Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT Kind of a "pooch"

So, am I expecting a bit too much? It seems that our 2010 RT is kind of a pooch when we're riding two up. (300 lbs combined)Seems like it struggles to maintain cruising speed (55-60), especially with a bit of head wind. I run good fuel, I changed the air filter early this spring. It seems to run fine, but it just seems like it struggles/lugs a bit in 5th gear anywhere under 5K RPM. Maybe I just got used to my Honda ST1300 having tons of power. That bike was half the weight though too. So, whadaya think......is it just me? Should I get it in for a tune up? It does have just over 14K miles on it now. Just curious what others have experienced.

Thanks,
    Rick
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's the weight as well as the wind and rolling resistance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Downshift.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Remember that 5K is the low end of the power curve for the 998 Rotax
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MZEMS2 View Post
    ...it struggles to maintain cruising speed (55-60), especially with a bit of head wind. I run good fuel, I changed the air filter early this spring. It seems to run fine, but it just seems like it struggles/lugs a bit in 5th gear anywhere under 5K RPM...

Rick
    When I had my 998, I didn't even think about shifting to 5th gear until I was in the 65-70mph range. (usually higher). The Rotax v-twin is made to rev high. You won't hurt it by cruising at 5500-6000 rpm.

Spyder Garage

I will just say this... Spyder likes high RPMS. That is it's power band!

If you are under 5K RPM and in 5th... your bogging the **** out of it!

I do not go into 5th unless I am over 60 MPH and really don't go into 5th until about 65+.

I don't shift into another gear until I am over 5K RPM PERIOD!

Oh and I have a SM5 which allows me to shift whenever I like without the worry of damaging the SE5 clutch system, yet still the bike likes higher RPMs. When I am in say 4th at say 60.... If I get on it..... NO issue about power and acceleration!

If you are in a gear below 4K RPM and get on it, it will bog like a drown rat!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-05-2015 at 08:41 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

FYI be careful on pre-2014's about "put putting" along in a low gear with low RPMs. It WILL damage the clutch system on a SE5!

It's not a low RPM put put Harley (potato, potato kind of thing).... You have to be on it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default The hardest part....

Of owning a 998 spyder is the fact that it is a high rpm engine. Anyone coming from anything other than crotch rokets will find this hard to adjust to. As those above I hardly ever use 5th gear under 70 mph and mostly thats freeways. The clutchs on the semi autos don't fully engage till close to 4,000 rpms so as you noticed it does well when your in the 5,000 rpm range. Freeways we usually cruise at 6,000 rpms (with sudden spurts to 8 or 9,000, when conditions allow it )..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have to agree, downshift!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Of owning a 998 spyder is the fact that it is a high rpm engine. Anyone coming from anything other than crotch rokets will find this hard to adjust to. As those above I hardly ever use 5th gear under 70 mph and mostly thats freeways. The clutchs on the semi autos don't fully engage till close to 4,000 rpms so as you noticed it does well when your in the 5,000 rpm range. Freeways we usually cruise at 6,000 rpms (with sudden spurts to 8 or 9,000, when conditions allow it )..
    I just rode 250 miles home on my new-to-me 2010 RT... was kind of amuised by the engine. The Goldwing trike I sold had seemless torque and was happy to coast along at near idle speeds with no need to rev the engine. In fact, I can't recall ever see 5K rpm on the Goldwing. Can-Am took a different tact with their V twin... it lis rev happy. Once I got out of the habit of trying to go 40 mph in 5th gear and started playing the gearbox and letting it rev a bit, I realized how bit a difference it is. I work with vintage Japanese bikes mostly for a living and understand that 7500 rpm means coming on the cams on an old Z1. Below that it is kind of tame by comparison. I weigh almost as much as you folks riding two-up and fought heavy winds and a lot of rain and found the performance even in bad weather entertaining.

Spyder Garage

Default 5th gear

Stay out of 5th gear till you reach 70 mph and if you get below 4500 rpm Downshift.
    That V-twin will thank you for it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Another option: Get a 2014 or 2015 with the 1330. My wife and I rode to Spyderfest and back on our 2014 RTL - combined weight around 320 - no problems with torque. Of course it's not the same as the 6-cylinder 1800cc GoldWing, but it's darn good.

Spyder Garage

All are right about the 998 liking the higher revs. We never use 5th gear until the highway speed is 65 or higher. We always keep the engine running in the 5500 rpm area. This is where the power band starts.

It seems wrong to be driving at highway speeds when there is still one gear left to shift into. It took me a while to get used to it--but that is the way the 998 likes it.

We sometimes find ourselves driving through town (35 mph) in first gear.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies folks. Just used to the street bike I had I guess. Downshift I shall. I like the torque of 4th gear anyway....
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The 'DOWNSHIFTS' Have it by a country mile! And they are absolutely right!

The 998 really doesn't start making real HP until 5,500 RPM. You start to get the bump at around 5k but it really isn't enough to haul that kind of load/wind resistance until about 5.5k.

Go faster or stay in 4th. As has been said, running at 55 in 5th is going to cost you a clutch, fouled plugs and other unnecessary grief.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

try 4th gear upto 60 -65 .don't be afraid to run it 5000 rpm that's what that motor likes . when I had my 2012 rt I never shifted to 5th gear until 65 mph
    Quote Originally Posted by MZEMS2 View Post
    So, am I expecting a bit too much? It seems that our 2010 RT is kind of a pooch when we're riding two up. (300 lbs combined)Seems like it struggles to maintain cruising speed (55-60), especially with a bit of head wind. I run good fuel, I changed the air filter early this spring. It seems to run fine, but it just seems like it struggles/lugs a bit in 5th gear anywhere under 5K RPM. Maybe I just got used to my Honda ST1300 having tons of power. That bike was half the weight though too. So, whadaya think......is it just me? Should I get it in for a tune up? It does have just over 14K miles on it now. Just curious what others have experienced.

Thanks,
    Rick
    2014 rt-s black,bump skid,baja ron swaybar and shock spring adjusters,rivco highway mounts &pegs and trunk flag holders 2014 900 ace renegade

Spyder Garage

I came off a ST1100 to the Spyder. RPM is the answer, 998 is not happy at 4000 or below. Look at red line, then run 5 or better
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I hit 60 in 3rd gear pretty quick on mine from a dead stop shifting at 7k rpm. My only complaint is the lag at take off on my SE. Guesstimate is 0-60 in 6 sec or less. The 998 is no slouch if you don't lug it. If you shift above 6k rpm you will not drop below 5k in the next gear just where the power band starts. If I wanted a bike that runs like a car I would have stuck with my Wing. No potato,potato,potato either.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment