Spyder Garage

Default Fitted new front tires onmy 2013 ST Limited...

Having read a LOT of threads on tires, I'm offering up one more, which I hope will provide specific-enough current info on new tires for a 2013 model. The research for an alternative front tire for my 2013 ST Limited was frustrating and non-productive.
    I bought my Spyder in January with 9,000 miles on it. At 12,000 miles my Spyder's front end was shaking'/rattlin'/ & rollin' with vibrations in the handlebars and floorboards. Dealer diagnosis: tires are cupping and should be replaced (I've been running 15-17psi pressure). My search for alternative tires to the Kenda brand was met with dead ends at every turn, due primarily to the size: 165/55 R15. Since I wanted exact size replacements, Kumho, Federal, Michelin, Goodyear, Goodrich, Pirelli, & Continental were looked at. The only tire I could find was the Federal Evo 595...but no one had them in stock and had no idea when they might get them. Therefore, I reluctantly bought new Kenda's and had them mounted/balanced locally. The front end smoothed out alright, so we'll see how these hold up. It's interesting that the old tires had about 15 1/4oz weights on them and the new ones have 3 on each wheel. Hope this helps others.

On another note, I'm getting poor gas mileage (28mpg, taken over 750 miles) and have tried running in the higher rpm range as recommended in the forum, and running at more modest rpm's...it doesn't seem to matter how I run, it's 28mpg. My BMW coupe has 320hp and weighs about 3X that of the Spyder and gets 26mpg, so I'm pretty bummed on the poor gas mileage. Not enough to turn sour on the Spyder, but it sure makes for frequent fuel stops. I'm heading to the Ozarks regardless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with the search for tires.
    Besides the choice from Federal; some folks are trying the Kumho Solus, in a 155/60-15 size. It matches up VERY close to the OEM Kenda as far as overall diameter.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT and just checked my mpg last week and it was 29/gal. Went 142 miles. I did not buy this bike for it's mpg and I wish it went farther but if I want more I will get one with the 1330 engine. All I can say is I am fine with it. You have to be a little flexible on tire sizes, they do not have to be the exact size to replace the Kendas. The tires just have to fit under the fenders. I have car tires on all positions on my 2012 and they are not the stock size. I know it is a little harder to find tires for the 15" just takes some research. Good Luck.https://www.onlinetires.com/user/veh...allbrands.html
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 05-22-2015 at 08:54 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gas mileage...
    A lot of that has to do with how your right wrist plays with the "loud grip"...
    I usually got about 33 mpg with my 2010 RT... but I ride like the last guy on the Planet, that you want to see in front of you...
    Upshifts at 4800 to 5000 rpm, following speed limit regulations closer than most, babying the bike up through the gears...
    I got as low as 27 mpg on a trip to Springfield, MO . But I wasn't setting the pace!

...And the 2014 that I ride now: averaging 39.5 mpg for the first 6000 miles!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Get a laser alignment done before you destroy your new tires as crappy as they may be. This may boost your gas mileage a little as well.

Some folks get worse gas mileage than others and there are a lot of opinions on the matter. I don't think there is one magic answer to this problem. My 2013 ST Limited should be the same as yours and I am averaging 34-35 miles to the US gallon. I upshift between 5,000 and 9,000 rpm. Never cruise below 4,000. I down shift to above 5,000 to pass.

I have found some gas milage killers are. Using regular gas will drop my mileage by 5%. Running too cold, average 3 bars on the temp gage will drop 5% and 2 bars 15%. A lot of short trips with engine cool down between will drop mileage big time.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default tires

I have these on my 2014 RT with the Basic fenders ( new fenders will be an easier fit IMHO )..........Toyo T 1 r , 185 / 55 - 15 .( V- rated )...they stick like glue wet or dry and were only $ 57 each at Tire Rack.......TR no longer carries this size now, but may order them if you ask......Mike ......PS--you will have to put some washers on the fender struts or bend them ,which is what I did
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-22-2015 at 10:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Sadly.....

Gas mileage varies a lot. I will get anywhere from 25/40 but usually 30/33. These were never economical rydes and were never advertised to be so. As a recreational vehicle most are not...you are doing fairly well for an RT and may get better depends...
    On tires, as billybovine stated get the laser alignment done and check all front end parts when you do. This will keep your tires happy. I have over 27,000 miles on the Kendas that came on the spyder and have been lucky from what I see here. I do ryde agressively and still got 22,000 miles on the rear and stuck with kenda...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Get a laser alignment done before you destroy your new tires as crappy as they may be. This may boost your gas mileage a little as well.

Some folks get worse gas mileage than others and there are a lot of opinions on the matter. I don't think there is one magic answer to this problem. My 2013 ST Limited should be the same as yours and I am averaging 34-35 miles to the US gallon. I upshift between 5,000 and 9,000 rpm. Never cruise below 4,000. I down shift to above 5,000 to pass.

I have found some gas milage killers are. Using regular gas will drop my mileage by 5%. Running too cold, average 3 bars on the temp gage will drop 5% and 2 bars 15%. A lot of short trips with engine cool down between will drop mileage big time.
    Thanks...that's pretty apples-to-apples comparison, and good info shared! Having riding for over 40 years, I admit to having to force myself to stay in the higher rpm's and will try and be diligent about it and see how it affects mileage. I've also bumped up the air pressures to 20 front and 30 rear.
    Interestingly, I had a warranty replacement of the fuel overflow canister and purge valve a few weeks ago, and even tho I've been very cautious about not overfilling the tank, there's still some odor of gas while riding.
    Again, thanks for sharing your experience.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone ever found a tire other than the OEM Kenda and the Federal EVO that works well on the front?

15" tires with new style fenders. The suggested 185 width tire DOES NOT FIT the new style fenders. I need two new tires for Louise RT and at the moment the Federal EVO looks like the best option out there.

Other suggestions?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Just ordered the Federal Evo's from online tires on Saturday. My left front is severely cupped and my right front slightly cupped. My bars now have a slight vibration. I had the Alignment performed last year!

Well I just scheduled to have it done again, before I put on the new tires. I think the rear is spot on as the belt alignment has never changed. I did hit a few bad pot holes since the alignment was completed. Maybe I knocked it out??
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS