Spyder Garage

Default Installed Bad Boy Air Horn

Whenever my dealer has to pull panels for warranty work, I usually find some farkle for them to add, and wind up paying about half the labor. They've got good service techs with the proper tools and WITHOUT arthritic knees.

Last week, they had to replace the frunk lock cable that they broke the last time the Spyder was in the shop. So I also had them replace the original "meep-meep horn"* with a Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn. It's about TWICE as loud. I had it mounted in the nose on the left side, where the original horn was. I used a horn relay, even though many folks here say it is not necessary. After checking the 2013 RT electrical schematics, I discovered that there are several different accessories running off the same fuse as the horn, including the heated hand grips. So we used the original horn button to operate a relay, which feeds power from the battery to the horn. (Click on the thumbnail attachment below for the wiring diagram we used.)

The horn is completely out of sight, mounted behind the left front panel under the fog light area. The only way you can see it, with the panels in place, is to shine a flash light directly up the left "nostril" of the Spyder's nose, and you can see it up there in front of the upper suspension arm and shock absorber. That's how I shot the flash picture below. (Don't ask me why, but somehow I thought it fitting to place the horn inside the Spyder's nostril. )

There is a black plastic casing inside that airway with a hole in the upper surface to for the original horn to stick through. We had to enlarge the hole to accommodate the larger horn, but it fit securely up in that space.

Click on the attached thumbnail below for the wiring diagram we used....

* Bob Denman is credited for originating the term "meep meep horn". I stole it from him. I hope he doesn't have it copyrighted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-16-2015 at 11:24 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

they do help with the noise level. We have the same one on our RS. Congrats.. hope you won't need it but for greeting others...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Gene. I expected it to be louder than it actually is, but I do think it's loud enough to get the job done, if and when I ever need it.

Spyder Garage

your lucky, my dealer will not install anything that is non factory
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I've seen you comment on that before, John. It's a real shame. Most dealers make lots of extra money installing after-market products.

I usually install anything that I can install standing up or sitting. But if I have to get on the floor, my old knees really object. When they broke my frunk lock cable, they were installing warranty replacement shocks and BajaRon's shock adjusters with them. They also installed the cat bypass for me - although they told me I had to order it myself. (They probably didn't want to get stuck with it if it didn't fit right.)
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-16-2015 at 08:36 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Both the Wolo and Stebel have a very "shrill" sound, that should get everybody's attention.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Mine is like a train horn. It is really loud. Seriously, I can tell someone to push the horn button and they bout jump out of their shoes. It is the same bad boy horn I think. maybe they have different Db level horns. I also wired it through a relay.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Mine is like a train horn. It is really loud. Seriously, I can tell someone to push the horn button and they bout jump out of their shoes. It is the same bad boy horn I think. maybe they have different Db level horns. I also wired it through a relay.
    There's also the Bad Boy Max one-piece air horn for a motorcycle that has a deeper sound. Do you maybe have that one?

Like Bob just said, mine has a shrill sound that is about twice as loud as the stock horn. That should be enough to get the job done, but it doesn't sound like a train.

Here's the sound of the regular Bad Boy. Here's the Max. (Hope those sound track links work. They're from the Wolo web site.)
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-16-2015 at 09:31 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used the same mount as the stock horn and faced it towards the front of the bike..I have the WOLO Semi horn..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    There's also the Bad Boy Max one-piece air horn for a motorcycle that has a deeper sound. Do you maybe have that one?

Like Bob just said, mine has a shrill sound that is about twice as loud as the stock horn. That should be enough to get the job done, but it doesn't sound like a train.

Here's the sound of the regular Bad Boy. Here's the Max. (Hope those sound track links work. They're from the Wolo web site.)
    AWESOME!!
    The MAX does sound like a bit like a train.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops (actually Harvey himself) installed one at Spyderfest for me. I still wish it was a little louder but it is certainly an improvement over stock. Left the old horn in and just used the stock wiring for the oem horn.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I installed this train horn in my wife's STL. It is about as loud as you can get (150db). The Wolo horns are quiet compared to this guy. It fits no problem, since the air box has been removed.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post

Mine is the max. It is a deep sound.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

If it is Plug-n-Play. What does it plug to, and is there a video anywhere of the install?
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

Default Train Air Horn

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I installed this train horn in my wife's STL. It is about as loud as you can get (150db). The Wolo horns are quiet compared to this guy. It fits no problem, since the air box has been removed.

I'd love to hear a sound byte from the air horn you have installed here. :-)

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, we don't have that Spyder anymore. Traded it for an F3.