Spyder Garage

Question License Plate Light replacement

Hello everyone, I tried searching for this but couldn't find it, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

I own a 2011 RS and my brake light that is situated over my license plate recently either broke off, or was vandalized. I had spent a weekend driving about 3 hours and afterwards I noticed it missing. The casing that is attached to the rear fender assembly is there, and the light and wiring is there, but the red plastic case that went over it was gone.

When I called my dealer, they said it's an unfortunate thing as they see that part replaced more than anything due to the plastic housing cracking. Thankfully, mine went 4 years before that happened.

After ordering one, they told me it was fairly easy to put on myself. I attempted to, but the two bolts holding the housing on were a witch of a time as they are right next to the rear wheel. I got them off, but the housing goes up in between the fender assembly apparently, so doing a bit of research, I have to apparently take off the entire rear fender assembly... thus, here I am.

Does anyone know of a good video or link with diagrams that shows how to do this? I have the tools for taking off the fender, but I'd like to get it done right instead more "poking around" if you follow me.

Thanks in advance!
    Tox

Spyder Garage

Default New lense

One of our sponsors sells a replacement lense, so you don't have to replace the whole assembly. Custom dynamics maybe ? I remember they are around 20 Ish dollars.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure..!!

How much you are wanting to change. I got from Amazon or Ebay a replacement lens that has a transparent lens that becomes a running light using the license plate bulb. I think there is a vendor on this site that now has them as well. That is one screw install. If the whole backplate was damaged then you can go to cheapcycleparts.com and look at the parts list to see the setup. Shop manual would help....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks. Unfortunately/fortunately I've already bought the whole stock housing for $50 from my dealer. The backplate still attached to the Spyder is cracked so the whole thing needs to be changed. Yeah, I can't seem to find anything online about it at all in terms of pics or videos. Weird as my dealer said they sell more of this part to Spyder owners than any other part. Good suggestions though, thanks!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Lens

I lost my lens cover between home and lake George's last week ..I was a little shocked that brp
    did not sell the cover separate..$50 dollars is kinda high . ..coincidentally I was looking for LEDs for my gs ..I was looking at custom dynamics LEDs ...and I spy a replacement lens only ...and better than factory 😀 cha Ching sold ...20 dollars.saved thirty dollars ..that means more LEDs ..so I got fender channelz ....wife says I pay to much attention to the spyder ....😂 she says pay more attention to me .....I ask .where I should stick the LEDs on her .?

Spyder Garage

Hi jamesd,

Re: I ask .where I should stick the LEDs on her .?

Well, the weather is getting better so sleeping in the doghouse should not be too much of a problem.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Lens

Thanks ...I'll let her know .....😂 shhhhhhhhhhh she does not know I'm in here

Spyder Garage

I replaced the whole thing with a LED Catseye clear brake, license plate light and added a strobe. I found it at Dennis Kirk at a cost of $52.00. Its a HD light but fits okay and the more brake lights back there the better. All brake lights flash 10 times before going solid and after painting the GS, it looks a lot better. Pictures of the light can be seen in my albums.

I could never understand why BRP would put just a plastic license plate light on a $16k plus machine and even today with some costing $30k and more.

I remember when Fang was here for The Thunder Beach Bike Rally and his lens broke off on the way here from Pensacola. I knew I had my old one around and found after he got back to Pensacola. I called him and he wanted to know where I got my Catseye from. Told him and he replaced his as well, with the help of Erags.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.