Spyder Garage

Default F3S handling vs RT LTD SE5

I got my first look at the F3S at a dealer and fell in love with it once I sat on the Spyder and the cruiser position seems to fit me. I have a 2013 RT LTD SE5 and to be honest I don't like the way it handles in turns. The 2013 seems twitchy in turns almost like the bike is fighting itself. As a result my attention or awareness level in turns is tiring and I don't enjoy riding the 2013 RT LTD. On some road conditions in the Rochester, NY area the bike just does not feel stable or safe. I have tried different front tire pressures and currently riding at 20PSI. I honestly have tried to love the Spyder but I have just 1500 miles on it and I only ride it to the store etc. I have taken the bike to the dealer only to be told that's how they handle.

I am seriously looking at trading the RT LTD for a F3S but wanted to ask if anyone has ridden both, experienced similar concerns, and solicit the thoughts of current F3 owners. The human/machine geometry of the F3 seems and feels better to me just sitting in the store however that does not mean that much on the road. Of course we are all different, what one person likes another may not etc. I have had a couple riders try my RT LTD and no one likes it in turns. I welcome your opinions and thank you in advance.

Mike McCormick

Spyder Garage

I put a Baja Ron Swaybar on my 13 RTS it handled great... Comparing it to an F3 is not a good comparison.. I switched to an F3 but I was never afraid to ride my RT very fast thru turns... The Swaybar makes a huge difference...

Spyder Garage

There are a couple of things you might consider before trading. If the front shocks are adjustable see where they are set (they were on the 2011). Kind of sounds like you need to stiffen them up. I think thatthey come stock set at the #3 position and I found it way to soft on my RS. Try bumping it up all the way to the 5 setting. If there is one available in your area try getting a laser alingment. It would help with tracking and many have found this simple fix helpful. Then I would sugest a heavy duty sway bar which is more money and effort but should help. More expensive but also very helpful are better shocks. The original factory shocks in my opinion are pretty worthless.

I have never riden an RT and as a matter of fact am waiting for the hand brake so I can ride my F3 but I have friends with RT's that I ride with and over the years picked up a few ideas. My 2010 RS had handling issues when I got it but over time with some research and effort got much better. Your RT should handle better than what you have described.

Spyder Garage

Don't test drive the F3. There will be no going back if handling and fun riding is what you are looking for.

I did the demo ride at Spyderfest. The F3 had me in a strangle hold in less than 3 miles.....I owned on by the end of the day.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have both an RTL and an F3. With sway bar and elka shocks I thought my RTL could corner very well but my F3 eats its lunch on curves. Also I was surprised by the comfort. I am doing a 1400 mile trip this week over 3 days (only 2 ryding) with no concerns
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I have both an RTL and an F3. With sway bar and elka shocks I thought my RTL could corner very well but my F3 eats its lunch on curves. Also I was surprised by the comfort. I am doing a 1400 mile trip this week over 3 days (only 2 ryding) with no concerns

That's good news for me!! Once I get my hand brake I will be riding my F3 with the bajaron sway bar and uprated Fox shocks.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike3119 View Post
    I got my first look at the F3S at a dealer and fell in love with it once I sat on the Spyder and the cruiser position seems to fit me. I have a 2013 RT LTD SE5 and to be honest I don't like the way it handles in turns. The 2013 seems twitchy in turns almost like the bike is fighting itself. As a result my attention or awareness level in turns is tiring and I don't enjoy riding the 2013 RT LTD. On some road conditions in the Rochester, NY area the bike just does not feel stable or safe. I have tried different front tire pressures and currently riding at 20PSI. I honestly have tried to love the Spyder but I have just 1500 miles on it and I only ride it to the store etc. I have taken the bike to the dealer only to be told that's how they handle.

I am seriously looking at trading the RT LTD for a F3S but wanted to ask if anyone has ridden both, experienced similar concerns, and solicit the thoughts of current F3 owners. The human/machine geometry of the F3 seems and feels better to me just sitting in the store however that does not mean that much on the road. Of course we are all different, what one person likes another may not etc. I have had a couple riders try my RT LTD and no one likes it in turns. I welcome your opinions and thank you in advance.

Mike McCormick
    Sounds like your RT needs a laser alignment. As others have said the sway bar upgrade makes a big difference. Your dealer is full of it they do not all handle bad. Our 2012 RT handles great.
    http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealersny.htm
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Do it

I had a 2012 RT-S SE6 and absolutely loved it, loved all the bells and whistles it came with. In 2 years of having my RTS I took it from coast to coast and from home (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to California) and was amazing. BUT.....

Than I rode an F3S, and all those bells and whistles became worthless. Riding the F3S was heaven, I am 6'1" and with the UFIT system I couldn't have been more comfortable with the +2 settings. I put money down on the table right there and said how soon can you have my F3S built. I have fond memories of my radio and electric windshield, but have NO regrets.

