Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default awesome!

It's obvious in all your posts that you have a passion not only for people but for what you do. (what you do with these bikes is an "art" and any artist will tell you they are very particular about details too!) Before i even read this, i had anticipated what the outcome would be! (that you would give it back in some way..although it was not necessary, it's a wonderful thing for you to do... and you are doing this for all the right reasons. i just had this feeling... lol ) I hardly even know you , but from what i've seen, this is no surprise! It's great for the Road Warriors and for everyone else who has never met you to see this. It's a great organization, and awesome that BRP joined forces to provide them with Spyders to get them all riding.

Your compassion and generosity are well perceived. Thanks to your boys for protecting our country, in areas and at times that it was not safe for them. They obviously share a compassion for people as you do.

_Allison & Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I want to clear the air in my own words and let you all know what my plans are for the Road Warrior F3 raffle bike that I won.

First let me say I have a special place in my heart for all those who serve our great country. I was born in West Germany to Army parents and even though I did not serve I do have two boys who served in the Marines right out of high school and another son who is active duty in the Air Force now. My boys made the decision to serve the day of the terrorist attacks on 9-11. I told them as their father that the world as we know it had changed forever. They all joined while we were still at war. Here's a pic of them 9-11-2001 on the front porch of our home in San Diego.

When my oldest son Lance joined the Marine Corp I could no longer watch the news. When I heard "3 Marines injured" or "5 Marines killed" in Iraq I couldn't help but think one day that may be one of my boys. Then I would think that was someone's son or daughter. Those of you who have loved ones in the service know what I'm talking about. These men and women are so brave to leave the comfort of home to fight in a country they know nothing about other than they hate us and plan to take away our freedom and way of life. I have so much respect for these folks and try and help whenever I can to show my support.

BRP and Can Am surprised me when I saw they made a commitment to support the Road Warriors by loaning them new Spyders to drive cross country to raise awareness and raise funds to support out vets. Both Craig Anders and Steve Berger have taken the time out of their lives to make a difference and to pursue their vision. It's one thing to say you want to help but to put boots to your words is what it really takes to get the job done. These guys and all who volunteer to the Road Warriors make it a reality including a Canadian based company (BRP).

This year BRP gave the Road Warrior foundation a brand new Can Am Spyder F3-S to do with as they please to raise money and awareness. They decided to customize it and put up a raffle for it. The only rule was that they (the Road Warrior Foundation) could not win it. When I saw Craig in Daytona we got to spend some time together and share a booth together. They had done a great job doing what they could to customize the F3 but were disappointed they couldn't get everything done in time for Daytona Bikeweek. I know how that feels because I didn't get everything done either on "Triple Threat." To be honest, one of the things that really bothered the Road Warrior guys and me was they had blacked out everything they could but didn't have time to black out the chrome foot peg mounts. Being OCD like me, it drove them a little crazy.

Fast forward to Spyderfest in Springfield MO. 2015
    Craig and Steve were far short of their goal of selling the amount of tickets they needed to support their upcoming ride they were taking the Vets on and they knew they had a better chance of reaching that goal if they could get their F3 in front of more SpyderLovers' eyes who knew what a great opportunity this was. Their effort to get the F3 to Spyderfest paid off as they almost reached their goal in ticket sales.

As I walked into the Fairgrounds the night of the drawing, I was challenged by Len from Pitbull Powersports over the loud speaker to buy some tickets to close the gap. I hadn't bought any tickets prior to this because I was showing my support by marketing and getting the word out for them here on SpyderLovers forum. I did want to support them with my pocket too but just never got time to stop by the booth so this was perfect timing. I dug into my pocket and pulled out $300 and handed it to Craig. He handed me my blank tickets as I didn't have time to fill them out but he knew where I was going to be so it was no big deal. I never bought the tickets to win anything, the only reason I bought them was to publicly show my support and to encourage others to buy tickets so they could go ahead and raffle off the Spyder at the event. It worked. They reached their goal and the show was on.

