Spyder Garage

Default F3 – Likes, Dislikes, Loves & Hates

F3 – Likes, Dislikes, Loves & Hates

The F3 is a significant change (being acruiser) in style and performance. Overall I am extremely happy, however there are some hits and misses with any new model. These comments are the way I see' em. (I am a retired Quality Engineer/Manager so I am very critical of anything less than perfection – but, the F3 is very good/great, and could have been great/perfect – my opinion only)

Likes (very much / almost love)

• low end torque (wow – feel the power), quicker
    • handlebar and leg (brakes and clutch) positioning (custom fitting)
    • less shifting of gears (have SM6), range in gear has doubled (low end torque - great)
    • gas can be added from either side of the bike, without passenger or seat bag removal
    • Fixed/eliminated most of the overheating and gas smell issues
    • looking at the rear view mirrors and not seeing you hands
    • Lighted instrument gauges for hand grip and aux light (nice buttons to depress)
    • extra 12 volt ports (3 in total), but one in trunk needs a quick disconnect
    • easy to check - oil, temperature, and get to (replace) battery

Dislikes

• trunk space (cut in half?) - I know – this fixed the overheating problem
    • BRP saddlebags (small and expensive) and back ordered
    • rear view mirror still has a blind spot (and an additional angle mirror is needed)
    • BRP options – many not available (back ordered), or canceled (RT 66!)
    • “triple” vibration at 4,000 rpm (need better belt tensioners – help someone)
    • temperature gauge not accurate at start up (too much hot engine effect)
    • clutch (SM6) is lower (angle) on the handlebar
    • buying aftermarket windshield and saddlebags

Loves

• WOW factor (aggressive looks, stance, overall uniqueness)
    • Handling, response, lower center of gravity, ergonomics (4 unique items listed as one)
    • Increased gas mileage (what a pleasant surprise, being much more powerful)
    • legs more relaxed, less cramping, more riding

Hates

• BRP's windshield selection – NO adjustable windshield (like on the RT's - stupid)
    • NO trailer hitch available (someone please make one – with little storage this is needed)

To be determined

• Handlebar position (pulling instead of pushing) – always can change location if needed
    • stepping on the passenger foot rest to get on/off the bike (different, but OK?)
    • Switching the position of the flasher button and the engine kill switch

It is a different “type” of machine, and not for everyone – but for me – so far - GREAT

Spyder Garage

Default Great review...

almost clinical.. but the end result is that you like it..thats the part that counts. Always have a few imperfections...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Many items you mentioned are in the works, or available. Lamonster, Smoothspyder are two good places to start.
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

The angle of the clutch lever as it mounts on the round handlebar can be adjusted.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Good review. Very complete indeed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Excellent! You folks keep fine tuning this already fine machine and I will probably jump in a couple of years! Still want to wait for Corbin, F-4, etc... to catch up! Ride on!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Excellent Post

You seem to be a very meticulous consumer and I have faith that the aftermarket will rise to meet your need for a better windshield, better storage, and eventually a trailer hitch. It sounds like you are happy with the F3 and the few things that you aren't thrilled with shouldn't detract much from your ride.

Spyder Garage

Default Ugly front.

I hope that Vertika Trikes will come out with better looking front for F3.

Spyder Garage

For its purpous I like everyting about the F3 other than the lack of wind protection but even that is fine given a full face helmut is worn. I took one for a test ride redlining every shift and it is great. I am older an like touring more than sport biking but given the money and more garage space I would own both the RT and the F3.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cez View Post
    I hope that Vertika Trikes will come out with better looking front for F3.
    At least it no longer looks like a snowmobile on wheels. I too thought it looked john deere tractorish when I saw the photos. In person it looks much more fighter plane ish. Especially the base version without the grey trim 'eyebrows' in the front grille.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Excellent post on the likes and dislikes, well thought out and detailed.

Every time I ride an F3, I have the feeling that it totally obsoletes the previous models. It is simply superior in function. From the 3-cylinder engine to the lower rider cg to the higher roll center, it corners so much better than a RS/GS or ST that it is ridiculous. Maybe this is more noticeable due to my taller height, but it is night and day IMO. My 2008 GS now just sits here, might be time to finally sell it, but someday it will be worth a bunch due to the single-digit serial number. It was one of the very first. I just wish my new F3 would hurry up and get here!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the new F3, it will be valuable information for many to learn from. Cheers!

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default Good first impression!!

I don't own one yet but test drove one for an hour plus and was very impressed with the power and handling, much flatter in a turn and the "Nanny" reduction really adds to the fun factor. Actually I could get in trouble with the reduction in governing in the turns. But it was more fun! Turning circle is much smaller too.

The rearview mirrors suck. I could not get a good view position. They definitely need more adjust-ability or be slightly larger.

The foot pegs weren't good for me, must be my wide foot but I felt like I was riding the brake. The foot peg needs to be Slightly larger and have a distinct "lip"on the outside to keep my foot from sliding outward and not feel cramped against the brake.

