Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Angry F3s tires! JUNK!

On a first road trip with my new F3s.. F3s vibrates bad over 55 mph. Think I found part of the problem besides the usual belt vibration. DAMN Kenda tires! 18, count emmm, 18 balance weights on the rear tire!!! Come on CanAm, surely you can do better than this on a new $28000 machine!!Really pissed! First stop is dealer.when I get home, if the tire doesn't fly apart first!20150517_222202.jpg
    Last edited by Guzzi; 05-17-2015 at 09:43 PM.
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe not the tires

There is a "triple" vibration from the engine (try search). Happens at around 4000 rpm and you need to go thru it with gear changes.

Happens at 58 in 5 gear (SM6), and 68 in 6th gear for me. Try moving up or down and this should be eliminated.

Hopefully, a better belt aftermarket adjuster will be available.

Spyder Garage

I worked in the wheelroom of a GM plant and was the electrician that calibrated all of the equipment. We balanced over 1/2 million tires a year. If a tire required more than 2oz of weight to balance it was pulled and the rim and tire were evaluated to determine what caused the imbalance. That is what ISO is about I guess BRP doesn't care how much weight it uses on a tire. Using stick on weights they should be applied towards the lip of each side of the rim. Every tire we did was flipped so weights were applied correctly on each side of the rim then audited on a static balance that would reject a tire that was .25 oz off and laser marked where any additional corrective weight should go. That is how tire in a factory that cares about quality are done. Looking at that tire it looks to me to be `3.5 oz or more and all in one plane. Either tire or rim or both is out of tolerance. One thing to do is un mount and turn tire 180 degrees. Some times tire and rim imbalances end up in the same spot and amplify the weights. Doing that sometime made the tire comply with the max weight limits. Tell your dealer to try that ( pull all the weights off first) and spin balance it.
    Last edited by Magdave; 05-17-2015 at 10:37 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire

New GMC 2015 3/4 ton duramax. A lot vibration . The dealer has to replace two tires , No manufacture are perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I worked in the wheelroom of a GM plant and was the electrician that calibrated all of the equipment. We balanced over 1/2 million tires a year. If a tire required more than 2oz of weight to balance it was pulled and the rim and tire were evaluated to determine what caused the imbalance. That is what ISO is about I guess BRP doesn't care how much weight it uses on a tire. Using stick on weights they should be applied towards the lip of each side of the rim. Every tire we did was flipped so weights were applied correctly on each side of the rim then audited on a static balance that would reject a tire that was .25 oz off and laser marked where any additional corrective weight should go. That is how tire in a factory that cares about quality are done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronsam View Post
    New GMC 2015 3/4 ton duramax. A lot vibration . The dealer has to replace two tires , No manufacture are perfect
    And not all wheelrooms adhere to standards. It is hard to get rid of some of the weakest links which are human and they are the guys who apply the weights. Each side of the tire gets a mark from the electronic balancer that must be calibrated every shift. Some people do not know how to do that correctly either. The weight is sent to a display in sequence to the upper and lower weight pounder. They can make more than a wrong weight mistake they can cause an out of sequence data stream if pulling a tire the wrong way. It is a very technical operation that everyone must get right to work correctly. Especially when you are cranking out 400 tires an hour. The Truck plants never get near that number maybe 1-2 hundred per hr max.

Bottom line the OP's tire has entirely too much weight on it PERIOD.
    Last edited by Magdave; 05-18-2015 at 09:21 AM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I would say that 18 weights to make a tire balanced is a bit on the far out side.

That tire should have been thrown in the trash and not shipped out to customers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS ISSUE

I agree with Magdave ()........If your dealer can spin balance , request they do the wheel alone separately without the tire, to find out if it's the wheel. Because if it is, re-placement is about $550 and you definitely want that done under WARRANTY.........IMHO........Mike

Spyder Garage

On the rear tire and wheel you also have the rear sprocket
    I do not believe anyone can spin balance with sprocket on the wheel [someone correct me if I am wrong]
    The sprocket will affect the balance
    I used Ride on in all my wheels the last time I changed them and it has made a big difference in the ride
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    I do not believe anyone can spin balance with sprocket on the wheel [someone correct me if I am wrong]
    I used Ride on in all my wheels the last time I changed them and it has made a big difference in the ride
    What he said.. On my 13 RT I went with a Kumo rear n Federal 15" Evo fronts.. I took ALL the weights off n put Ride-on in all the tires!!! It was a home run!!!! I will likely be using the same rear tire that BAM is using on his F3 / should have better traction... I have the name saved in my notes / can't recall it now... I'm gonna msg him n ask him about WET weather traction..

Spyder Garage

I may try this on my RS-S. On Goldwings some remove the weights and put 3 oz. Biodegradable antifreeze in. This works well and tyre wear is very even and no cupping.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

If the sprocket is removed they can be spun balanced. It is not hard to do and a good excuse to check the bearings.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I worked in the wheelroom of a GM plant and was the electrician that calibrated all of the equipment. We balanced over 1/2 million tires a year. If a tire required more than 2oz of weight to balance it was pulled and the rim and tire were evaluated to determine what caused the imbalance. That is what ISO is about I guess BRP doesn't care how much weight it uses on a tire. Using stick on weights they should be applied towards the lip of each side of the rim. Every tire we did was flipped so weights were applied correctly on each side of the rim then audited on a static balance that would reject a tire that was .25 oz off and laser marked where any additional corrective weight should go. That is how tire in a factory that cares about quality are done. Looking at that tire it looks to me to be `3.5 oz or more and all in one plane. Either tire or rim or both is out of tolerance. One thing to do is un mount and turn tire 180 degrees. Some times tire and rim imbalances end up in the same spot and amplify the weights. Doing that sometime made the tire comply with the max weight limits. Tell your dealer to try that ( pull all the weights off first) and spin balance it.
    The 180 turn can be done but you are better off having it checked & balanced with a road force machine to find out what is
    wrong & reduce the weight needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    The 180 turn can be done but you are better off having it checked & balanced with a road force machine to find out what is
    wrong & reduce the weight needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    What he said.. On my 13 RT I went with a Kumo rear n Federal 15" Evo fronts.. I took ALL the weights off n put Ride-on in all the tires!!! It was a home run!!!! I will likely be using the same rear tire that BAM is using on his F3 / should have better traction... I have the name saved in my notes / can't recall it now... I'm gonna msg him n ask him about WET weather traction..
    I have also removed all wheel weights and added Ride On to the tires for self balancing in the past.. The first day was rough but the long term results were fantastic
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
    On a first road trip with my new F3s.. F3s vibrates bad over 55 mph. Think I found part of the problem besides the usual belt vibration. DAMN Kenda tires! 18, count emmm, 18 balance weights on the rear tire!!! Come on CanAm, surely you can do better than this on a new $28000 machine!!Really pissed! First stop is dealer.when I get home, if the tire doesn't fly apart first!
    So you feel justified condeming all Kenda tires on the basis of one bad one?? (And it's very possibly a wheel problem anyway) Michelin PSS is likely the best auto tire made and I had a bad one once.......
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

If the sprocket is removed they can be spun balanced. It is not hard to do and a good excuse to check the bearings.
    Yes they can but when you put the sprocket back on the rim is no longer balanced
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I have also removed all wheel weights and added Ride On to the tires for self balancing in the past.. The first day was rough but the long term results were fantastic
    I'm considering adding RideOn to my tires. What did you mean when you said that the first day was rough? Did you start with the weights, and remove them later, or what?
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Yes they can but when you put the sprocket back on the rim is no longer balanced
    I will have to ask some of the engineers at work about that. I do believe that the weight of the sprocket is supported by the swing arm, but I might be wrong.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmChris View Post
    I will have to ask some of the engineers at work about that. I do believe that the weight of the sprocket is supported by the swing arm, but I might be wrong.
    I have had mine apart and the sprocket is supported by the axle along with the rim and it is all torqued together
    It is spinning with the rim and will change the balance
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

I believe I would take all of those weights off and see what happens. Couldn't get any worse could it?
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
    On a first road trip with my new F3s.. F3s vibrates bad over 55 mph. Think I found part of the problem besides the usual belt vibration. DAMN Kenda tires! 18, count emmm, 18 balance weights on the rear tire!!! Come on CanAm, surely you can do better than this on a new $28000 machine!!Really pissed! First stop is dealer.when I get home, if the tire doesn't fly apart first!
    Only have 13! Let's all take a count..

Spyder Garage

I have had mine apart and the sprocket is supported by the axle along with the rim and it is all torqued together It is spinning with the rim and will change the balance
    Like I said, I will ask the guys who know the mathematics. I am just the IT guy. One good thing about math is that it never lies. I'll let you know what they say.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR TIRE BALANCING

Neither of my last two rear tires were balanced at all......( no Kenda tires either ).....so far I haven't noticed any difference. I'm not so naïve to think both of those rear tires ( one Michelin and one General ) were perfectly balanced themselves.......Could it be they don't have to be balanced because they are on an axel that is supported / secured at both ends as opposed to the fronts which also involve steering sloppiness .......Any thoughts ? ? ?....Mike

Spyder Garage

http://innovativebalancing.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

In simple terms, if it rotates, then balance can be a factor.

The rear pulley operates at the same RPM as the rear wheel. The imbalance frequency is the same. The rear pulley should be considered light and the mass is closer to the center. This allows any imbalance to have less effect.

Real world may indicate to balance the pulley while on the wheel, but to be practical, it would be best to balance the pulley separately which will allow it to be installed in any position at a later date.

In regards to comparing front wheels supported on a hub to a rear wheel supported on a thru axle. The front can feel two imbalance forces. The inertia of hop and the inertia of wobble. The rear will normally only feel hop. However both should be balanced to a close tolerance.

For some crazy tool collecting reason, years ago I bought a used Snap On dynamic balancer. The small one that you spin by hand. I have not yet balanced the rear tire and have no plans to until it is replaced. We did have a left front that was vibrating the fender and could be felt. Balanced both fronts on my machine. Placed the weights along the edges, not down the center. Problem solved. Pretty certain it was off 1 oz.

Let the dealer or someone properly attempt to achieve a good balance. If it doesn't dial in with a few weights, then swap a tire or wheel.

Kenda does take flak about the tires, but BRP should take the flak about poor balancing.

PK