Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tie down points

Spyder Garage

There is no need for $500 wheel chocks. A set of good quality ratcheting straps tying down the wheels correctly works fine, is the BRP preferred method, does not damage wheels, alignment or any suspension component. I have hauled vehicles FAR in excess of 10x the value of spyders many thousands of miles using ratchet straps through the wheels and never once damaged a wheel or suspension component. The wheels and thier attachment are what supports all forces on the bike during normal road use, they are the only parts designed to do so and are what should be used during transport.

Mike's suggestion of an over the tire use of the strap is a good one and works well on trailers that have access directly in line with the tires. Many trailers do not.

Sorry to say, superclamps are a well built solution looking for a problem that does not exist.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIE-DOWN SPYDER TRAILERING

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    There is no need for $500 wheel chocks. A set of good quality ratcheting straps tying down the wheels correctly works fine, is the BRP preferred method, does not damage wheels, alignment or any suspension component. I have hauled vehicles FAR in excess of 10x the value of spyders many thousands of miles using ratchet straps through the wheels and never once damaged a wheel or suspension component. The wheels and thier attachment are what supports all forces on the bike during normal road use, they are the only parts designed to do so and are what should be used during transport.

Mike's suggestion of an over the tire use of the strap is a good one and works well on trailers that have access directly in line with the tires. Many trailers do not.

Sorry to say, superclamps are a well built solution looking for a problem that does not exist.
    Thank you JC for your comment, it seems like you , me, and a very few others get it......But you doubters and naysayers consider this ...." U-HAUL " one of if not the largest mover of things in this country uses exactly the same RACHET STRAP DEVICE on the car dollies they rent for exactly the same reasons I do....go to their web site and see how they tell the renters to secure their cars to the dollies.....and if you are scratching your head wondering what I'm talking about .....start at the beginning of this THREAD and read all the posts........Happy Trailering. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default I have WheelDocks for my Harley and my wife's Sporty Trike.

http://www.wheeldock.com/

Superclamp is very similar and designed for Spyders.

Safe travels on your move!
    Last edited by sduskin; 07-05-2015 at 09:19 AM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

This works for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is no BS....I've trailered and trucked to Spyderfest twice 3000 miles round trip each time. The only tie-down I have used was a single Heavy Duty Rachet strap put over the rear tire ( in line with the tire ) , with the strap secured in the front and back of the rear tire. I lower the tire pressure by 1/2 and rachet it tight. I was in a serious accident and the Spyder never moved ......That Strap cost me about $5.00......Nothing touches the paint , nothing can bend and suspension parts etc. and it takes me about 10 minutes or less to secure. I rarely have to add tension............You can spend a lot more but the Spyder won't be any better secured.......You can't spend any less............Mike
    Mike,
    Do you have photo showing the rear tire secured by a single strap that secure both front & rear motion? I can visualize the single strap securing front motion, but the rear motion--not so much ???? Is the F3 parked with the front facing the front ? I have several motorcycle wheel chocks but all are too narrow for the F3 wide rear tire..
    Thanks,
    d
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default GO TO ADVANCED SEARCH AND THEN

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Mike,
    Do you have photo showing the rear tire secured by a single strap that secure both front & rear motion? I can visualize the single strap securing front motion, but the rear motion--not so much ???? Is the F3 parked with the front facing the front ? I have several motorcycle wheel chocks but all are too narrow for the F3 wide rear tire..
    Thanks,
    d
    Type this in exactly......THE EASIEST.....It will be about 15 down in the list.......Mine is in a home made cradle, but that is because that is what I needed.....All anyone has to do is secure the front hook in front of the tire somehow.....and the rachet has to attach at the rear of the tire somehow......And that's it................I had a fairly serious collision and the Spyder never moved.......Some people just believe the expensive and /or complicated something ....it just has to be way better.....BS...........I have no complaints with the SUPERCLAMP, I'm sure it works as stated by the manufacturer.......but it does cost over $ 400 more than mine......If that rows your boat great.....it doesn't row mine..........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSS

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post

This works for me.
    I will add you to the list of people who get it ......nice pics ..Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Inexpensive front wheel chocks

Tie down---secure rear wheel with heavy duty strap. Secure front wheel chocks(front side) with small bolts to trailer--after parking Spyder on trailer slide the (rear side) chock behind the front wheels. Rear side of front wheel chocks could be secured with a removeable pin.
    These 2 piece chocks sold for $6.95 per wheel.
    d
    Last edited by Wildrice; 07-09-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling error

Spyder Garage

Default THE WHEEL CHOCKS THING

The price is certainly attractive, however let play devil's advocate ......say you hit a medium bump or pot hole ....trailers have notoriously bad suspensions......I wouldn't want my Spyder counting on 4 or even six of those .......My $5.00 Rachet strap over the rear wheel works....I know this for a fact.....it's been accident tested.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTDillon1960 View Post
    Superclamp is the vendor so it is expected that he will extoll the virtues of his product. I would too.

