Thread: Newbie

Spyder Garage

Default Newbie

I’ll introduce myself. I am a newbie to the spyder world but not a rider – just educating myself. Early last month I ended a 35 year of on again off again history of two-wheel riding. At present, I am half way into an eight-week surgery recovery period. I am trying to decide if I want to put my knees in the breeze again on something with three wheels so have been watching you tube videos about the spyder. Although I rode Goldwings almost exclusively during my riding history, a triked wing is of no interest to me. My experience with a spyder is limited to having sat on a couple for maybe five minutes each time - no rides. My first impression from just sitting on the two different models was a spyder does not fit me. I can’t put my finger on why. I didn’t feel comfortable is about the only way I can describe it. I am considering going back to do a test ride or two after I am cleared to resume normal activities in a month or so. It will be sometime in the fall before I know what my future medical condition might be so buying new or even a late model is out of the question. I may return with questions on the older models as I continue my self-education.

Jerry Bennett

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have any ATVing experience? The Spyders feel a lot like they do...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome fellow Texan...

Best wishes on your recovery - hope that the future does include getting your knees in the breeze.

Don't know what model Spyder you sat on before - maybe one of the 08 - 09. I had one and it never 'fit' me. Guess too much crotch rock feel to it. I had two Goldwings (prior to owning a Spyder) and they felt great to me, but did not like the conversion to a trike. My 2010 and now my 2014 fit me just fine!! (and I love the new 3 cyl engine and 6 speed transmission)

If we knew where in Texas you are there may be some Spyder owners in your area - check out some of their bikes - plus get some answers to questions you may have.

All the best to you.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Do you have any ATVing experience? The Spyders feel a lot like they do...
    No ATV experience.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    Best wishes on your recovery - hope that the future does include getting your knees in the breeze.

Don't know what model Spyder you sat on before - maybe one of the 08 - 09. I had one and it never 'fit' me. Guess too much crotch rock feel to it. I had two Goldwings (prior to owning a Spyder) and they felt great to me, but did not like the conversion to a trike. My 2010 and now my 2014 fit me just fine!! (and I love the new 3 cyl engine and 6 speed transmission)

If we knew where in Texas you are there may be some Spyder owners in your area - check out some of their bikes - plus get some answers to questions you may have.

All the best to you.

Don
    Thanks Don. I was sitting on 2015 models at a dealer. I live between Dallas and Fort Worth. I have been debating with myself manual vs semi automatic. Getting lazy in my old age.

Jerry

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

Hard to tell from the limited experience you have had with the spyders. A test ryde on the different models will really help you a lot. They all have different ryding positions with the F3 having the UFit system where you can adjust your ryding position. Hope you recover soon and well and get the chance to ryde the spyders soon..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Hard to tell from the limited experience you have had with the spyders. A test ryde on the different models will really help you a lot. They all have different ryding positions with the F3 having the UFit system where you can adjust your ryding position. Hope you recover soon and well and get the chance to ryde the spyders soon..
    Thanks. The feet forward position vs the upright position is where I am most conflicted. On the wing I had pegs on the engine guard so I could stretch my legs which I have to do fairly often. Then I could move my feet back to the rider pegs. I move around a lot while I am riding. I seldom stay in the same position more than 5 or 10 minutes. The position change may be not be much. Until recently I would stay in the saddle for 200 to 250 miles. As I have aged I found half that distance is my maximum before I have to stop and walk around for a few minutes.

I haven't researched the F3 enough to know what saddle bags are available if any. I am guilty of taking as much stuff as I can pack into saddle bags and trunks. All of this to say I have to define how I will use a spyder.

Jerry

Spyder Garage

From your style your looking at an RT with floorboards and cruiser pegs...happy hunting, it will be fun...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    From your style your looking at an RT with floorboards and cruiser pegs...happy hunting, it will be fun...
    By jove my bank account groans with pain but the RT does lead the pecking order. Not to mention having to convince SWMBO.

Spyder Garage

I think you will find the Spyder more comfortable as you ride. I felt the same way after 50+ years on two wheelers but it wasn't what I'd call uncomfortable but just Different. I am new too, but been out riding my new Spyder and getting more enthused ever trip. There is the learning curve, don't counter steer and not having to put feet down at stops and hold up and 800 lb. bike on not great knees. Welcome from Central Washington and enjoy when you bite the bullet.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Cool Recent two-wheel convert...in Texas too!

I agree with the other comments on the initial feel of switching to the Spyders. Read the post on the "Do's and Don'ts" for new ryders and remember to hold the handle bars 'very lightly' when you take that test ryde. Also, recommend you set the rear shock (try a RTS model that has the electronic rear shock adjustment button) to one of the higher settings. I felt this made the ryde a lot more familiar than when the setting was on the softer side.

The North Texas Spyder group is near you (in the Arlington area)...I'm sure you could checkout their website and contact them on an upcoming event. They are a large group and I'm sure they would be able to offer a lot of insight from experiences on all the different models.

Best of luck on your recovery...hope to see you on the backroads of Texas soon!