Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Just shut off the Eco

I currently own a Yamaha V-Max and have owned a Kawasaki ZX-11 ( both modded). Do I want the crappy throttle response of of the little green button???? Do you need to take your eyes off the road to look ath the little( LITTLE !!! ) green arrow???

Just shut it off and enjoy the ride.

My 2014 RT-S get better milage than my Valkyrie and the Hemi so I'm pleased with that.

Looking for theshift arrow can cause:::

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    I shift by "ear".

Been doing this for 50 years - lol

Did not like needing to look down at a little green arrow

I get 33 MPG combined, but there's only 2000 on my 2014 RT-S.

AJ

That must be pretty hard on your EAR not to mention leaning all the way down. Be careful. Please don't try this at home!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Didn't he tell you : He's one of the famous "Flying Wallendas"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Robertsepolen View Post
    233 miles at 55-60mph. 5.77 gals at fill-up. Gas light came on at 217 miles. All back road riding. Terrain included Chinook pass in WA State. No Eco mode.

2015 RT-S
    40.8 (41mpg) is good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Eco light almost invisable during sunlight driving

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Maybe a dumb question but does the 1330 on the F3 have Eco mode? The button is so marked but pressing and holding that button to set eco mode does nothing. I never see an Eco icon on the gauge cluster. Doubt I would use it long term but just wanted to try out the bells on my new toy. Perhaps I am not reading the manual correctly but it says to just press the Eco button for 2 seconds to engage.
    Check it out after the sun goes down---it's not easy to see during sunny daylight hours.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default miles per gallon has lots of variables

I average 30-33 mph on my F3's. Relating to auto engines--I had an 2008 GMC Denali with 5.3 liter V8. Pulling a 2500lb loaded trailer to N.C. I would get approx. 13.5 mpg via W. Virginia mountains. I now have a 2012 Acadia Denali 3.6 liter V6 & I get approx. 12 mpg with trailer. Driving without trailer my 2008 5.3 liter V8 got 13.5-15 mpg. The GMC 3.6 liter Acadia Denali averages 15--17 mpg without trailer. Freeway trips the 2008 GMC V8 got19- 20 mpg and the 2012 Acadia V6 gets approx. 22 mpg.
    I find it interesting that some micro cars on get in the 25-30 mph range & some larger vehicles get in the low 30's mpg. I'm assuming small engines require more throttle & as the load(via wind--hills) & the larger size cars require less throttle. I average 25-34 mpg on our 2014 BMW 328X while my lead foot wife gets approx. 23-26 mpg.
    Lots of variables when monitoring gas mileage consumption. I believe most driving gets close to city mpg...
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Question....I only have around 1,200 miles and I am averaging around 32mpg on Ecco mode. I have a 15 RT. Here in the DC area I have to go around 75 mpg on the roads to keep pace.

At what avg speed does mpg go down?

Also, Does mpg improve after the break end of 3,000 miles?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2015 Can-Am RT Limited Pearl White
    Farkle: Laser alignment, Bararon sway bar, Bump skid with LED, Tri Axis adjustable handlebar, BRP heated comfort seat, Utopia backrest, Kott grills, Tailgunner Black Widow exhaust, BRP adjustable side wind deflectors, and Upper wind deflectors.

Spyder Garage

If find 60-65 to be optimum for fuel range. 32mpg is not bad. I am at 7500 miles and notice no difference. I don't use Eco mode at all. Highest mpg has been approx 42 on back roads 55-65. Found range was same with or without eco mode. Opted for better performance without it. Watch your throttle and shift points. Still you are not doing bad for your speed situation. In your traffic it is better to keep a reasonable pace.

2015 RT-S
    2015 SE6 RT-S
    Black/Red Special Edition.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't found a good use for the ECO mode..tried both eco and normal and found I was getting the same MPG while driving the same. My avg is around 35 MPG

Spyder Garage

Default The faster you drive and the lower the gear the more fuel you use

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I haven't found a good use for the ECO mode..tried both eco and normal and found I was getting the same MPG while driving the same. My avg is around 35 MPG
    At constant speed both systems will return the same fuel consumption, as you found.