And the handling.... I can't say enough about the F3s, it is downright Nimble! The RTS felt large and clumsy, where the F3S feels like a dancer (sounds lame I know, but that's how it feels).

Storage issues are minimalized by the pure volume of aftermarket product (if you don't want to pay outrageous BRP prices for accessories). I have a huge tank bag, soft saddlebags, and a great tail bag, and Smoothspyder backrest. (still waiting on my Madstad windshield). I am almost ready for my 13,000km trip this year from Edmonton, to New Orleans, New York and back, and I am very happy to be doing it on my F3S.

You will not regret it.
    Last edited by llyrad; 05-04-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

All good answers.

Another thing is grip. Lite grip. If your gripping to tight will show in either model.

Test drive the F3. I have did twice one on a loaner for about 100+ miles.

Love it just don't like all the wind.

Spyder Garage

...Agree, when they get a reasonable windshield this will be the ultimate road warrior...

this F3 is like one of those funny cars you see on TV....superior handling, might slide
    a little but won't tump over, fast as all heck.....I loved it, but you almost cant
    compare the two bikes. The RT is THE solution for two up riding....if that
    isn't a concern, the F3 all the way baaaby...they will built a windshield
    and when they do, two wheeled bikes may become obsolete, save
    the occasional trick rider and moto cross biker...
    Last edited by wishey1; 05-04-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wishey1 View Post
    ...Agree, when they get a reasonable windshield this will be the ultimate road warrior...

this F3 is like one of those funny cars you see on TV....superior handling, might slide
    a little but won't tump over, fast as all heck.....I loved it, but you almost cant
    compare the two bikes. The RT is THE solution for two up riding....if that
    isn't a concern, the F3 all the way baaaby...they will built a windshield
    and when they do, two wheeled bikes may become obsolete, save
    the occasional trick rider and moto cross biker...

Soooo correct!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Laser alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Sounds like your RT needs a laser alignment. As others have said the sway bar upgrade makes a big difference. Your dealer is full of it they do not all handle bad. Our 2012 RT handles great.
    http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealersny.htm
    I had the laser alignment done on my 2015 RT-s at Spyderfest this year. Before that I found it almost embarassing the way it quivered all over the lane especially in the wind. I was thinking other motorist would think I was drinking. I was constantly correcting to keep it centered in the lane.
    My alignment was a full 3/4 of an inch off from the rear tire to the left. My original tow was correct, but the front tires were going left and the rear was going right. All that changed with the laser alignment. 600 miles to home from Spyderfest, huge cross winds in IL, and the bike tracked exactly in the lane. Almost none of the constant correcting to hold a line. In fact I was able to control the bike with just two fingers of one hand on the bar where I had an iron grip with one hand on the bar on the way down.

Having said that I would like someone to give me a technical explanation what the advantages of the sway bar upgrade are for my RT-s. At the moment I am impressed with how well this large bike can be pushed in slow corners. I find it a hand full at higher speeds and tend to lay back. Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Default 20 PSI?

Your tire pressure caught my attention. When I had a 2012 RT, I never put more than 17 PSI in the front (run my F3 right at 15 PSI). Your handling problems may be partially attributed to this...factory recommends 15 PSI. I'm just saying.....
    F3S Steel Black Metallic
    Former owner of '12 RT-S SE-5 and '09 GS SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's apples and oranges. Comparing cornering of an F3 to an RT is like a Camaro vs. a Tahoe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    It's apples and oranges. Comparing cornering of an F3 to an RT is like a Camaro vs. a Tahoe
    Amen to that!
    A Tahoe with a lot of baggage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike3119 View Post

Mike McCormick
    I also put a Baja Ron swaybar on my 2014 RT Limited and it made a world of difference in how it handled in the turns especially with my wife on the back. (She is petite, but any extra weight on the back affects how the bike handles, especially in turns). If you can find someone with the swaybar on one similar to yours, I would try riding it first before I give up on the one you have. I test drove a F3 and I loved the way it felt sitting on it and the power it had and the way it handled, but I have had back surgery that didn't turn out too good, so I'm more interested in something that gives my back the needed comfort and support. I would look into whatever I could to make the RT LTD better if possible, but that is just my opinion. [emoji41] [emoji41] [emoji41] [emoji41] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Thanks,
    Steve

Sent from my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slagiatt View Post
    Your tire pressure caught my attention. When I had a 2012 RT, I never put more than 17 PSI in the front (run my F3 right at 15 PSI). Your handling problems may be partially attributed to this...factory recommends 15 PSI. I'm just saying.....
    ...the '14 is a lil bit heavier in the front end so 18-20 is what you need, or so I've been told.

edit:
    Sorry, you are correct Mike was talking about the '13 RT....
    Last edited by wishey1; 05-06-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Tire pressure is like Oil,Tires, Seats everybody has an opinion but your the only one that knows what works for you. My only advise is to make sure they are as close in pressure that you can get them. Also check the pressure often! To many people just hop on and don't check anything just sayin.

Ride safe