Thread: Electric horn

Spyder Garage

Default Electric horn

Need help! I was at Spyderfest last week and had the dual horns put on my RT Limited by Rivco. Now my horn has stopped working. I checked my fuse and it's good. When I press the button I can here the relay clicking. Someone give me some advise please, so I can feel safe back on the road.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

If the fuse is good you need to get to the connections. Some wire may have come disconnected or its a faulty relay. Not knowing the horn type or connection diagram its hard to tell. Some auto type horns need grounding but if they worked after installation probably a connection...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sounds exactly like a loose connection, happened on mine, was a loose ground wire.
    RAVENZCLAW
    2011 RT-S SM5 Timeless Black
    Baja Ron Bar
    No Other Farkles

Spyder Garage

Did you call Rivco? Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Did you call Rivco? Tom

Spyder Garage

Default Electric horn

If you in fact can hear the relay activating, I would look to see if 1 of the connections has become dislodged from the horn itself.

Spyder Garage

Default horn not working

If horns worked at the Show and then both stopped working and in all probability its a loose connection which you should be able to troubleshoot yourself. I did not see them install a set of horns at Spyderfest, but I suspect they took off the minimal number of tupperware parts so it shoudnt be too difficult to access the areas where they did the installation. Their setup fo the Spyder uses a standard five conductor relay, the middle /center post is not used . First check to see if all the leads going to the horns are tight, then if all the leads to the relay are tight, then use a multimeter to see if there is current coming from the # 87 post on the relay when the horn button is activated, if not, then check to see if there is 12 volts coming to the # 30 post on the relay, this should be 12v + all the time. Check to see if there is continuity between a ground on the engine/frame and the negative leads to the horns. In this Rivco setup the 85 and 86 leads are are the wires coming from the stock /oem BRP horns and used to activate the relay. I just got through installing my new Rivco horns bought at Spyderfest and it took me some time to figure out that there is no ground wire going to the relay #85 post. Have fun
    Andy
    My wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat, gone 8 years
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2003 1800 Gold Wing with Hannigan sidecar
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

I had the same horns put on at Spyderfest and the installer didn't hook one of the wires back inside the right mirror so I didn't have a right turn signal.

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Default Electric horn

Quote Originally Posted by Nike23 View Post
    Need help! I was at Spyderfest last week and had the dual horns put on my RT Limited by Rivco. Now my horn has stopped working. I checked my fuse and it's good. When I press the button I can here the relay clicking. Someone give me some advise please, so I can feel safe back on the road.
    Thank guys!!! I'm back in business. Contacted Rivco and he told me to move ground wire. Quick fix