Spyder Garage

Default Anything wrong with putting a trailer hitch on an RS-S?

Hi all,

As I understand, the older RT had the same drivetrain as the RS and the same swing arm. So did/does the ST if I am not mistaken. Both the RT and ST seem to have hitches available for them. What about the RS/RSS? I'd love to get a tow hitch on mine and there seem to be different ones for different years, not sure if the difference is in the wiring or what. Advice would be appreciated.

Mine is a 2010 RS-S with a semiauto.

Thanks!

Julia
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRAILER HITCH

......Hi Julia, I had a 2011 RSS with the Semi-auto and they were the same. The BRP hitch will work fine with no issues.....I do recommend a lightweight aluminum trailer as opposed to any BRP trailer. They weigh about 100 lbs less so they are easier and more economical to tow. If you get an after-market Hitch that's not a problem either, jus get one that is a BOLT-THRU type similar to BRP's design.....and as far as the wiring goes a simple 5 to 4 convertor will connect to almost all after-market trailers...................PS, I have built both Hitches and trailers with success................Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike. I found a used BRP hitch for a decent price, and I do hope to find a lighter trailer. Would I have to cut into the Spyder's wiring to wire up the pigtail for the lights? Or is there a plug-in harness?
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

Default PLUG N PLAY

Quote Originally Posted by griffontamer View Post
    Thanks Mike. I found a used BRP hitch for a decent price, and I do hope to find a lighter trailer. Would I have to cut into the Spyder's wiring to wire up the pigtail for the lights? Or is there a plug-in harness?
    .....I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT . When I did mine ( on a GS ) it wasn't commonly being done. So I just identified the wires and used the 5 to 4 convertor ( auto parts store item ) and "T" taps......After you drop the panel over the rear tire all the wires you will use (tap onto ) are right there......You are lucky you aren't trying this on a current style RT, the electrics involved will drive you nuts..................PS this convertor is what people buy when they get a trailer and want to tow it with their car..( if their car isn't factory equipped with a module ).....they pull back the cover in the trunk and TAP into the wires that run across the back from side to side. Sorry but I don't remember the colors......someone here probably does...............Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-07-2016 at 11:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Any problems with nanny on anything before 2013? Was there a "trailer mode" setting ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer mode

I towed with my 09 RS, no trailer mode. My 13ST has t-mode. The difference is that it forces higher revs when changing gears up, and changes down at higher revs too. Interestingly t-mode rev-changing is how I ride anyway. So just keep your revs a bit higher and you'll be fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    I towed with my 09 RS, no trailer mode. My 13ST has t-mode. The difference is that it forces higher revs when changing gears up, and changes down at higher revs too. Interestingly t-mode rev-changing is how I ride anyway. So just keep your revs a bit higher and you'll be fine.
    Hope to find out when i get my trailer just in time for spyderfest

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talk to Yazz about this.
    She towed a trailer to Alaska with her RS...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I used a powered 5 to 4 converter on my GS, it isolates the Spyder wiring from the trailer wiring, so there's no nanny problems.

john

Spyder Garage

There should be no problem towing a trailer with a RS-S. The BRP trailer hitch will fit without a problem. The wiring harness that comes with the BRP hitch will not fit.

I would consider getting the Show Chrome hitch. It's cheaper and available from some of the sponsoring vendors on the home page. IMHO it's of good quality.

As far as I know no one makes the trailer wiring harness for the RS. So would have to be a custom job.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Works Great

I added the non-factory hitch to my RS and it works fine however if I had to do it over again I think I would spend the extra money for the factory hitch. I also used the non-factory light kit, I don't remember if the factory kit would be plug and play with the RS.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RS-S and have had the trailer hitch since I got the Spyder home no problems and I have over 50,000 miles. I have a Harbor Freight trailer.
    Last edited by jtpollock; 02-08-2016 at 12:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default no problem on my 14 RS-S

Big bike parts hitch. Goldwing relay isolator. Running 5 wire.
    Trailer is Bunkhouse Little B. About 260 lbs loaded.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies. I'll go ahead and get the hitch and wait for a good deal on a trailer to come along. Would love to get one of those motorcycle pop-up tent trailers! With my back and hip the way they are nowadays, I can't set up a regular tent very well so those sound like a great option. Just not a cheap one!
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

