Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 1st Ride Impressions

My missus and I drove up to Waco to pick up a new to me Spyder RT. It is the stripped model with no radio unfortunately but I got i for under $12K and $12.9K out the door (Texas sales tax, registration and licensing). They went over the bike as I did the paperwork and checked belt tension, checked the oil and air pressure in the tires so I had to wait bit before setting off for home. The missus went down Interstate 35 towards San Antonio and I decided to go home via IH84 to Evant Texas and then down US281 towards home. While my ride was quite a bit longer, I enjoyed the ride and the lesser traffic. I won't drive on IH35 unless there is a compelling reason and certainly not on a bike/trike.

Anyway, the sales guy, Steward Solomon of Waco Motorsports explained most of the features and I was off. The skies were overcast and the wind was howling. The Spyder RT picks up more wind on its wide frontal area than did my 97 Goldwing trike (GL1500). The RT was buffeted quite a bit but was fully controllable. I spent a few minutes last night studying the owner manual and now believe I know how to adjust the suspension properly. I had no idea how to do this upon leaving the dealership so I am not sure how the suspension is set. The handling of the RT was far better than my Goldwing trike.

I didn't check gas mileage as I had no idea how to reset the trip meter. I know now and will check at first opportunity. I had asked about the power outlets fating and the manual says 3A. No compressors till I put in a fused heavy duty outlet.

Power? Most folks who find the power lacking on the twin cylinder version of the RT probably have never ridden a peaky street bike (like an RZ350) or an old two stroke motorcross bike with small displacement. Both appear to be gutless till you find the power band. 5k rpm at 55 mph on the RT is NOT close to its powerband and you need to row the shifter a bit to get rpms up to make the engine sing in its sweetspot. It has more than enough power for spirited riding. The Goldwing spoiled me with its low revving car engine... no need for downshifts in top gear at any speed to pass. I think most of the folks who appreciate the 1330cc engine are used to big car engines and not 125cc motorcross. Anyway, I am very happy with engine performance.

Then the gusting winds and clouds gave way to lightening and torrential rain as I got off US281 south of Blanco and onto FM473 towards Kendalia. It is winding a road as you will find and with many low spots and water had already started to collect in low places with 3 inches typical in low spots and hydroplane spots all over. The adjustable windshield came up to its upper position and shed water and the RT tracked like its momma is a duck. I am getting too fat to wear my rain pants comfortably but the RT provided superior protection and only the top of my thighs got wet and then not soaked. My tennis shoes remained almost dry. My shirt got a bit wet since I can't fasten the collar on my rain jacket... new rain gear is in my future I think (or a diet) but the RT makes riding in the rain a joy. It is THE BEST bike I have ever owned over almost 50 years in the rain. When it started raining, I discovered that the grips were really warm when I took off my leather gloves. I hadn't noticed the grip heat toggle was engaged... I also rode home with the cruise control on and couldn't figure out how to shut it off. I now know from reading the manual.

The windshield on the 2010 is a bit too high when in its lowest position to see over comfortably. I can see over it if I stretch a bit but it cuts my vision line when I sit in a normal position. I understand that Can-Am corrected this in 2011 and will be looking for a later shield if one fits.

Summary... well, complaints. My tailbone (as is normal on most seats) started to burn after about 200 miles. I probably don't need to read the safety manual before starting the bike every time. I wonder if there is a way to disable this feature? Windshield is a couple inches too tall. Alternate foot positions are needed for comfort such as floorboards. Cup holders are needed. A water bottle won't stay behind the windshield when you are moving as I had hoped. I already mentioned that suspension needed some tuning. Can't put key on key ring or a hook as there are no holes in the key (dealer gave me another key and a set of "key condoms - his words). Only other thing I can think of is that I wear glasses to drive and take them off to read. This means the little icons and all info on the screens is unreadable. I stopped for gas at about 50 miles thinking it was low and it turned out I was monitoring the temp gauge. The big digital speedometer is a godsend! The RT is a hit! A few small things to make it fit me and I think we will get along just fine.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wiredgeorge; 05-06-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Congrates new Spyder

