Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Bearings LubricationRT622 trailer

I have read a lot of discussion about trailer bearings on this forum. I have also read alot about Bearing Buddy's not lubricating the back bearings.
    So, I recently e-mailed Bearing Buddy about how their Buddies work and got a response. Here it is :

Sent: 3/28/2015 10:18:50 AM
    To: bbirivas@coqui.net
    Subject: Bearing Buddy Rear Seal Lubrication

Good Morning

I have been using Bearing Buddy products on all of my trailers from Boat trailers to motorcycle trailers with great success.
    I have people constantly telling me that Bearing buddies do not lubricate the back trailer wheel bearings. My answer is that you are wrong.

I want you to provide me with some technical information on how bearing buddies work to lubricate the rear trailer wheel bearings.
    I am assuming of course that Bearing Buddies do in fact lubricate the rear trailer bearings.

I have looked on your web site and cannot seem to find the answer to my question

Regards

Mark Crenna.

Mark,
    The rear bearings get lubricated from the positive pressure inside the hub created by the spring load Bearing Buddy. As the air in the hub is expelled out the front, the grease takes the place of the area of the air pocket lubricating the hub cavity including the rear bearing.

CR/customer service

So I went ahead and serviced the trailer bearings. Cleaned out all of the old grease,worked in new grease into the front and back bearings. I did this to both hubs.
    When I put the bearings and hub assembly back together I always use a new cotter pin. I install the outer nut by finger tightening it and then half a turn tight and then loosen the nut off a 1/4 of a turn and install cotter pin where holes line up on nut and axle. I replaced the dust cap cover with bearing buddys and removed the wheel center cover as bearing buddys will stick through center of wheel.
    You have ti use a block of wood and hammer the bearing buddy's on straight to the hub.
    I filled them with axle bearing grease that is used for boat trailers. I like using this type of grease because it will not wash out of the bearings if water gets in and it is some what waterproof.

I fill the bearing buddy's exactly what the instructions tell you. Bearing Buddy Model#1980 fits RT622 trailers. I usually remove the bearing buddys and check the trailer bearings every third season. I always carry a grease gun to fill them up If needed when traveling. I am interested to see how they will work with thus trailer this year. I will report any how they worked.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I have read a lot of discussion about trailer bearings on this forum. I have also read alot about Bearing Buddy's not lubricating the back bearings.
    So, I recently e-mailed Bearing Buddy about how their Buddies work and got a response. Here it is :

Sent: 3/28/2015 10:18:50 AM
    To: bbirivas@coqui.net
    Subject: Bearing Buddy Rear Seal Lubrication

Good Morning

I have been using Bearing Buddy products on all of my trailers from Boat trailers to motorcycle trailers with great success.
    I have people constantly telling me that Bearing buddies do not lubricate the back trailer wheel bearings. My answer is that you are wrong.

I want you to provide me with some technical information on how bearing buddies work to lubricate the rear trailer wheel bearings.
    I am assuming of course that Bearing Buddies do in fact lubricate the rear trailer bearings.

I have looked on your web site and cannot seem to find the answer to my question

Regards

Mark Crenna.

Mark,
    The rear bearings get lubricated from the positive pressure inside the hub created by the spring load Bearing Buddy. As the air in the hub is expelled out the front, the grease takes the place of the area of the air pocket lubricating the hub cavity including the rear bearing.

CR/customer service

So I went ahead and serviced the trailer bearings. Cleaned out all of the old grease,worked in new grease into the front and back bearings. I did this to both hubs.
    When I put the bearings and hub assembly back together I always use a new cotter pin. I install the outer nut by finger tightening it and then half a turn tight and then loosen the nut off a 1/4 of a turn and install cotter pin where holes line up on nut and axle. I replaced the dust cap cover with bearing buddys and removed the wheel center cover as bearing buddys will stick through center of wheel.
    You have ti use a block of wood and hammer the bearing buddy's on straight to the hub.
    I filled them with axle bearing grease that is used for boat trailers. I like using this type of grease because it will not wash out of the bearings if water gets in and it is some what waterproof.

I fill the bearing buddy's exactly what the instructions tell you. Bearing Buddy Model#1980 fits RT622 trailers. I usually remove the bearing buddys and check the trailer bearings every third season. I always carry a grease gun to fill them up If needed when traveling. I am interested to see how they will work with thus trailer this year. I will report any how they worked.

Thanks for the info. Do the caps that go on at the end come with them or do you purchase separately?

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Default Very cool..!!

looks like a great solution and saves a lot of time for those with trailers...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    Thanks for the info. Do the caps that go on at the end come with them or do you purchase separately?
    The caps come with them. Replacement caps can also be ordered.

Spyder Garage

What's the part number for this on the 622 ? If can tell us.

Spyder Garage

Also what size are the bearings used- found cap number, but not the bearings size used? Thks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spacetrucker View Post
    What's the part number for this on the 622 ? If can tell us.
    It says in the original post "Bearing Buddy Model#1980 fits RT622 trailers"

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

1980 only a cap not the bearings, that's what I need is the bearings, have cap?

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Ordered some! Thanks! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Got them on order. Thanks
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

Default Bearing buddy comments sought

I am curious if anyone has any updated comments on the bearing buddies prior to me ordering them for the 622?

Thanks in advance.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I am curious if anyone has any updated comments on the bearing buddies prior to me ordering them for the 622?

Thanks in advance.
    what do you want to know

Spyder Garage

Default Couple questions

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    what do you want to know
    I see the advantage of the bearing buddies as being able to keep the hub full of grease. Do they present much of a difficulty when you want to inspect the bearings? Does installing and removing the bearing buddy have any adverse affect on the hubs?
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I see the advantage of the bearing buddies as being able to keep the hub full of grease. Do they present much of a difficulty when you want to inspect the bearings? Does installing and removing the bearing buddy have any adverse affect on the hubs?

Well from my experience with them the grease will not reach the back bearings until driven.(Vacuum is created in the hub area to bring the grease to the rear) when filling with grease the
    rubber piece rises to signal its full. But come back later to find it down so the grease had to move somewhere into the hub right?
    You will have to remove the bearing buddy hub to reach the nut and cotter pin unless you can access thru the grease fitting.

I have not removed my buddies just yet but if you are careful they should be good.

I been wanting to check my bearings after my 2k trip last year and the install of the bearing buddies. Have not done it yet to see how well they worked or not.