Spyder Garage

Default Gps app on iPhone over Bluetooth

I have a Sena sm10 installed in my spyder rts and I'm awaiting my replacement 20s headsets for my wife and my helmets. When all said and done I was wondering if I could use my iPhone 6 as a gps? I found a few apps and wanted to try out, as the brp gps is quite expensive. My big concern is whether or not I will hear the turn by turn directions from my iPhone if is go that route? Was hoping someone out there may have a similar setup and could shed some light

Spyder Garage

Default GPS on iphone

​You shouldn't have a problem. I have an iPhone 5C and it is paired with my SENA SM10 headset. I can stream music thru the headset and the GPS app will cut the music so that I can hear the turn by turn directions when I have the GPS voice activated. Should work the same on your iPhone 6 and SENA 20S.

2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Mrfats

Uses and worked great. I was passenger during Spyderfedt and was duly impressed. He used the MAPS app that comes with iPhone
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

I have now dropped using my GPS which I spent a lot of time putting one on.

Reason, the iPhone 6+ and it's SIRI capabilities. I do not even have the phone on the dash. It's tossed in the trunk and over my Bluetooth headset, I can get full Nav by just telling SIRI where I want to go or look for.

Yes my iPhone gives me BETTER turn by turn Nav than my Garmin GPS ever did. But not on the screen! It's in my Bluetooth headset!

Now with that said, you have to learn to switch from a visual push button screen system to a voice directions system and not seeing or interacting with a screen.

I have gotten there myself and spent some time on a driving vacation in a car learning how to use SIRI and the GPS. Both my wife and I are now fully hands free even in our cars!

Learn to use the power of your iPhone and the answer is YES! YOU CAN!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I use HERE . Garmin is using them now you can download states and even not use Data. The voice for directions is clear and you can understand what she's saying.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes

The Best one is
    Motion X GPS
    find it in the App store it works just the same as my Garman

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I have a Sena sm10 installed in my spyder rts and I'm awaiting my replacement 20s headsets for my wife and my helmets. When all said and done I was wondering if I could use my iPhone 6 as a gps? I found a few apps and wanted to try out, as the brp gps is quite expensive. My big concern is whether or not I will hear the turn by turn directions from my iPhone if is go that route? Was hoping someone out there may have a similar setup and could shed some light

Spyder Garage

I hate to say it but I love Google Maps for GPS when I am "hands on" my iPhone in a car and once the route starts, hands free.

On my Spyder again I stress, LEARN to use SIRI! Talk about complete hands free.... It simply amazed me when you learn to use SIRI correctly. I will say, it took some time to learn how.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Configuration

Bob, do you presently have your spyders audio system piped through your Bluetooth configuration? I have an iPod in trunk using the main audio in plug of my Sena sm10 mounted in the frunk. I have an iPhone 6 that I have mounted to the handle bars that I would like to use for my gps while riding. I have not had any success in getting everything to play nicely. First off I have a lot of his that is coming through the 20s speakers when I listen to anything. Ok inc through the main audio in of the sm10. My second issue is that I can't figure out how to use my phone gps and have it cut out the music of the spyder so I can hear the spoken directions. I have a trip coming up that I would really like to use the phone gps, but as of. Ow the only way I can seem to get it to work is to plug my phone into the audio in port of the sm10.

Spyder Garage

I've been using my iPhone 6+ for GPS recently as well.
    One thing you need to be aware of is it will drain your phone QUICKLY... so you need to have it on a charger..

The advantage of using a dedicated app like the Garmin app or Tom Tom app instead of google maps or the iphone map app is that the dedicated ones have all the map info available to the phone... regardless of whether you have signal or not.

I used google recently on my trip to Spyderfest and it worked pretty well.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I love my maps on my cellphone but a little warning here. Depending on where you choose to ride you will only have map instructions through your cellphone where there is cellphone service. It is not a GPS you are not using a satelite for your service you are using a cell tower.

Just a little heads up,

Bill C.

Spyder Garage

Other than the visual indicators (which could be overcome by a phone/handlebar mount solution) and potential cell coverage issues I've been wondering for the last couple of years why anyone would invest in a GPS option. IMO it seems like a waste of farkle money. But hey, it’s your money..

On ios 8, in your iPhone settings menu under the maps tab, you can edit the volume of the voice. If you have a mount, you can input your destination, press route and then press the sleep/wake button. The display will then stay dark until it notifies you of the next turn which saves battery life (although as others have stated using the GPS in itself drains significant battery life so on longer trips power is a must).
    Current Spyder
    2015 Magnesium Metallic F3-S SE6

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder
    2013 Magnesium Metallic ST-S SE5 5,467 Miles

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

don't get me wrong, I use phone all the time for directions and I won't own a GPS because it is to much money for what I would get out of it. I just wanted to make sure that everyone understood that it was an actual GPS.

Bill C.