I also live just down the road from you..Round Rock Tx.. We do get our share of windy days.. I found that adding the Bumpskid that it also doubles as a "Spoiler" and gives added down force to the front end keeping it more stable on the road..I next added the Bajaron Anti-sway bar, another must..My bike is the 2011 RT-S.. Think you will like the addition of these two products..Also adding more brake lights..Have two sets and will get the one that sits on the lid of the trunk list price $265 but small price to pay for protection..Good luck and happy riding..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by opiewhan View Post
    I also live just down the road from you..Round Rock Tx.. We do get our share of windy days.. I found that adding the Bumpskid that it also doubles as a "Spoiler" and gives added down force to the front end keeping it more stable on the road..I next added the Bajaron Anti-sway bar, another must..My bike is the 2011 RT-S.. Think you will like the addition of these two products..Also adding more brake lights..Have two sets and will get the one that sits on the lid of the trunk list price $265 but small price to pay for protection..Good luck and happy riding..
    Very useful comments. I don't much care for the unprotected underside of the nose part especially and a Bumpskid helps stabilize, all the better. I will tweek the stock suspension settings before adding an anti-sway bar and would love to try an RT similar to mine with one mounted before spending the coin. You are 100 percent correct on the lights. I didn't think about it but my old trike was lit up in LEDs like a Xmas tree! The custom units I have seen are insanely expensive and I will first look for generics that will fit and provide some visual safety. Probably a lot of discussion on these boards about generics as well as the purpose built stuff.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Swaybar is a must if it does not have Rons Sway bar yet.

A back rest may help you and a comfort seat..That would put you back about 2 inches..Not sure if you have that either..

Bumpskid is a option but not needed..

Anyway enjoy the new ride..

Spyder Garage

...very cool 1st ride report George, thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading it.

Welcome to the club !!

w

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new ryde! Ditto on the swaybar, it will improve handling greatly.

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations..!!

great start. Now you know a lot about your ryde and you are at the right place to find what you need to make it perfect for you.. let the farkeling begin..enjoy
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

sore butt .. look up Air Hawk ... they are very helpful and you can adjust it to what you want. Less is more

drink holder ... look up Butler Mug. Great product and the cup is some what insulated. Holds lots of your favorite beverage.

you cannot disable the safety mode that says you need to read to card. you'll get used to it and bypass it like everyone else. some lawyer ... somewhere thought he'd cover their butt by having this.

key holder .. go to Lamonster's Website on the front page and look up IPS ... In Plain Sight. I rarely ever remove my key now except when in a high public area. No one really knows what it is.

Baja Ron Sway Bar .... yes you want it!!! Then I'd also suggest finding someone to do a laser alignment on the bike. They don't come from the factory with it and it will really help you and also help your tire wear.

Rain Gear ... look up Frogg Toggs. You can easily fold them to fit in one of the side saddle bags. The material breathes so you don't feel like you are wearing a trash bag and sweating to death.

Spyder Garage

Contrary to a few remarks ...................... The Bumpskid is a must have for front end protection and looks as if it came from the factory that way, besides it is known a critter gitter on the road and in Texas ........................ Ya got a lot of critters.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

on your new ride. Your observations are right on. You are going to like the RT. Good color too!

I like the bumpskid because it lights up the front even more.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP who recommend the BajaRon sway bar and laser alignment. You said the RT was buffeted but controllable. With a laser alignment and sway bar it will track like an arrow fired from a crossbow. The bumpskid is mandatory IMO. It will take only one bashing of your Tupperware nose to regret passing on this very useful item of protective gear. Ride safe and have fun!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Cool beans.

Spyder Garage

What is aligned when a laser alignment is done on a trike. I know exactly how to do a laser alignment on a two wheeler with a chain... here is a common tool used to do this on a motorcycle:

http://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-to...FY-EaQodl3QAJw

What gets adjusted while aligning a Can-Am? The belt?

Spyder Garage
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Is the laser alignment something that any dealership would do? If not, is there someplace in South or Central Texas that does it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome. You can lay a bottle of water between the seat and the passenger handgrips and it won't fly off.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Enjoyed reading your post and first impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    sore butt .. look up Air Hawk ... they are very helpful and you can adjust it to what you want. Less is more

drink holder ... look up Butler Mug. Great product and the cup is some what insulated. Holds lots of your favorite beverage.

you cannot disable the safety mode that says you need to read to card. you'll get used to it and bypass it like everyone else. some lawyer ... somewhere thought he'd cover their butt by having this.

key holder .. go to Lamonster's Website on the front page and look up IPS ... In Plain Sight. I rarely ever remove my key now except when in a high public area. No one really knows what it is.

