Thread: OEM seats

Spyder Garage

Default OEM seats

Was there any change in the 2014 original seat and the previous models? I have a new 2014 and find it fairly comfortable but then only ridden a few hundred miles. Definitely needs backrest for me. What's thoughts on seats for distance travel? Thanks.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought that they did improve the 2014 seat, from the perch on my 2010...
    I've never had any trouble with piling up serious distances in a day with these seats; I guess that my butt is just as numb as my brain!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yes the 14 & 15 seat on the RT series has more cush for your tush.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

The 2014 RT seat seems a bit improved over the previous OEM versions. A bit more support for me.

At 12,000 miles (a fair test, IMO), I am not liking my OEM seat. To soft after 50 miles. I weigh in at 185# and no passengers.

I think the Corbin is about to go on. Glad it did not sell, and that I kept it. I did get an offer for $75 for it though--and that is no joke.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

For me, the key is to raise my butt up an inch or two, just enough to get the blood and air flowing again. With how I have placed my floorboards and Utopia backrest, I can stand with straight knees, leaning against the backrest. I can comfortably ride for miles in this position, steering with one or two hands. I'm only up an inch or two higher, so it doesn't look weird. Where before I had to get out of the saddle every 45 minutes, now I can ride tank to tank, tank after tank, day after day. I've done two 4,000 mile/10 day trips, including one 782 mile day.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The 2014 RT seat seems a bit improved over the previous OEM versions. A bit more support for me.

At 12,000 miles (a fair test, IMO), I am not liking my OEM seat. To soft after 50 miles. I weigh in at 185# and no passengers.

I think the Corbin is about to go on. Glad it did not sell, and that I kept it. I did get an offer for $75 for it though--and that is no joke.
    Was that $75, and you pay shipping?

That sort of reminds me of the time I gave away a pair of saddle bags that were on my spyder for about a week; can't remember the brand; but, there are a lot of members that had them. Anyway, first thing is he short changes me on the shipping. Second thing, he tries to sell them here for $30 more than what they cost (remember he got them for nothing). The only thing I remember about him now was that he was from Canada.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-08-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Was that $75, and you pay shipping?

That sort of reminds me of the time I gave away a pair of saddle bags that were on my spyder for about a week; can't remember the brand; but, there are a lot of members that had them. Anyway, first thing is he short changes me on the shipping. Second thing, he tries to sell them here for $30 more than what they cost (remember he got them for nothing). The only thing I remember about him now was that he was from Canada.
    Shipping extra--but he was hoping for about $5.00.

I just chalked it up to experience. There are always those that are mercenary, greedy, and very cheap. Que Sera Sera.

Free bags selling for $30 over original cost--I think I remember that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red