Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default USING THE ECO MODE 1330 Engine

Has anyone information on the use of the ECO Mode for the 1330 Engine

Not much information in the owners book and tried a search on this site

I am not sure when it should be used and if the cruise control can still be used when in ECO Mode

Any information would be helpful

Thanks
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

yes you can use the Eco mode with cruise control ... I just got back from a 1700 mile trip.. used Eco mode just about all the time... my fuel mileage was from
    29MPG to 31 MPG.. using 93 octane..

osm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    yes you can use the Eco mode with cruise control ... I just got back from a 1700 mile trip.. used Eco mode just about all the time... my fuel mileage was from

osm
    That is amazing low mpg....Are you still at low miles? After 30,000 miles I get 38-40mpg consistently in eco mode running 89 octane. I use eco mode for all relaxed ryding. When you are hot dogging it will impede performance. The operation seems pretty straight forward, put it on - up shift when the green arrow points up...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a little bit more information about how the ECO mode might help you save fuel...
    I found the Upshift light to be pretty-much useless.
    If you ride around looking for that green arrow; your eyes aren't looking where you are going!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    That is amazing low mpg....Are you still at low miles? After 30,000 miles I get 38-40mpg consistently in eco mode running 89 octane. I use eco mode for all relaxed ryding. When you are hot dogging it will impede performance. The operation seems pretty straight forward, put it on - up shift when the green arrow points up...
    I would agree on the mpg, with two people, the RT cargo storage max'd and pulling the 622 trailer loaded with the wife's foo-foo stuff for 4400 miles we averaged 39mpg.

We traveled with a couple on a GL1800 Gold Wing same load and pulling a trailer, we both were within tenths of a mile per gallon at every fill-up. On the highway, when able, we were using the cruise control at 70mph and not light on the throttle on the back roads down south.

Kevin

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question: I rode last week on the Eco mode, but I did not see the green arrow showing on the dashboard. The only modded I made was disconnecting the analog gauges. Is that why the green arrow does not show now? Thanks.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It actually replaces the reading that shows what gear you are in...
    If you accelerate too hard; it won't show up...
    If you accelerate too softly; it doesn't seem to show up either...

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

eco does have some benefit by changing your ryding style. You can use it with cruise and probably the best time to use it. Anyone can do the same by shifting at low load speeds and keeping running speeds at lower speeds. Eco just tells you when that is...original testers were not impressed nor used it as it saved them only a couple miles per gallon...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It actually replaces the reading that shows what gear you are in...
    If you accelerate too hard; it won't show up...
    If you accelerate too softly; it doesn't seem to show up either...
    Then --LOL
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Default ECO Mode

My last tank of gas, I used Eco mode exclusively and was able to achieve 43.7 mpg. The very best I have ever been able to get over many prior fuel ups is 37.6 mpg. Under normal driving conditions I have no problem just leaving it in Eco mode.

Spyder Garage

i tried ech mode one time and didn't like it so i never tried it again. the way i ride i am getting 31 to 32 mpg and i am happy with that.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tried it for a tankful of fuel also... it made less than 3/4 of a mpg difference...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I want to see on my 2015 bike with now 1695 miles, 37-39 mpg, I used Fuelly and my average gas mileage on the last tank, (1/2 city and 1/2 highway) is 32.2mpg. I want MORE!!!!

Spyder Garage

Bottom line for me. I used Eco mode faithfully for one tank of gas. Results about one mile more per gallon. Did not like having to look for the magic arrow each time to upshift. Found it distracting. Don't use Eco mode in my riding any more.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default As a newbie...

I found the Eco mode helpful in learning when to shift. Sure, the sound of the bike should be enough of a warning, but never having ridden before, it provided a degree of "comfort" in knowing when to shift. Yes, it could be distracting and for that reason have discontinued using it. However, now that I have a few thousand miles under my belt, my confidence is at a point that I feel i can rely on both the sound and the mph to know when to shift.

Spyder Garage

Only my experience but...
    ECO mode does allow a "gentler" shift with SE models. I never noticed any mileage difference. It just seems to
    give a softer power curve, especially from idle to 4 thousand rpm. From there on up, I cannot tell the difference.
    As for the "upshift arrow".... forget about it. You probably already know that winding it out in the first 2 gears
    is not getting you anywhere anyway.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's because it slows the throttle response significantly...

Spyder Garage

I shift by "ear".

Been doing this for 50 years - lol

Did not like needing to look down at a little green arrow

I get 33 MPG combined, but there's only 2000 on my 2014 RT-S.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Has anyone information on the use of the ECO Mode for the 1330 Engine

Not much information in the owners book and tried a search on this site

I am not sure when it should be used and if the cruise control can still be used when in ECO Mode

Any information would be helpful

Thanks
    Last edited by PaladinLV; 05-06-2015 at 06:59 PM.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2014 RT has less than 3,000 miles on the clock... I did not "hot dog" while riding.. I took it easy and shifted between 2500 & 3000 RPM's.. rode 1 up ... no trailer.. recorded each fill up on the trip to Springfield & back..

osm

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I first got my 2014 RTS I didn't like Eco mode. Then last year I tried it during highway travel when hoping to save gas between distant gas stations. I never bother with the little green arrow as I shift close to their suggested shift points anyway. I found it acceptable for highway touring travel. If I want more I can change back to non Eco.
    In local city riding I don't use Eco.
    On my travel to Spyderfest and going home, still going home for 2 more days, I've been using Eco and find it quite acceptable. Even with Eco on and wanting to pass a vehicle, there is plenty of pull even loaded and riding 2 up.
    Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Maybe a dumb question but does the 1330 on the F3 have Eco mode? The button is so marked but pressing and holding that button to set eco mode does nothing. I never see an Eco icon on the gauge cluster. Doubt I would use it long term but just wanted to try out the bells on my new toy. Perhaps I am not reading the manual correctly but it says to just press the Eco button for 2 seconds to engage.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Geez, until this thread was started I had forgot about the ECO thing. Didn't like it a year ago and haven't used it since.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Dang your mileage seems low

[QUOTE=Orange Spyder Man;971744]yes you can use the Eco mode with cruise control ... I just got back from a 1700 mile trip.. used Eco mode just about all the time... my fuel mileage was from

osm[/QUOT

Almost at 4k miles this time out. I pull loaded trailer and use highest octane I can get. Do not use ECO mode. Mileage average is 38.2 mpg. Yesterday first 2 fills were low 30's. But head/side winds and heavy rain ( I was hydroplaning at 48 mph). I do have the bypass and 2 Bros. some say that helps. Don't know as I had those put on before ryding.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

On the trip to & from Spyderfest plus the mileage while there I stayed mostly in ECO mode and averaged 35.2. The best tanks were during the guided rides (a high of 40.5) while the worst were on the super-slabs where I wasn't sparing the loud handle (low of 32.2). I refilled much more frequently coming home just to take the breaks and stay fresh so I wasn't doing 200+ mile tanks. Yeah, a bit anal about the numbers!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default USING THE ECO MODE 1330 Engine

3 week old 2015 rt-s. With or without Eco mode we get the same mileage based on range. I alternate every other tankful is Eco mode. Range is consistently around 203 miles. There might be more in there but I am on the analog fuel gauge which is not as accurate as the digital.

2015 RT-S
    2015 SE6 RT-S
    Black/Red Special Edition.