Spyder Garage

Default cleaning radiators

I have a 2014 RTs and would like to clean all the bugs etc. off of the radiators. How can this be done? Do the screens come off? If so, how do I do that? I sure hope they come off, if not this screen idea sure needs some re-thinking.

Spyder Garage

I have a vac cleaner in my shed and that does the job. Sometimes I use the elec blower and that works too. Have never tried the garden hose but I expect that would flush them out.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one..!!

BLUEKNIGHT911 gave a detailed explanation on the removal of the screens..don't go there...gotta get in there with some bug solution and the hose, compressed air or tooth brush.. it looks like a pain anywhichway...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yea the vacuum works the best, I have a 2014 RT too, I use the vacuum to clean the screens and sometimes wash them out with the hose. Between the two they clean up pretty good. Good luck!

Justcalldon

Spyder Garage

Default Cleaning screens is easy - getting the smaller bugs out of the radiators tough

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    I have a 2014 RTs and would like to clean all the bugs etc. off of the radiators. How can this be done? Do the screens come off? If so, how do I do that? I sure hope they come off, if not this screen idea sure needs some re-thinking.
    I agree that a vac does a pretty good job getting the big stuff out of the screens. But looking back into the radiators I haven't had much luck blowing out the bugs as the backside is pretty near inaccessible. Looks like a once a year De-Frunk dissassembly to get to the radiators to scrub the bugs off? If anyone sees a better way to keep the radiators working efficiently I'd like to know as well. Maybe the Kott screens are needed as a second layer of protection.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have been cleaning refrigeration equipment for more than 30 years. Worst things you can do are to blow the dirt and crud off the screen and into the rad coils. Putting a pre filter in front of the screen acts like a plugged screen from the start because it makes it harder for the air to get through especially at lower speeds. If it's not greasey spray on soap and water, let sit for a while then wash off. Careful with degreasers that might be corrosive even if you thoroughly rinse off.

Spyder Garage

You just need to take it out on the road and go as fast as you can
    the air will push the bugs threw the radiator and out the back
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the KOTT grills on my 2014 RTL. I sprayed with a soap and mix then washed with the garden hose. Had a lot of crud come out under the radiators. Checked and they look pretty clean.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS POST

Yo people , The poster wants to clean the " RADIATORS " ( fins etc ).........not the wire screens ( all-though He probably does that also ).........I have made a TEMPLATE for new screens similar to KOTT screens , and will send a copy of it to anyone who sends me a stamped self-addressed envelope......I took off the FRUNK and discovered to remove the OEM screens you would have to dis-assemble all the pieces of plastic that make up the frunk in order to get the OEM grilles out. I just cut them ......they were in the way................Mike