All the tickets were dumped in the front trunk of the Spyder and mixed up. Len's son Colton picked out the winning ticket. Len then told everyone to stand up and as he read off the numbers those who didn't have the number had to sit down. I didn't even bother to stand up as I didn't feel like I was playing the game. As he got down to the last two numbers my wife Joan kicked me to stand up. I looked at my tickets and sure enough I was in the running. When the last number was called I was in shock. I never win anything and I sure didn't expect to win the Road Warrior F3. When I walked up and handed them my ticket I still couldn't believe what had just happened. I honestly felt a little sick. They handed me the microphone and I said a few words I guess but I wasn't really there in my head.

I know from the outside looking in you might think this was rigged but I can assure you it was not. I will say I thought about declining the win but for some reason that didn't feel right either. I decided I needed to talk it over with my wife Joan, pray about it and sleep on it. Before going to bed we had decided the best thing to do was to finish the project Craig and Steve didn't have time to do, add my Lamonster touch to it and then give it back to the Road Warrior Foundation to auction it off to the highest bidder. From that moment on I knew why I won the F3, it was so I could give back in a bigger way for the Vets and also for my boys. I felt at peace with myself from that point on and the decision was my own and not public opinion. I trusted God to give me direction to do the right thing and He did. I woke up with the verse about the parable of the talents and how God gave the most to the ones He could trust and took away from the ones He couldn't trust. He said He would double the return on their investment and I pray the Road Warriors will be able to do the same after I get done doing a little custom work at Lamonster Garage.

I have the F3 at Lamonster Garage now and I will begin work on it this week. Craig and Steve will be working on the auction and paperwork side of things and I hope we can get this to auction in time for Sturgis. We're thinking that might be a good time and place to put it up for auction. One hundred percent (100%) of what I put into the Spyder and what it sells for will go straight back to the Road Warriors Foundation.

So stay tuned my brothers and sisters...........this is NOT the end of the story!

On a side note. This is the very Spyder my wife Joan rode on the Daytona Speedway just a few hours after we got married in Daytona. That was the one reason I thought for a second that I might keep it but I had already surprised her with a new F3 I just bought from Pitbull Powersports that week so there really was no more room at the house for another F3 but that's pretty cool that the bike she rode was the bike we won.

After we won the F3

On the race track the day of our wedding. She had only been Joan Bryden a few hours here.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Service Defined

Lamont....please know that just because you "did not serve" does not mean you "never served". As we Veterans serve every American every day of our duty, you thru your own personal actions "Serve Veterans". To that end....THIS VETERAN SAYS, "THANK-YOU SIR".

And may God watch over your very own "Veterans" and keep them safe. And when they are done serving, I ask that He return them back to you unharmed.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lamont, thank you for handling this is a very classy way and for your support of Wounded Warriors. Regardless of which side of the border we come from, our military deserve our support.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

two words describe the whole story!! "class act!"

Spyder Garage

Lamont. Having spoken to you outside after you had won the raffle. I knew you were in pain, being pulled in many different directions. I applaud your decision to help a wonderful cause, again and again. You are a CLASS ACT! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

quote=Cruzr Joe;971295]I was in the front row when the drawing took place and no way was this rigged, Colton closed his eyes, looked away and drew a ticket.

thank you Lamont for being a big supporter of The Road Warrior Foundation, Like you i am not a vet (med reasons) but i am the proud father of a U.S. MARINE.

Cruzr Joe[ quote]

I worked the auction that night and was within 20' of the drawing. It was not rigged. I felt bad for Lamont upon hearing his name. All of us that were there knew that is was shear luck. For anyone else, it would have been awesome. Like Joe and Lamont, I did not serve (wanted to be a pilot, but the eyes didn't pass muster) and I also have a son in the Marines at this time. He'll be doing embassy duty over seas for the next few years. I'm very proud of him and all of our armed forces. I'll be back down in Springfield to pick up a new Commander 4 seater from Len at Pitbull and I can't wait to see what the Road Warrior Bike will look like.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the work you have done and continue to do. I have no doubt that the finished product will exceed everyone's expectations
    RAVENZCLAW
    2011 RT-S SM5 Timeless Black
    Baja Ron Bar
    No Other Farkles

Spyder Garage

Lamont, from the first time I logged onto Spyderlovers to the time I met you at Spyder Feast, I've told everyone what a GREAT person you are. You my brother just added a new level of greatness to the Spyder world. I'm proud to be able to say I have met you. What you do for the Spyder kingdom goes far and above anyone. I am not saying that just because of what you are doing with F3 you won it, congrats! NO matter what happens it will always be your Spyder.......GOD Bless you and TAHNK YOU!
    Open up your Mind and let your Fantasies Unwind!