Baja Ron Sway Bar .... yes you want it!!! Then I'd also suggest finding someone to do a laser alignment on the bike. They don't come from the factory with it and it will really help you and also help your tire wear.

Rain Gear ... look up Frogg Toggs. You can easily fold them to fit in one of the side saddle bags. The material breathes so you don't feel like you are wearing a trash bag and sweating to death.
    Here are some answers to questions you posted. I agree with all.

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would personalize the way you want to..Not every item is a necessity..

Sway bar yes-

If bike is steering straight and not pulling.Hold off on the laser alignment for now..

Get use to the bike and go from there..

Good Luck..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that the ride home was a good one!
    Now; the FUN begins!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 1st Ride

This is my first post, but would like to say to Wiredgeorge and Opiewhan and thanks for your review. I ought a 14 RTS the last of Feb. and only about 500 miles on it. Been riding for 50 years but first Spyder. I really like the ride and looks great. Don't know how much I can add to it but reading these forums gives me a lot of ideas. My bump skid arrived today and have Spy5000 on the way. I live in New Braunfels and new to the area. Wife is native Texan and I have lived in a couple of other location. I look forward to meeting other riders and I do like to ride although it does not sound like it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I would personalize the way you want to..Not every item is a necessity..

Sway bar yes-

If bike is steering straight and not pulling.Hold off on the laser alignment for now..

Get use to the bike and go from there..

Good Luck..
    I agree, if the bike isn't pulling to either side(like a car would do if the alignment is off) and if you can let go of the handlebars, on a straight patch of road, and it doesn't head left or right the alignment would not be needed. I have a '14 RT and the handling is good for me without a sway bar upgrade. that may be something I might do in the future but is not something I have to have now. I did install the Bajaron sway bar on the 2010 RT and it did improve the handling a great deal. I recommend it 100% . The bump skid in some locations is probably a good useful item to have. I have had two RT's and have yet to need it though. The '12 model is a good bike and I am sure you will enjoy it. There are many many things you can do to upgrade your Spyder but the best part is you can have a ball riding it as is and add items along the way and the money becomes available. Enjoy.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Coyote Powersports in Boerne is about 25 miles from where I live and seem to be a fine Can-Am dealer. Rocky, the service manager has extensive training on the Spyder and seems to know his stuff. He volunteered to check my bike's need for alignment at no cost. I ordered an anti-sway bar and the Heim links from BajaRon today and after I get them on and the suspension set where I want it, I will take him up on it. Thanks! wg
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE

OK, Update on my ride impressions. It has been raining constantly here so the lunch ride my wife and I had planned for today was washed out. She works 1/2 day on Fridays. Anyway, I had a chance to put 65 PSI in the rear shock and move the passenger pegs up. This evening, we took a ride and the bike still wallowed a bit in turns and my wife never felt comfortable. Got back and raised pegs to top-most position and jacked up the RT and set pre-load on front shocks to stiffest position. What a difference! The missus was able to support herself in her seat with the pegs up so she didn't have to put a death grip on the grab rails and most of the wallow is GONE. Really looking forward to my new anti-sway bar arriving. She still complained of sitting too upright and it is a long stretch for her to grab the grab rails so I called Motorcycle Dave in California and sent him pics of the passenger backrest. He made some suggestions about loosening the bottom two screws and putting some more backing behind the seat which I will try but will likely be sending the backrest out to him to put some bottom to top til by shaving the top some and installing stouter padding. I am also in the market for passenger arm rests. Since we got back after dark, we both stood and admired the stealth side profile of the RT with its lights on.... it needs some LEDS on the sides and back as well (ASAP). The thing is almost invisible from the side in the dark! I know there are a lot of stick on stuff out there (don't recall what these things are called) but are any reflective?
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

George, Congrats on picking up your new Spyder. I enjoyed reading your review of the first ride and liked the pic; nice looking machine. Troy's crew at Coyote Powersports will take care of you and will treat you like family. I learned of them back in 2003 when he still had his shop down here in San Antonio. Even though there is a bigger dealership just 8 miles down the road from me, the decision to ride the extra 40 miles came easy when it was time to get the swaybar, bumpskid and rear high mounted tail light added on to my Spyder. Rocky took great care of my machine and did a great job installing the new parts.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light