Spyder Garage

Default Brake light stays on

Anyone else ever have this problem? There seems to be a cylinoid or something that is sticking that unless I kind of pop my foot off the brake the brake light stays on which has killed my battery 3 times and effects the cruise control because the spyder thinks the brake is being applied,, plus the danger of driving around with the brake light on and other drivers not being able to tell when I apply the brake, and the nuisance of checking to see if the light is off every time I stop. I have applied some grease and it did not help. I called the dealer(its still under warrenty) And they said that the cylinoid or whatever it is called is air activated. The dealer is about 2 to 3 days behind on work because its their busy season. With the dealer being an hour away and having to leave it there for probably at least a week if it is something I can adjust or fix myself I would rather do that. Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Light Switch

Your brake light switch needs to be replaced. Dealer will do it under warranty. BRP has had a number of bad brake light switches. Had to have mine replaced last year.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Ditto. Bad brake switch. Mine was replaced under warranty. 800 miles on the bike for two visits to the dealer. One to diagnose. One to repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I recently read on Facebook about someone with the same problem on their ST. Maybe it was you? If not, then there seems to be a pattern emerging.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

We are seeing more and more problems like this. Could suggest repairs but if under warranty have them fix it. Call them maje sure they have the switch on hand make an appointment and have it done while you wait. This is not a lenghly process...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

they also replaced mounting bracket on mine

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Might try using a razor blade to shave a little off the brake pedal rubber stop. Doing so will allow the brake pedal to come up just a tad further, activating the switch and turning off the brake lights. Possible solution until you can get it checked out at the dealer.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

I shaved the pedal stop on mine. Did not fix the problem. I believe they also changed the mounting bracket on mine.

Spyder Garage

A quick look to see if you picked up any crud on the brake switch actuator. Riders of the Alcan Highway have experienced this when riding through gravel road sections.

I know of three limp mode situations caused by the above.

If crud is not the case, time for the dealer to make repairs.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies, was hoping it was just an adjustment. There is no crud in the area. The problem with going to the dealer is its an hour away and they are 2 to 3 days behind on work. But I guess I will have to schedule it in.

Spyder Garage

Yes, my STS had this same problem within 1000 miles. Took it in twice to the dealer but the 2nd time they took it completely apart to clean it. Have had 4k miles since and issue has not come back.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Stuck Brake light

Hi there, I have the 2013 ST-L, and a stuck brake light was the first problem that I had with my Spyder. I had noticed that sometimes the brake light stayed on after I had finished riding and turned the bike off. I day I had ridden it to work, and when I came out from work, my battery was dead. I had forgotten to tap the brake to get the light to turn off. I took the bike into Larson's here in Fife, WA, and they shortened something. Said something was too long causing the brake light to remain engaged and on. It just took them a little while to adjust it and I haven't had the problem since, and its been 2 years. So, that might be all that you'll need done. At the time I'd taken it in, they had seen only one other Spyder with that problem, and none had been reported on Spyderlovers.com yet (if I remember correctly). It was covered under warranty as well. good luck, hope yours is the simple fix that mine was!!