I drove one without a windshield and it damn near took my helmet off with all its extra torque/speed. It was much smoother than my STS and didn't "shutter" in reverse. I'm really thinking of diving in and getting one. Might need to put mine up for sale here!

Quote Originally Posted by kenfromhv View Post
    F3 – Likes, Dislikes, Loves & Hates

The F3 is a significant change (being acruiser) in style and performance. Overall I am extremely happy, however there are some hits and misses with any new model. These comments are the way I see' em. (I am a retired Quality Engineer/Manager so I am very critical of anything less than perfection – but, the F3 is very good/great, and could have been great/perfect – my opinion only)

Likes (very much / almost love)

• low end torque (wow – feel the power), quicker
    • handlebar and leg (brakes and clutch) positioning (custom fitting)
    • less shifting of gears (have SM6), range in gear has doubled (low end torque - great)
    • gas can be added from either side of the bike, without passenger or seat bag removal
    • Fixed/eliminated most of the overheating and gas smell issues
    • looking at the rear view mirrors and not seeing you hands
    • Lighted instrument gauges for hand grip and aux light (nice buttons to depress)
    • extra 12 volt ports (3 in total), but one in trunk needs a quick disconnect
    • easy to check - oil, temperature, and get to (replace) battery

Dislikes

• trunk space (cut in half?) - I know – this fixed the overheating problem
    • BRP saddlebags (small and expensive) and back ordered
    • rear view mirror still has a blind spot (and an additional angle mirror is needed)
    • BRP options – many not available (back ordered), or canceled (RT 66!)
    • “triple” vibration at 4,000 rpm (need better belt tensioners – help someone)
    • temperature gauge not accurate at start up (too much hot engine effect)
    • clutch (SM6) is lower (angle) on the handlebar
    • buying aftermarket windshield and saddlebags

Loves

• WOW factor (aggressive looks, stance, overall uniqueness)
    • Handling, response, lower center of gravity, ergonomics (4 unique items listed as one)
    • Increased gas mileage (what a pleasant surprise, being much more powerful)
    • legs more relaxed, less cramping, more riding

Hates

• BRP's windshield selection – NO adjustable windshield (like on the RT's - stupid)
    • NO trailer hitch available (someone please make one – with little storage this is needed)

To be determined

• Handlebar position (pulling instead of pushing) – always can change location if needed
    • stepping on the passenger foot rest to get on/off the bike (different, but OK?)
    • Switching the position of the flasher button and the engine kill switch

It is a different “type” of machine, and not for everyone – but for me – so far - GREAT

Spyder Garage

Love the style, handling , riding position, sound and power! Miss (don't really hate) the wind management of my Limited, the storage compartment where the gas cap now is, and the stereo. That said the new F3 has very few short comings if you came of another spyder. One thing I suggest everyone adds is the driving light kit, it really adds a lot of light for night time riding and is a must!
    2015 Red/Black F3-S SM6 with black hood strips, Blue Ridge windshield, driving light kit, removable backrest and saddlebags.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Troystoy View Post
    Love the style, handling , riding position, sound and power! Miss (don't really hate) the wind management of my Limited, the storage compartment where the gas cap now is, and the stereo. That said the new F3 has very few short comings if you came of another spyder. One thing I suggest everyone adds is the driving light kit, it really adds a lot of light for night time riding and is a must!

Several folks already are, and I plan to look for better and lower cost options to the VERY overpriced BRP aux lights kit.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Several folks already are, and I plan to look for better and lower cost options to the VERY overpriced BRP aux lights kit.

I got 20% off and free install, so it was easy to have these done and on when I picked up the bike. I don't regret this add on at all, extremely happy with the lighting and I ride country roads in Wi, deer all over the place to be concerned with. When I ride with the driving lights off, the lighting is not acceptable, but when on its pretty damn good! Lighting is better than my RT Limited now.
    2015 Red/Black F3-S SM6 with black hood strips, Blue Ridge windshield, driving light kit, removable backrest and saddlebags.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Troystoy View Post
    I got 20% off and free install, so it was easy to have these done and on when I picked up the bike. I don't regret this add on at all, extremely happy with the lighting and I ride country roads in Wi, deer all over the place to be concerned with. When I ride with the driving lights off, the lighting is not acceptable, but when on its pretty damn good! Lighting is better than my RT Limited now.
    I agree with that! Here in the UK we have those auxiliary lights fitted as standard as they are the low beam and the light output is very adequate.

In respect of the OP's dislikes.... "trunk space (cut in half?) - I know – this fixed the overheating problem"...
    The 1330 has never suffered from overheating problems!
    Last edited by OJ UK; 06-06-2015 at 08:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Was just fretting about the crazy priced fog lights! I'd buy another system but don't really know how to put them in correctly! can't wait to find a better solution.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Other than pebble grinding engine noise and excessive belt/engine? vibration it is perfect for me in every other way. The belt vibration I can reduce to a reasonable level by changing gears/RPM - the engine now that is a long canamchris story that is TBD for the rest of us.

Still riding and still smiling
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020