Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default My first long ride

Well I did it. I did my first long ride. Started here in Kansas. Drove through Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland. 2991 Miles total on my 2014 Spyder RTS. Left on a Monday morning and returned the following Monday around noon. I learned a lot about my spyder, myself, and trips on a cycle. I would do it again!!

Since this is a Spyder forum I will share what I learned about it first. I learned it does close to perfect on highway speeds for long periods of time. Felt great. Handled great. I do think i want to get some highway pegs. Even going through the mountains I would set the cruise and it stuck right to it. The engine breaking was amazing. Never had to touch the breaks on the declines. I have an Ultimate seat and my bottom was well taken care of for the whole trip. No issues. I don't know about gas milage. I didn't buy it for gas milage and I don't check it. Only thing that needed done on my return was give the Spyder a much needed bath. 3000 miles of rain and road and it was pretty dirty. She cleaned up nicely.

I learned that I love 5 hour energy drinks. They help me to stay sharp. I did 400 - 800 miles every day I rode. Other then some rain the weather wasn't to bad. Never got to hot or to cold. I think that helped me on those longer days. I usually stopped for gas and to stretch some at around 130 miles. My breaks were pretty short. I learned I am not the type who wants to stop and smell the roses on these types of rides. I like to put in the miles and would probably prefer to ride with like minded riders. I tried some more curvy slower paced roads once and the trip and I didn't care for it. I kept thinking that I could be making much better time on different roads. So I adjusted the GPS and within a half hour it had me doing 70 again. I don't mind driving 45-55 but just not on a long trip.

As far as riding on a trip like this I packed to much. Didn't need half the cloths I packed. Next time I will go much lighter. Good rain gear and a good helmet are worth the money. Spend a little extra because it will pay off. I did and I am glad I did. I will try and post some photos soon. Seen some beautiful country. I had never been out that way before and I have been missing out. The Appellation Mountains are beautiful.

I have been home for a little over 30 hours and I am already thinking how I am going to get back on the road again.

Scott

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome!

Glad everything went well. I have yet to go for more than 2 hrs without stopping. At 6'1" and ryding a GS without highway pegs, it's a must. Thanks for sharing your ryde experience. ..
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Hey ! That sounds like MY 1st long ride on my Spyder. Went from here to Gettysburg PA for Memorial Day 2014.
    Did "the slab" eastward, and the 2 lanes coming home.
    I agree , the RT will gobble up the freeway miles, but had more fun riding the side roads.
    I'm going to make the effort to get "out somewhere" again this year, but I do a lot of day rides around KS too. So maybe we'll meet someday. Stay safe.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

glad you had a great ryde. Each one is a learning experience. so what you learned this time will be your starting point for the next ryde..enjoy
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sounds like an excellent time happy to hear you had no troubles and the weather treated you well.
    Bryan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scott, you are my kind of rider. You are welcome to ride with CPTJAM and I anytime. We leave tomorrow for TX and there won't be any rose smelling going on!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default LIKE MY RIDES

Sounds like we like to ride the same way. I really enjoy just getting on and riding. Going 800-900 in a day is a good day for me. The last three years I have gone to Spyderfest and only took two days to get there. A little longer coming home but usually I take a longer route. Like this year total trip was 4000 miles. Have fun riding, keep the shiny side up

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ronrico View Post
    Sounds like we like to ride the same way. I really enjoy just getting on and riding. Going 800-900 in a day is a good day for me. The last three years I have gone to Spyderfest and only took two days to get there. A little longer coming home but usually I take a longer route. Like this year total trip was 4000 miles. Have fun riding, keep the shiny side up
    Jeff, you can ride with us too but you're always at work!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scottnkansas View Post
    Well I did it. I did my first long ride. Started here in Kansas. Drove through Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland. 2991 Miles total on my 2014 Spyder RTS. Left on a Monday morning and returned the following Monday around noon. I learned a lot about my spyder, myself, and trips on a cycle. I would do it again!!

Since this is a Spyder forum I will share what I learned about it first. I learned it does close to perfect on highway speeds for long periods of time. Felt great. Handled great. I do think i want to get some highway pegs. Even going through the mountains I would set the cruise and it stuck right to it. The engine breaking was amazing. Never had to touch the breaks on the declines. I have an Ultimate seat and my bottom was well taken care of for the whole trip. No issues. I don't know about gas milage. I didn't buy it for gas milage and I don't check it. Only thing that needed done on my return was give the Spyder a much needed bath. 3000 miles of rain and road and it was pretty dirty. She cleaned up nicely.