ECO mode is designed to get people to shift sooner and turn the throttle less to get there (up to speed) and thus save a little fuel.

Even the 990 will easily hold 35mph in top gear on the flat with no strain at all, one up or two up. That saves fuel.

The higher the gear and the lower the speed the less fuel you use, as someone else noted.

Even if you are "straining" the engine (the engine does not pick up speed with extra throttle) you won't use more fuel than if you were in a lower gear. However, it's smart not to "lug" the engine where it is shuddering or not responding smoothly to throttle input.

The fuel consumption readings people are giving are fairly meaningless without knowing what speeds or driving conditions they were under at the time. Giving a constant highway speed is about the only accurate and meaningful way to express fuel consumption, but even that is not accurate unless covered in both directions.

Loading (an extra passenger or luggage) will make a difference, as will wind and wind resistance. Even the size of the rider and his (or her) clothing will play a part, as will ambient temperatures. Spring and autumn give the best results, as extremes of cold and heat also increase fuel consumption.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    At constant speed both systems will return the same fuel consumption, as you found.

ECO mode is designed to get people to shift sooner and turn the throttle less to get there (up to speed) and thus save a little fuel.

I forgot to add the other truism - accelerating both bikes at the same rate and in the same gears, with one in ECO and one not, will use exactly the same amount of fuel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    I shift by "ear".

Been doing this for 50 years - lol

Did not like needing to look down at a little green arrow

I get 33 MPG combined, but there's only 2000 on my 2014 RT-S.

AJ
    Wow you must have big "ears".

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The better to hear you with...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default F3 same as rt in Australia

lucky ozzies have the same gearing on the f3 as the rt here in Australia and europe
    i noticed some f3 riders in USA with 1330 trying to compare mpg. Bit pointless as the rear sprocket / gear is different. THEORETICALY an f3 will not on average get the economy of a rt in USA. Lots of variables but rpm at a given speed is the clincher.
    i posted data from brp with gear ratios rpm and theoretical speeds for both last year caused a bit of a debate.
    I have my first spyder f3s, after 2000 miles I can now ride to the conditions of the rode and thrash around the bendies and cruise on our freeways and it is all fun without even caring how much fuel goes in to it. I can even fool it to lift a wheel occasionally. Fun fun fun.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhammy View Post
    lucky ozzies have the same gearing on the f3 as the rt here in Australia and europe
    i noticed some f3 riders in USA with 1330 trying to compare mpg. Bit pointless as the rear sprocket / gear is different. THEORETICALY an f3 will not on average get the economy of a rt in USA. Lots of variables but rpm at a given speed is the clincher.
    i posted data from brp with gear ratios rpm and theoretical speeds for both last year caused a bit of a debate.
    I have my first spyder f3s, after 2000 miles I can now ride to the conditions of the rode and thrash around the bendies and cruise on our freeways and it is all fun without even caring how much fuel goes in to it. I can even fool it to lift a wheel occasionally. Fun fun fun.
    Your license number is neat.

Spyder Garage

Had to have the plate as I got the first Australian full ADR F3S after waiting 12 months.
    I ordered one. 12 months before they were released in Australia and am not disappointed.

Spyder Garage

Default ECO mode works

I was riding with my club and could not understand why I needed fuel but others still had plenty.
    The group leader asked if I was in ECO mode...I wasn't. I'd been told it was a useless function that reminded you when to shift. That is true for older models. When I switched to ECO on my 2020 RTL it made a big difference on mileage. Its perfect for highway trips. Still got plenty of throttle response but if I need more power a I switch power modes.

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Has anyone information on the use of the ECO Mode for the 1330 Engine

Not much information in the owners book and tried a search on this site

I am not sure when it should be used and if the cruise control can still be used when in ECO Mode

Any information would be helpful

Thanks