Spyder Garage

Default My two cents-------very brief----

Lamont:

GOD does indeed work in MYSTERIOUS WAYS---and all this didn't happen by itself----there is indeed a higher power in all this and often we cannot see it because we are in the "THICK" of it at the time. However, over time, it will be even more clear and it already is in my opinion.

Please tell your son's THANK YOU for SERVING for all of us who can't serve and couldn't serve and didn't serve. IT truly takes a special person to do what they do. It always feels so cheap to just say "THANK YOU" but that is often all we can do, beside supporting where we can.

You touch many lives Lamont, I hope and pray you know that. We are truly blessed by you and are thankful for you.

I wish I could have caught you during some down time at Spyderfest to talk with you once again and to have met your wife, Joan. We knew you were swamped and could only view from the sidelines.

Again, you don't need to explain things to everyone, but it is so cool what you are doing, and how you slept on your thoughts and feelings- and awoke the next morning with Bible Verse and a plan.

It will be a wonderful thing and it will prove out to be a wonderful, loving, sincere, and caring thing for the Road Warrior Project. Any way you slice it-----IT IS ALL GOOD!

May GOD continue to BLESS YOU LAMONT and your wife and may HE continue to light your pathway of life on this earth.

Thank you ---for doing all you do----being a humble man, a faithful servant, a caring and supportive person for your fellow human being.

Press On!

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

This is the exact reason why when anything of value is auctioned/raffled off anyone remotely involved in the process should be exempt from winning it. Pulling another ticket would have been the correct move. Then no explanations are ever needed.
    Last edited by pierrelogic; 05-05-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based upon your logic; should all of the MoGang also been kept from participating??
    And your point has been rendered moot anyway... he's giving the bike back, with improvements to it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Based upon your logic; should all of the MoGang also been kept from participating??
    And your point has been rendered moot anyway... he's giving the bike back, with improvements to it.
    I was told the MO Gang was kept from participating. Perhaps this was incorrect?

Lamont made a good choice. The only better choice would have been giving it to ME....

BING!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    I agree with all of the above. You won it fair & square & there should be no negative comments. Great Job.

Semper Fi to your sons from a broken down old Marine!!
    A sincere thank you from a US Army Vet 1966-1968. There are some REALLY good people in this world and you are among them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pierrelogic View Post
    This is the exact reason why when anything of value is auctioned/raffled off anyone remotely involved in the process should be exempt from winning it. Pulling another ticket would have been the correct move. Then no explanations are ever needed.
    sorry, but I completely disagree! anyone should be entitled to win. whether the people are workers of the event, or people off the street. it takes many people, many hours of hard work to put on spyderfest or any other event. they should be entitled to partake of the event as anyone else is, after all, their commitment, and efforts are what made spyderfest possible. the idea behind this bike was to make money for project road warrior, and because lamont was man enough to step forward and buy $300.00 worth of tickets, he was in it to win it, as he should have been!! now I dare say, there were not many people in that room that would have given the bike back to be auctioned off so prw could make even more off the bike! sorry bro, but i'm not with you on this one!

Spyder Garage

Post The Issue Has Become Blurred

Let me start by saying this is My Opinion and mine alone and IS NOT an attack on the integrity of any other person.

Having read this Thread over and over one thing is clear to me, the issue of participation has given way to the argument of fairness. The one has nothing to do with the other but somehow the intellectual-side of us has given way to the emotional-side.

NO ONE has said it was neither "fair" that Lamont won nor was it inferred there was by any means "cheating" as some have suggested if not outright stated.

The issue here fellow SpyderLovers was whether or not someone who was a sponsor, or co-sponser, of the event should have participated in the drawing as a potential winner. As an example, one of the biggest raffles is the Publishers Clearing House (yes we all have heard of it) prohibits not only employees from participating, but also prohibits their family members from participating in the drawing. WHY? Because event holders should never become a winner.

