for the first time from Norfolk. The captain came and spoke to us at the Rotary. He was a young man to be captain of such a big ship. After he told us about his career, I changed my mind. ☺rah!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

El Cajon...ryde over to Chula Vista a lot via Otay Lakes road. Then on down to coronado...
    Otay Mesa,,,,, brings a lot of memories

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Reputable Dealer in SOCA

Mission Motorsports is an excellent dealer and has a excellent service dept. This is where I purchased my 2013 ST from, so I have a good and positive experience with this dealer.

Dennis
    2013 ST , Black

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You haven't identified what the problem is, if there is one. Most of the time I take my bike to Pirate Powersports in Riverside. He IS the best but he does not do BRP warranty or credit card. Tell us more about yourself please. I live in Barstow and am the founder/president of Spyder Ryder of America Inland Empire Chapter (SRAIE). There is a LA chapter by the way. We can be found on Facebook. My name is Brian Zane and I can be found on FB too.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Default I purchased from Whittier Fun Center In Oct.

So far everything has gone well. Only 1500 on my F3 so far, and need to go back at 3000 miles. Only other dealer near me is Berts Mega Mall. in Covina.
    And have heard bad things about them. Thats why I chose Whittier. Hope this helps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Reputable dealers.

Thanks in advance.
    Look for a dealer with a Spyder Master Tech. If you pick a PLATINUM dealer, it does matter in the service department as we have to keep technicians up to date on all training as this is part of the PLATINUM certification. Feel free to check us out on Facebook or give us a call.

Active Member Lone Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Stay away from Temecula MotorSports.

This company's sales department will tell you anything to make a sale. Don't matter to them just sale spyders specially after the next years models come out and they are trying to get rid of there New year old spyders that did not sale.

That was my experience with them.
    When you change the way to look at things,
    the things you look at change!
    Dr.Wayne Dyer

Spyder Garage

I live in NorCal but when I was looking for a good deal and someone willing to work with me to do a long distance deal, I ended up with Fun Bike Center in San Diego. They were the only ones that had the color I needed. Their internet price was insane! Everyone was helpful. Maybe cruise by and get a feel for the place and go from there....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance.
    I did a 2-day tour up in the Northern Part of California. I found out the only place with the Platinum Certificate is Elk Grove, CA. It is the only one in the entire state of California. Platinum Certificate is when all the dealers, parts department, and service department takes a test to score over 76% to receive the Platinum Certificate. I've notice that Service Department and Part Department provide good customer service. The Dealer, on the other hand, would like to make money. They will NOT sell their can am spyder for under $20,000. But that may be just me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default OOOOPS WHERE did my money GO

Thanks in advance.
    1. Go back to the service shop and ask to have a walk about. If they say no because of insurance reasons tell them that
    you will take your $30,000.00 elsewhere.
    2. Look to see that they have a clean, well organized shop, remembering that the work on your trike will reflect what you
    see about the shop.
    3. Asked to see their credentials, especially BRPs PLC training as your trike is a running computer on wheels

Hope ALL goes well

Spyder Garage

Purchase-wise, I have had GREAT experience with AV Honda Motorsports in Lancaster, CA. (Antelope Valley area). Purchased my RS-S and F3S from Chris and Perry...great team! Their service department is top notch and they have one of the most knowledgeable Can Am techs there I have ever met (Kelly Baker). Jet World Powersports in the Castaic/Lake Hughes area is great, as well. I've used them for service. Quick turnaround on service work!
    UCLA F3S (Russ): ('16 F3S SE6 Special Series "The Batpod") - DJ PC V, K&N AF, RLS Punisher Custom Exhaust, 7Jurock 27" Windshield, Corbin Dual Tour Saddle, Shad Rack/Bags, Bajaron Swaybar, BRP Signature Light, Lamonster "Parts Suite" (LED Fog/Headlights, GPS Mount/Garmin Zumo 660LM, RIP Boards, IPS Caps, Foam Grips), Can Am 2-Up Rear Shock; ('16 RT-S SE6 "Gipsy Danger") ​- BRP Adjustable Backrest, Bajaron Swaybar, Magic Mirror Mounts, Lamonster Dual Power Plate w/Large X-Grip

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Service after the sale

50% of owning a new spyder is service after the sale. Like mentioned here before, a spyder is a computer on wheels. There are horror stories here where customers have been w/o their bikes for weeks if not months, while their bike sets at service department half torn apart awaiting parts or for someone that knows what they are doing to get the bike back on the road. Nothing is more distressing to a spyder owner than having their bike out of service for whatever reason. Almost all spyders have issues, some more than others. It's just a fact of owning a spyder. So for my two cents worth of advice, find a dealer who employees at least one, or two spyder master techs, and has had them on staff for at least a couple of years. Keeping a BRP master tech on staff can be quite pricy but it's good for business.