The strap over the back tire makes sense to me. Is there a way to put 2 straps directly over the rear tire? I hate the thought of a single point of failure!
    RTDillon1960, I am pretty sure that Nyparrothead already transported his bike at least a month ago. What was the point of your post? All it did was rile people up. Why?

Spyder Garage

Default CanAmChris - Reply

I asked the question because I just purchased a F3S and will be hauling it. Given my engineering background I do not like a single point of failure in any system and would like to know if 2 straps on the back tire makes sense. I really like the hold down system in the pictures and expect to use a variation on that...across the back tire.

The only person riled appears to be you. Does that explanation meet with your approval? Do I have your permission to continue this conversation with folks that have been there and done this?
    Last edited by RTDillon1960; 07-09-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Being an engineer as well and well versed in the belt AND suspenders routine, we tie down all three wheels on each of our spyders when we transport them. Total of 4 ratchet straps for the 2 bikes.

The small chocks are a good idea and cost effective to prevent rolling, but you still need to tie the bike down.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Tie me Kangaroo down Jed...

Anyone else remember that tune ?? or where I left my cell phone, car keys ???

I thought I mentioned securing rear wheel along with $6.95/wheel chocks

Inexpensive front wheel chocks

Tie down---secure rear wheel with heavy duty strap. Secure front wheel chocks(front side) with small bolts to trailer--after parking Spyder on trailer slide the (rear side) chock behind the front wheels. Rear side of front wheel chocks could be secured with a removeable pin.

Spyder Garage

Can I get a picture of the back wheel as well. This looks like a great way to tie down Spyders.

Spyder Garage

I strap over the front tires

Spyder Garage

SpyderF3, Did you customize the strap that's on the ratchet to make it longer or did it come long enough to be in front of the tire like that?
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

In 2013( at the time I had a 2012RTS-SE5) my spyder was on a sled trailer and it was tied down with a Ratchet strap. The ratchet strap was over the center of the rear wheel and underneath the spyder( the ratchet strap did not scratch the tupperware) and secured to the front of the sled trailer.

I can vouch for Mike -blueknight911 my spyder ( 2012RTS-SE5 at the time) did not move in the accident that we had. Sorry no pictures.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

SpyderF3, Did you customize the strap that's on the ratchet to make it longer or did it come long enough to be in front of the tire like that?
    Try DISCOUNTRAMPS.COM ……… They sell on E-bay at reduced prices and Free shipping ……… Lots of choices for length and they have some/most rated at 3500 lbs +...……… way overkill, but good peace of mind ……………………...Mike

Spyder Garage

It came long enough.

The one end with the ratchet was just the right length to hook in the E-track around the back of the tire and come around the tire to the front, then I cut the excess strap from the other end that hooks in the E-track in the front. I really didn't have to cut the strap but I didn't want to have to deal with all the extra strap all the time.

Spyder Garage

This works for me.
    nice set up but why not one on rear tire too? As most flat surface vehicle tows require pulling the vehicle from front & back preventing additional movement. Just a thought

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

It looks like the 2"x12' strap at Discount Ramps has that longer tail on the ratchet. I'm going to order them so I don't have to mess with that floppy roller thingy at the back of my tires. Thanks SpyderF3 and Mike.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I actually bought a third piece of etrack and extra strap, but after mounting the front two I decided it was all that was needed. It doesn't move.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I actually bought a third piece of etrack and extra strap, but after mounting the front two I decided it was all that was needed. It doesn't move.
    You are correct - it DOESN'T move …………. I chock my front tires, but only have one Strap over the rear tire. It's rated at 4000lbs …….Mike

Spyder Garage

This looks like an economical E track setup.

https://www.autohaulersupply.com/cat...E#RatingReview
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I was a Loadmaster on C-130-E aircraft, but I think I will try to avoid getting involved in this discussion.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver