Spyder Garage

Default Improvements to my '14 RT

Set of shock spacers I made from 3" tailpipe and rubber spacers
    Flaps added to stop water spray while riding in rain
    Both work very well and took time but not much money!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Default 14 Rt

I like the front splash guards, very nice.
    Arf

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

looks like this will help when ryding in the wet... the fronts look like they have been tested...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default splash guards

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    looks like this will help when ryding in the wet... the fronts look like they have been tested...
    Thank you and yes they have been tested - twice!!
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your creative ingenuity...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR MODS

You know I'm all for DIY, 99 % of everything on 2014 RT is DIY.......But on your shocks ????.....When you lose spring length ( by any means ), you are losing compliance ......ie you have less spring .............granted it will be stiffer but IMHO it will also deliver a Harsher ride.......But innovation comes at a cost.....I say try it.............I changed the angle of my shocks 16 degree's, kept the same ride height and achieved approx. 18 % firmer ride. This works for me. It was complicated, time consuming, frustrating but I'm also Happy with the results...........Nice going and ....Mike ......................PS I did make copies of the BRACKET TEMPLATES !!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default '14 Mods

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You know I'm all for DIY, 99 % of everything on 2014 RT is DIY.......But on your shocks ????.....When you lose spring length ( by any means ), you are losing compliance ......ie you have less spring .............granted it will be stiffer but IMHO it will also deliver a Harsher ride.......But innovation comes at a cost.....I say try it.............I changed the angle of my shocks 16 degree's, kept the same ride height and achieved approx. 18 % firmer ride. This works for me. It was complicated, time consuming, frustrating but I'm also Happy with the results...........Nice going and ....Mike ......................PS I did make copies of the BRACKET TEMPLATES !!!!!!
    Thanks for the comments.
    Please don't tell Bajaron .His are much nicer looking and I probably would have bought his but I had mine before his were on the market. Also on shocks with adjustments - don't you shorten the spring for a stiffer ride?
    Tip
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default STIFFER RIDE

Quote Originally Posted by tip View Post
    Thanks for the comments.
    Please don't tell Bajaron .His are much nicer looking and I probably would have bought his but I had mine before his were on the market. Also on shocks with adjustments - don't you shorten the spring for a stiffer ride?
    Tip
    Yes , if you shorten the spring you will definitely get a STIFFER ride..........I did not want that, I wanted a FIRMER ride so I changed the ANGLE. This may seem like semantics but it isn't........Back in 2013 BRP wanted a FIRMER ride for the Spyder so they also changed the ANGLE of the front shocks, but their change needed to meet SALES criteria ( ie make lots of customers a little more happy ).....I wanted a more performance oriented ride so I went further........Ask yourself this question , why has EVERY manufacturer of MX, off-road, dirt bikes etc. been INCREASING the amount of SPRING travel when they could have just MADE THE SPRINGS STIFFER ????.....the latter would have been far less expensive , but in mine and their opinion the ride compliance would have suffered greatly......I'm not putting what you did down, I love DIY'ers....I'm a DIY'er and this is why I'm taking the time to write this explanation......And there is this !!!.....IMO , BRP was not at all happy with what Pitbull did a few years back with His front shock angle adjusters........BECAUSE on the 2014 frames they added a small metal TAB which PREVENTS a simple BOLT-ON - NO CUTTING -NO TRIMMING -FIX that Pitbull created......This TAB has absolutely NO OTHER FUNCTION.........I cut this TAB off and was able to create my brackets......When I am flying thru the " twisties " and encounter rough surface conditions ( which are normal in Vermont ).....my front end does not get upset ie it remains planted, I think this is the difference between STIFFER...and FIRMER......Keep on DIYing this is where progress is born ............Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-19-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yes , if you shorten the spring you will definitely get a STIFFER ride..........I did not want that, I wanted a FIRMER ride so I changed the ANGLE. This may seem like semantics but it isn't........Back in 2013 BRP wanted a FIRMER ride for the Spyder so they also changed the ANGLE of the front shocks, but their change needed to meet SALES criteria ( ie make lots of customers a little more happy ).....I wanted a more performance oriented ride so I went further........Ask yourself this question , why has EVERY manufacturer of MX, off-road, dirt bikes etc. been INCREASING the amount of SPRING travel when they could have just MADE THE SPRINGS STIFFER ????.....the latter would have been far less expensive , but in mine and their opinion the ride compliance would have suffered greatly......I'm not putting what you did down, I love DIY'ers....I'm a DIY'er and this is why I'm taking the time to write this explanation......And there is this !!!.....IMO , BRP was not at all happy with what Pitbull did a few years back with His front shock angle adjusters........BECAUSE on the 2014 frames they added a small metal TAB which PREVENTS a simple BOLT-ON - NO CUTTING -NO TRIMMING -FIX that Pitbull created......This TAB has absolutely NO OTHER FUNCTION.........I cut this TAB off and was able to create my brackets......When I am flying thru the " twisties " and encounter rough surface conditions ( which are normal in Vermont ).....my front end does not get upset ie it remains planted, I think this is the difference between STIFFER...and FIRMER......Keep on DIYing this is where progress is born ............Mike
    Mike's relocators did the job for MY RTL!
    3:16

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Any photos that show how you made the splash gaurds on the front? I live in the Pacific Northwest and I sure could use them out here with all the rain.