Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Are Spyders Stealthy?

Our town has one of those tow around speed limit signs. As you drive past it will show your speed. If you are above the speed limit it will light up it's little blue and whites on top. Today I was coming back into town and going past it and it was like it couldn't get a "lock" on the bike. It was like it would kinda see me then loose me. Never did register my speed and give me the lights.
    Which got me to thinking, radar bounces a signal back and the more irregular the surface, like our stealth plane technology, the smaller radar signature it gives. So does the Spyder have that and makes us somewhat invisible to the boys in blue? I know that laser is line of sight and not sure how stealthy spyders are against that. Anybody got any ideas?

Spyder Garage

Try running your Spyder past it at 85 mph and see if it catches you.

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Try running your Spyder past it at 85 mph and see if it catches you.

Actually, I was going 50 in a 35....

Spyder Garage

We have those tow around signs, and everyone I come upon registers my speed, with 1 or 2 mph of what is displayed on my spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All of them that I go by seem to register my speedometer exactly which of course is really 2 or 3 mph faster than I am really going.

Spyder Garage

I have ridden past two of those on the F3-S and I did notice that it registered the movement but it also clocked me at almost 20MPH lower than I was traveling. I remember those devices being accurate within a few MPH when I was on the RS-S.

This is all anecdotal of course.

The only good way to test would be with a LEO who has a calibrated radar gun. If it did turn out to be stealthy because of the angles... well, I'm okay with that.

Remember, the first rule of fight club is that you don't talk about fight club.
    Last edited by CanAmChris; 05-20-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

It might be the new front end shape of the F3.

My RT's consistently register 2 mph slower than what is indicated on my speedometer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Not stealth....

But I find it takes longer for it to register. If in a group it gets real messy...but also just a couple of miles off...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it depends on how much traffic there is. If there's a larger vehicle behind you it might register that instead. I've seen the signs register my speed for a very brief moment then the speed of the truck behind me. JMHO, of course.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I know that laser is line of sight and not sure how stealthy spyders are against that
    It is my understanding that lasers still have to bounce back to the transmitter to give a reading of your speed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc, more than likely it wasn't working right. These are not calibrated or taken care of since they aren't used in court. Usually they are a few miles off. I've run through a few that didn't register at all. The new guns will read a golfball, if calibrated. The first addition to my bike was radar det. Have the best in each vehicle. Pay for themselves quickly and I don't even speed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmChris View Post
    I have ridden past two of those on the F3-S and I did notice that it registered the movement but it also clocked me at almost 20MPH lower than I was traveling. I remember those devices being accurate within a few MPH when I was on the RS-S.

This is all anecdotal of course.

The only good way to test would be with a LEO who has a calibrated radar gun. If it did turn out to be stealthy because of the angles... well, I'm okay with that.

Remember, the first rule of fight club is that you don't talk about fight club.
    Hmmm...will the 'friendly' LEO be truly honest, not thinking so!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have those things permanently mounted by our schools. At one school when I go 30, it says 30. At the other school, when I go 40, it says 28.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's probably just a "setup thing"...
    Somebody didn't get the gun pointed properly...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyders are prolly invisible to radar... just go flying down the highway with no worries !!!

osm

Spyder Garage

A couple of weeks ago i had me a lil experience where i asked myself the same question...

Cruising along doing a little above the spped limit, had a full size pickup behind me (and a few others cages, not nose to tail, but about four or five of us in about 300' of road), anyway, a ghost car goes by in the other direction, a minute later i see the flashing lights in the mirrors coming up from behind, so i pull over. At this point i didn't think he was after us as we weren't excessively speeding, just going a little over the limit, so as i am pulling over, the full size pickup (oblivious to the cop coming up from behind) blows by me as i am pointing to the rear indicating the presence of the cop, and he starts to pull over a couple hundred feet in front of me... cop goes by me and pulls in behind the pickup! So I happily pull back out onto the road and drive right on by smiling the whole time.

Don't know if we are "Stealthy", but hey...

Spyder Garage

Similar thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. I'm driving "in the lead" between 5-10 mph over the limit on the F3. My husband following on his Vstar, and a truck following a bit too closely behind him. Came upon a speed trap and figured I was busted, but instead the truck behind us both was the one who got pulled over. Could be for following too closely....
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    Could be for following too closely....
    That's what i figured at first too... but who knows?

