Spyder Garage

Default Pairing Multiple Devices to the Sena SMH10 Headset

It is possible to successfully pair the Sena SMH10 Headset to a variety of Bluetooth capable inputs simultaneously. Before going further with this discussion however, it is useful to understand a little something about Bluetooth pairing protocols. Here is a list of some common Bluetooth Protocols that the Sena SMH10 can accommodate: (Of course the device being paired must have the same protocol capability.)

HFP – Hands-free Profile: Hands free calling on a mobile phone
    A2DP – Advanced Audio Distribution Protocol: Receive Streaming Stereo Audio Music from a phone or iPod/MP3 player, etc.
    AVRCP – Audio/Video Remote Control Protocol: Control music playback functions (Pause, Forward, Back) from the headset.

Most modern mobile phones are capable of all three of the above protocols, plus “PBAP” (Phone Book Access Protocol), which the SMH10 does not have, but certain GPS units and automobile entertainment systems do support. My Sena SMH10 headset will handle remote control of music from my phone (AVRCP Protocol) while using Google Play Music or Amazon Music. However while I can listen to Pandora Radio via my headset, it will NOT control that app, so apparently both the phone and the app must be capable of AVRCP Protocol. (See Section 11 in the Sena user manual for more information.) AVRCP Protocol is more commonly used with a stand-alone Bluetooth capable IPOD or MP3 player.

I have successfully paired my SMH10 headset to my Samsung S6 phone for both phone and music, also to my Spyder onboard entertainments system using the Sena SM10 Bluetooth Dongle, and to my Zumo GPS. All three work together simultaneously (although the Sena is limited to actually connecting to only one A2DP source at a time, which makes sense). There are several ways you can initially set up multiple Bluetooth devices to work with the Sena Headset. Here is the best way I have found to meet my specific purposes… (I make no mention of Intercom Pairing here because I do not use that, and thus have not researched it. However, the Sena User Manual does go into detail on that subject as well.)

• First pair the Phone to your headset using the method described in section 6.1 of the Sena Manual (Mobile Phone Pairing). The phone will automatically pair for both phone and music functions (HFP and A2DP Protocols).

• The Sena Headsets will allow you to connect two mobile phones at the same time. To do this, first turn off BT on the first phone, then follow the instructions in Section 6.2 of the User Manual entitled, “Multipoint Pairing”.

• If you do NOT have two mobile phones paired with your headset in both HFP and A2DP protocols, then it is possible to connect anther stand-alone A2DP device like an iPOD, or the Sena SM10 Bluetooth Dongle, using the very same procedure in Section 6.1 of the User Manual. (First, temporarily turn off BT on the first phone.) The Sena Headset just “thinks” the new device is a second mobile phone with streaming music. This is how I connect my Sena SM10 Dongle that enables me to listen to the Spyder’s entertainment sytem, including the connected iPOD I keep in the trunk.

NOTE:
    As stated above, the headset will pair with multiple A2DP devices simultaneously, but will NOT receive music from more than one device at a time. Therefore, if I want to listen to the Spyder’s entertainment system through the SM10 Dongle, then I MUST go into my phone Bluetooth settings and turn off A2DP (music) streaming from my phone. (You get to this via the “settings” icon attached to each paired device for the phone.) Accordingly, if I want to listen to music from my phone, then I MUST turn off the SM10 dongle (which can be a little inconvenient, since mine is located in the trunk).

• Lastly, I also pair my Garmin Zumo GPS with the headset. Since I already have two A2DP devices paired with my headset, I use the “Multi-point GPS Pairing” method described in Section 6.4.1 of the Sena Instruction Manual. That enables me to listen to GPS voice directions while I also listen to either one of the other two music devices, and have to phone paired for phone calls and voice commands as well. (Use the “Audio Mode” on the Zumo, not the “Phone Mode”.) That enables me to listen to GPS voice directions while I also listen to either one of the other two music devices, and have to phone paired for phone calls and voice commands as well.

I believe that it may only possible to pair two A2DP sources to one SMH10 headset. (Even if you could pair more than two, using them would be complicated because you can only connect to one music source at a time.) My two music sources are my phone and the SM10 Bluetooth Dongle. Alternately, if I did not have the Bluetooth dongle attached to the Spyder’s entertainment system, and I wanted to use the Zumo's MP3 music feature instead, I could have paired the GPS as a “second mobile phone” (following step #3 above), and then listen to both GPS directions and MP3 music from my GPS.

Here are some trouble shooting methods that are helpful in dealing with occasional Bluetooth glitches.

1. After you update the firmware on your Sena Headset, it is strongly advisable to “delete all pairings” (using the jog dial settings mode) and re-pair your various devices.
    2. If you temporarily lose connection with your phone (in phone mode), tapping the phone button on the headset can often recover the Bluetooth connection.
    3. If you temporarily lose music streaming (A2DP) Bluetooth connection between the headset and the music media player, pressing the jog dial on the headset for one second can often recover that.
    4. If you are having trouble originally pairing a music streaming device to your headset (or a second one), sometimes the problem is solved by deleting the pairing on both the problem device and the Sena headset and starting over with the problem unit. If the problem unit is a mobile phone, also find the Bluetooth System App (using the phone’s application manager) and delete both data and cache for the Bluetooth App. (These data bases will re-build as you use the Bluetooth app on your phone.)
    5. If you are having trouble with the SM10 Bluetooth Dongle, it can be rest to “factory settings” by pushing the button for 14 seconds until BOTH lights flash, followed by another quick press of the button to confirm. (Or you can try depressing the small reset button on the back side, which will NOT reset factory settings, but just cycle the unit off and on.)
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-12-2015 at 03:55 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Here is the video on sharing music with the SMH10:

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    • Lastly, I also pair my Garmin Zumo GPS with the headset. Since I already have two A2DP devices paired with my headset, I use the “Multi-point GPS Pairing” method described in Section 6.4.1 of the Sena Instruction Manual. That enables me to listen to GPS voice directions while I also listen to either one of the other two music devices, and have to phone paired for phone calls and voice commands as well. (Use the “Audio Mode” on the Zumo, not the “Phone Mode”.) That enables me to listen to GPS voice directions while I also listen to either one of the other two music devices, and have to phone paired for phone calls and voice commands as well.

Hi Rob

Thanks for the above - very informative.

Can you tell me which Zumo model you have?

I've been having nightmares trying to get my iPhone 6, Zumo 395 and SMH10 to play nicely together. I can get music (from the iPhone) through the Zumo to the headset and I can get routing instructions from the Zumo to the headset but I can't get phone calls (in or out) via the Zumo. I can see the incoming phone call box pop up on the Zumo screen and press the answer button, but no audio goes to or from the headset. If I want to make or receive calls hands-free, I have to turn the Zumo off and pair the phone solely to the SMH10.

Not sure if you or other forum members can suggest a work-around for this. I have latest firmware on all, have cleared all previous pairings etc and tried experimenting with which order I turn the devices on. Sena have just referred me to the manual which, followed to the letter, provides no solution to my problem.

Sorry to drag up an old thread...