Spyder Garage

Default Alternator output 2010 RT to tax 990 vs new 1330 ace RT

I have a 2010 RTS and was thinking of putting an amp or powered subwoofer in my rt. I have read but can't remember where that the newer bikes beefed up the alternator.

My questions are 1) how much output do the 2010 put
    Out?
    2) how big an amp ( suggestions) can I
    use

I am just trying to supplement the base on the jbl 528 and 428's. I upgraded too. If anyone has tried is the sound better if the sub is in the frunk or trunk on the RT.
    - any thoughts of using a powered sub instead of amping the whole system.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Here is a test I did on our 2014 RT.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...lternator-Test
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

But the magneto system delivers 650 watts where the new alternator delivers 1,200 watts. Don't know much about the woofs and tweets you are looking for...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by TroyboyRn View Post
    I have a 2010 RTS and was thinking of putting an amp or powered subwoofer in my rt. I have read but can't remember where that the newer bikes beefed up the alternator.

My questions are 1) how much output do the 2010 put
    Out?
    2) how big an amp ( suggestions) can I
    use

I am just trying to supplement the base on the jbl 528 and 428's. I upgraded too. If anyone has tried is the sound better if the sub is in the frunk or trunk on the RT.
    - any thoughts of using a powered sub instead of amping the whole system.

Thanks

IMHO....#1...you may blow those speakers if you go to high in POWER........and # 2 even if they could take say 250 watts ...you are trying to get UNREALISTIC BASE from 5 1/4 and 4 1/4 inch speakers......that only cost $100 total........People here have been trying to assist you with your QUEST.....However I think you need to realize something ......low cost and exceptional sound do not belong in the same sentence......Also I don't care if you $10,000 on your system, it is NEVER going to sound like what is in your LIVING ROOM. This is on a MOTORCYCLE, in the open air, in traffic, in the wind etc..........OR put in a system like Bluestratos did.....but ask Him how much He spent......I am guessing upwards of $700 TOTAL.........Good Luck.......Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It kind of bothers me when I have to hear other peoples music blaring, even from their cars. It's supposed to be a personal thing. That is why I use bluetooth headsets, don't share your music and I won't share mine.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If loud pipes save lives; loud music keeps people from walking over to me, and complaining...
    The magneto needs to be spun quite a bit faster, to get the full 650 watts our of it. The 1200 watt alternator easily exceeds the abilities of the older system...
    But if you just replace your speakers with higher quality ones; you won't need to pump more sound through them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. I do have a very high quality set up in my helmet that I wear on long trips. I wear my half helmet most of the time tooling around town. I'm am totally aware I will never have symphony sound nor do I want it. I am just looking for a setup that allows decent base without distortion at reasonable sound levels. I'm not looking to rattle windows just feel abit of the music to complete a lovely summers ride

Spyder Garage

The magneto on the early Can-Am Spyders were 400 watts Total at 12V that is 33.333 amps total for the system. I suggest using huge caps at the power input to keep from flat topping when drawing those momentary peak currents. Oh the Spyder has never had a "frunk" it's a trunk check your manual. The term "frunk" was originated by an idiot who though he was "cool".

Spyder Garage

PM sent.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CLH View Post
    Oh the Spyder has never had a "frunk" it's a trunk check your manual. The term "frunk" was originated by an idiot who though he was "cool".
    For the 2014 RT at least, it's referred to as a "front trunk" only twice, in the service manual parts list. All other references are to "front storage compartment." Frunk must have been coined by the same "keep it short" idiot who thought "coronavirus disease 2019" was too much of a mouthful so he shortened it to Covid-19.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)