Spyder Garage

As a former officer........

I am not sure how accurate the trailer radar unit are or how often they calibrate them.

I can tell you that even the older radar guns we used back in the 70-80's would pick up airplanes, bicycles, even things as small as a skateboard. The newer units are of course much better. So I would not risk my check book on it
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Actually, I was going 50 in a 35....
    Actually you were closer to 47, not 50. The speedos are "off"
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

..Unless he changed the rear tire out, for a 215/60-15 sized-one.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    Spyders are prolly invisible to radar... just go flying down the highway with no worries !!!

osm
    That's pretty much what I've been doing actually. Got lights flashed by a state trooper for 85 in a 60 on a rural farm to market road, slowed down to 55 and waited for him to pull me over but he let me go on my way and never turned around. On highways I'm good for an extra 15-20 and not getting zapped / pulled over. (knock on wood)

Tonight while headed to dinner I think I hit 95 while heading down the tollroad. A friend with the Mustang 5.0 and a LOT of ECM couldn't keep up, and he specifically mentioned we passed at least 9 active laser / radar stations.

And yes I have topped it out multiple times at 111 mph in straightaways by myself on clear roads (never in traffic) [North Dallas Tollway is basically unguarded for a 3 mile stretch above El Dorado to Hwy 380]

Am I being a bit SQUIDly on my new toy?? Yeah a bit. I take full responsibility and only get crazy fast when I am by myself. I expect I'll settle down in a few months or as soon as I get a ticket.

I'm riding a 2014 RT-S and put 2800 miles on it so far. Honestly I think there is something about these things that is throwing police off.
    Last edited by Centurion.TX; 05-23-2015 at 12:40 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion.TX View Post
    That's pretty much what I've been doing actually. Got lights flashed by a state trooper for 85 in a 60 on a rural farm to market road, slowed down to 55 and waited for him to pull me over but he let me go on my way and never turned around. On highways I'm good for an extra 15-20 and not getting zapped / pulled over. (knock on wood)

Tonight while headed to dinner I think I hit 95 while heading down the tollroad. A friend with the Mustang 5.0 and a LOT of ECM couldn't keep up, and he specifically mentioned we passed at least 9 active laser / radar stations.

And yes I have topped it out multiple times at 111 mph in straightaways by myself on clear roads (never in traffic) [North Dallas Tollway is basically unguarded for a 3 mile stretch above El Dorado to Hwy 380]

Am I being a bit SQUIDly on my new toy?? Yeah a bit. I take full responsibility and only get crazy fast when I am by myself. I expect I'll settle down in a few months or as soon as I get a ticket.

I'm riding a 2014 RT-S and put 2800 miles on it so far. Honestly I think there is something about these things that is throwing police off.
    I would not assume for a minute that modern radar/laser will not pick up a Spyder. Like I said above, the old units we used in the 70-80's would pick up a skateboard.

You need to know your State Laws too and some jurisdictions are going to be more proactive on speeding tickets and others not. I go about 5 over and that keeps me out of trouble...or get behind someone going fast as they will get caught first. In Oregon if you are caught going 100+; it is an arrest not a citation and they can seize and keep the vehicle.

Why are some officers ignoring and not pulling us over ?; maybe they got a call they had to go to.......or maybe they figure, ah...some old fart on a trike...he probably is too old to see his speedometer, too deaf to hear my siren and will be too dead before he can appear in court..........ah hell....let him go......
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

I was told by a cop years ago that -- generally speaking (note that conditional wording) -- they don't see the operators of high-end touring bikes, like full-dress Harleys, BMW RTs, and Gold Wings as a problem, since these are expensive, thus most likely operated by older, experienced riders who can better handle things at speed. What they'll go after in a heartbeat are the kids on their crotch rockets, and they seem to be more numerous and hence more profitable.

Another survival hint: if a cop flashes at you, you'd better acknowledge his signal and slow down (i.e., "respect my authoriteh!'). If you slow down, he's made his point, and that's likely the end of it. If you don't slow down, he figures you've blown him off, and then you're fair game. Don't poke the bear -- slow down.

I always wave to cops, real friendly-like. You've acknowledged their presence, and are perhaps less of a jerk.

Spyder Garage

Every one I go by seems to work. I like to heckle our local contracted deputy by telling him I can never make it show a third digit....LOL...
    2016 RTS , Pearl White