Default hitch

the bike should be fine i have towed my trailer several thousand miles
    the issue i see with the F3 there is no hitch unless you put a different swing-arm like the new ones have
    or talk to lamonster what hes using

Spyder Garage

Default TRAILER HITCH

Quote Originally Posted by Tx web rider View Post
    the bike should be fine i have towed my trailer several thousand miles
    the issue i see with the F3 there is no hitch unless you put a different swing-arm like the new ones have
    or talk to lamonster what hes using
    ....Julie is using her RSS not the F-3...................and for the F-3 .....the two after market Hitches for the standard swingarm F-3 will work fine........Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Pakit Rak- another option to a trailer---- depending on your space needs

Quote Originally Posted by griffontamer View Post
    Hi all,

As I understand, the older RT had the same drivetrain as the RS and the same swing arm. So did/does the ST if I am not mistaken. Both the RT and ST seem to have hitches available for them. What about the RS/RSS? I'd love to get a tow hitch on mine and there seem to be different ones for different years, not sure if the difference is in the wiring or what. Advice would be appreciated.

Mine is a 2010 RS-S with a semiauto.

Thanks!

Julia
    I do not know how much space you are looking for. I have a RT, so I had more space than the RS to begin with. This rack measures 21"wide 12"high and 11" deep hooks on to the regular Spyder receiver, has a water proof cover and a locking system so the Carrying bag can not be easily removed without the key. The cost is a lot cheaper than a trailer and you do not need to wire anything up because it rides lower than the stop and turn signals on the spyder. I have been very happy with mine. I have carried up too 38- 40 lbs and it handled it with no problems for the rack or handling of the spyder,you do not even know it is there. www.pakitrak.com Ph. # 707-678-2375 ext. 109 Cast Last year was $420.00 much cheaper than a trailer if it has enough room for your needs. If you plan on carrying fragile items wrap them well due to fact there is no suspension on the receiver.

Spyder Garage

I am mainly looking to tow a tent trailer, not so much for cargo but for sleeping. Back and hip issues make regular camping/tents difficult so if I can find a good deal on a small fold-out tent trailer, that will be great .
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check out Kompact Kamp...
    For the money: they look pretty sweet!

http://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-09-2016 at 08:12 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default wire harness

I just bought a '15 RT-S and put on BRP's hitch and harness. Dealer says they changed to a standard 4 wire connection that will work on any trailer's flat 4 connection. However I plan to pull a teardrop camper I am building. and expect it to push the 400# weight limit by 40 to 60 lbs. So to compensate I am incorporating 7" electric brake hubs into the trailer build. My BIG question to all here is, "Has anyone ever wired their Spyder with an electric brake controller for their trailer they pull?" this is the unit I was going to use, https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...s/HM47297.html

Spyder Garage

Default TEARDROP TRAILER

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    I just bought a '15 RT-S and put on BRP's hitch and harness. Dealer says they changed to a standard 4 wire connection that will work on any trailer's flat 4 connection. However I plan to pull a teardrop camper I am building. and expect it to push the 400# weight limit by 40 to 60 lbs. So to compensate I am incorporating 7" electric brake hubs into the trailer build. My BIG question to all here is, "Has anyone ever wired their Spyder with an electric brake controller for their trailer they pull?" this is the unit I was going to use, https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...s/HM47297.html
    ....I have given some thought to a similar trailer....Have you ever heard of " Cor-Plas "....Google it...It comes in different thicknesses ....4 X 8 sheets....and depending on which type you buy can be bent lengthwise or width wise......It is strong enough to be used for building ENTIRE green houses...walls , roof etc.....If you do a complete aluminum frame you might get this down around the 250 lb range ( cor-plas is super light ).......Remember if your trailer weighs approx. 350 lbs. you can only safely put 50 lbs more in it !!!!......PM me if you have any questions.... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default MotoCampers

Motocampers is an active forum for motorcycles pulling trailers. There are some used campers for sale there now.

http://www.motocampers.com/
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller