Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RTSM5 .... neutral / reverse flashing

Had the bike on a trip last week and the problem happened twice in 300 miles , both times at low speeds and shifting into 3rd gear. Bike just stalls but starts again as soon as hitting starter switch .Shift indicator has an E showing and the reverse and neutral lights alternate on and off . Check engine came on once . If I turn the bike off and restart everything is back to normal. Made me pucker a little when I saw the lights flashing but nothing else happened .I have an appt. to have the bike looked at but if it don't happen when they're testing it they won't be able to fix it . Anyone else experience the same problem and have an answer to what to look for ? My dealer said he hasn't heard of it happening on any bikes .Very confident and happy with this dealer and any ideas will help. Thanks .

PS ....the bike has just over 25k on it .

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah..!!

Sometimes when shifts are not positive the gear position indicator gets confused and thinks your not in gear thus the E where the gear number should be. The alternating nuetral reverse light is new but probably connected to the same system. This usually clears whe you do the key walk and the computers reset...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Same thing happened to me. Took it to Len @ Pitbull Powersports & he said it was the gear positioning sensor.They replaced it under warranty & no problems since. Hope this helps.
    2015 RTS Spyder, Intense Red Pearl, Baja-ron swaybar & links, Custom Dynamics trunk brake light, third & fourth brake lights from TricLED, Spyderpops bump skid, led lights on turn signals, Rear Elka shock, sheepskin seat cover & a new Black Freedom Trailer. We love our Spyder!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PROBLEM

Quote Originally Posted by spyderfever View Post
    Same thing happened to me. Took it to Len @ Pitbull Powersports & he said it was the gear positioning sensor.They replaced it under warranty & no problems since. Hope this helps.
    .....I actually lived with this for a couple of years because it was so intermittent and I never got the dreaded " Limp Mode ".......I do believe a "Buds " check will bring up the history no matter how old it is..............When I was at Spyderfest 2014 Danny ( BRP tech ) informed me I had 245 previous codes for my faulty SE switch on file in the computer.................Good Luck......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default TSB 2010-4

I had an "E" problem show up that was very erratic and happened rarely. My tech remembered an old TSB from 2010 that was a Gearbox Position Sensor Initialization procedure. He said he'd try running the bike thru that procedure first as he couldn't find anything wrong with the sensor and was not seeing the problem occur. If it didn't cure the problem, then he'd replace the sensor.

It worked. After he essentially re-initialized the position sensor I never had the "E" occur again. Just a possibility for your tech to try if they balk at replacing the sensor when they see no evidence of a problem.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Default Positioning sensor

Thanks for the responses , think it will be beneficial when I take the bike in to be looked at . The dealer I deal with is in my book exceptional and doesn't get upset at all if you offer a possible solution to a problem unlike several others I've used and left .

Spyder Garage

I got the same thing on my way home from work today. The display also said to Check Transmission. I was able to retrieve the error codes, P2806 and U1201. Once the led's went back to normal, the codes were no longer visible.

About a month ago, I was left setting with no way to get it out of gear, or so I thought. Once I got he spyder home, I was able to find the shift linkage and were it was catching on a bolt. The dealer to care of that issue, now these two show up.

Is it possible that the new codes are from the dealer adjusting the linkage?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
    I got the same thing on my way home from work today. The display also said to Check Transmission. I was able to retrieve the error codes, P2806 and U1201. Once the led's went back to normal, the codes were no longer visible.

About a month ago, I was left setting with no way to get it out of gear, or so I thought. Once I got he spyder home, I was able to find the shift linkage and were it was catching on a bolt. The dealer to care of that issue, now these two show up.

Is it possible that the new codes are from the dealer adjusting the linkage?
    Both of your issues are related to the gear position sensor angle. take it back to the dealer and have them realign the sensor.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by exwinger View Post
    Had the bike on a trip last week and the problem happened twice in 300 miles , both times at low speeds and shifting into 3rd gear. Bike just stalls but starts again as soon as hitting starter switch .Shift indicator has an E showing and the reverse and neutral lights alternate on and off . Check engine came on once . If I turn the bike off and restart everything is back to normal. Made me pucker a little when I saw the lights flashing but nothing else happened .I have an appt. to have the bike looked at but if it don't happen when they're testing it they won't be able to fix it . Anyone else experience the same problem and have an answer to what to look for ? My dealer said he hasn't heard of it happening on any bikes .Very confident and happy with this dealer and any ideas will help. Thanks .

PS ....the bike has just over 25k on it .
    BUDS will show any codes related to the issue. It sounds like a gear position sensor problem or worn/loose shift linkage.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

It was the sensor. The tech said the connectors were dirty and the sensor was out of alignment. Once he redid the sensors, it seems to shift smoother and my gas mileage is back up around 30mpg with sitting in traffic. It was down to 25mpg.