I learned that I love 5 hour energy drinks. They help me to stay sharp. I did 400 - 800 miles every day I rode. Other then some rain the weather wasn't to bad. Never got to hot or to cold. I think that helped me on those longer days. I usually stopped for gas and to stretch some at around 130 miles. My breaks were pretty short. I learned I am not the type who wants to stop and smell the roses on these types of rides. I like to put in the miles and would probably prefer to ride with like minded riders. I tried some more curvy slower paced roads once and the trip and I didn't care for it. I kept thinking that I could be making much better time on different roads. So I adjusted the GPS and within a half hour it had me doing 70 again. I don't mind driving 45-55 but just not on a long trip.

As far as riding on a trip like this I packed to much. Didn't need half the cloths I packed. Next time I will go much lighter. Good rain gear and a good helmet are worth the money. Spend a little extra because it will pay off. I did and I am glad I did. I will try and post some photos soon. Seen some beautiful country. I had never been out that way before and I have been missing out. The Appellation Mountains are beautiful.

I have been home for a little over 30 hours and I am already thinking how I am going to get back on the road again.

Scott
    I am preparing for my first long ryde on the spyder and would love to hear more about your experience.
    2014 Spyder RS SM5
    RAM 5.7 HEMI 8 speed 4x4 crew cab

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    Sounds like an excellent time happy to hear you had no troubles and the weather treated you well.
    Thanks. I can't wait till I can do another one.

Scott

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    Hey ! That sounds like MY 1st long ride on my Spyder. Went from here to Gettysburg PA for Memorial Day 2014.
    Did "the slab" eastward, and the 2 lanes coming home.
    I agree , the RT will gobble up the freeway miles, but had more fun riding the side roads.
    I'm going to make the effort to get "out somewhere" again this year, but I do a lot of day rides around KS too. So maybe we'll meet someday. Stay safe.
    We should meet up for a day ride or something. I was in the Navy also.

Scott

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwood4242 View Post
    I am preparing for my first long ryde on the spyder and would love to hear more about your experience.
    What kind of info are you wanting? I'll answer any questions I can. And I am sure there are other posts on the subject of long rides.

Scott

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's impressive. I like to think I'm a stop and smell the flowers, but my wife would tell you I'm not. Once on the road, stay on the road.

I save the scenic rides within 4 hours of the house.

I'm a Navy vet also.

Thanks for sharing the post. Enjoyed it!

Spyder Garage

Default Long ride

I like the long rides, but we like to stop and check out all the things this great country has to offer, and one never knows when their going to get to see it again, We enjoy stoping and visisting with the locals or meeting new riders at the camp sites. I like to keep it about 400 miles a day as it's no longer about the destanation but more about the journey. we have a 1200 mile ride coming up this long weekend and am looking foeward to running up North on 395 through California and Oregon, some great country. These RT's are great for this type of riding.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Most have a bit of fear and apprehension in anticipation of that first long ride. Once its done, you are looking for more of the same.

Over packing is the nemesis of many a traveler. All of us have done it, and some will continue to do it.

Please share some pictures of your ride. You went through some of the "good stuff" for sure.

Thank you for posting about your adventure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you've got the touring bug! I have not been a long-distance/day ryder, but hope to build up my average miles/day on my way to Alaska this summer. I think the key for me will be getting a good night's sleep. Do those 5-hour energy drinks affect your sleep at night?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default my first long ride

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Sounds like you've got the touring bug! I have not been a long-distance/day ryder, but hope to build up my average miles/day on my way to Alaska this summer. I think the key for me will be getting a good night's sleep. Do those 5-hour energy drinks affect your sleep at night?
    I dont know about anyone else PrairieSprder but I tried thoes 5hr energy drinks and you can have them. I felt like I was wound up tighter than a gituar string and was about to bust. Thanks but no thanks. If I need that type of stuff to keep on riding I need to go fide a place to take a little nap. I'm with you , just give me a good nights sleep and I can go all day.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What kind of info are you wanting? I'll answer any questions I can. And I am sure there are other posts on the subject of long rides.

Scott
    Thank you. I did find an abundant amount of advice on the Spyderlovers forum.
    2014 Spyder RS SM5
    RAM 5.7 HEMI 8 speed 4x4 crew cab

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I am jealous of you for being able to do this ride. It is going to be epic!

Scott

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am jealous of you for being able to do this ride. It is going to be epic!

Scott
    I am so stoked about it!!

I'll have to think of some follow-up for next year . . . or just rest and recover!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default what essential gear

What would you consider essential gear for long rides?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrip View Post
    What would you consider essential gear for long rides?
    Rain gear, depending on the weather cold gear. If you're riding two up, make sure your passenger knows how to ride a Spyder competently. Three days worth of clothes, baggie full of quarters for laundromats, overnight kit, good small tool kit, zip ties, credit card, BRP phone no. and your VIN in the phone, twice the days of meds you will need and a sense of adventure.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.