QUESTION NOT ASKED: Were employees of PitBull and event workers prevented from entering the drawing? If so, why?

Finally, not a single person on this site has ever spoken ill of what Lamont has provided to this community and that remains true to this day. Just because we may not "like" how a question was raised does not mean the question itself was raised as a personal attack but rather a poorly worded inquiry. Let us not start "casting stones" upon each other.

Are WE as a Spyder Community not better than that?

Spyder Garage

Wow, just an unbelievable story, I cant understand how I missed the whole thing. First he,
    the Mr. Can-Am Professor himself wins the Veterans F3, then he turns around now and is
    going to give it back !?!....It's incredible! This should be on tv maybe like a CBS Sunday morning with Charles Osgood or something.

Hello Pitbull are you listening, you just can't buy advertising like this. You need to hit up
    all the local stations with this story...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F-3.........DONATION

......Lamont, there were tears in my eye's for the last couple of paragraph's........What you did was beyond generous it was " HUGH "........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wishey1 View Post
    Wow, just an unbelievable story, I cant understand how I missed the whole thing. First he,
    the Mr. Can-Am Professor himself wins the Veterans F3, then he turns around now and is
    going to give it back !?!....It's incredible! This should be on tv maybe like a CBS Sunday morning with Charles Osgood or something.

Hello Pitbull are you listening, you just can't buy advertising like this. You need to hit up
    all the local stations with this story...
    i have to agree, someone in the area of pitbull should contact a local station and ask them to do a story on it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

arntufun

I'm sure he contacted his accountant already and he will be writing this F3 off as a charitable donation from his business when he gives the F3 back to raffle. I'm sure he will make out very well when he files his taxes next year. I agree it's a good gesture and it saves a lot of face too , but he isn't a dummy to let that 25k dollar tax deduction slip away.

on the win Lamont !!!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOU ARE VERY INFORMATIVE ......BUT

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I'm sure he contacted his accountant already and he will be writing this F3 off as a charitable donation from his business when he gives the F3 back to raffle. I'm sure he will make out very well when he files his taxes next year. I agree it's a good gesture and it saves a lot of face too , but he isn't a dummy to let that 25k dollar tax deduction slip away.

on the win Lamont !!!!!
    ...........I am not sure of the motive behind your post on this ..........but this is going to COST Lamont MONEY....because HE HAS TO PAY THE TAXES ON HIS WINNING IT FIRST.........I don't think He will break even on this , much less make money TAX WISE.................I'm not a tax expert and I hope I'm wrong about it .....................Mike

Spyder Garage

on the win Lamont !!!!!
    You don't take tax deductions? I may not be able to quote scripture; but, I certainly take any tax deductions I possibly can.

By the way, neither you nor I will ever attain sacred cow status. Just a thought.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-06-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Enough

I think this thread needs to end before people start calling each other names or get otherwise personal. I think Lamont won fair and square, would I have liked to win, SURE, but I didn't purchase as many tickets as Lamont, so my chances weren't as good, so be it. The contest was run by Road Warriors and I don't think Lamont is associated with them other than as as supporter and contributor, so I don't see any problem with him winning. I think it's great that he won and also what he's doing with it. Lamont seems like a Class Act all the way.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

on the win Lamont !!!!!
    I doubt the finances of the whole deal were any influence on his decision, but realize per the rules that the winner has to pay income tax on the spot before taking it home... which is calculated at around 33%... so that's $8,250.00 not counting sales tax(which may not be applicable unless he gets it licensed with the State DMV.

If I had won, I'd have to find a way to cough up the tax money... most likely have to put it on a card and then sell my RT to pay that off....
    You see this with game show winnings all the time... people often can't afford to keep the prizes.

Cut the guy a break man....he's doing what most of us out here wouldn't even consider.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

arntufun

sorry, I guess the post didn't come out right.........

I'm happy for him and hope he gets a tax deduction from it..... No I'll will intended

Spyder Garage

sorry, I guess the post didn't come out right.........

I'm happy for him and hope he gets a tax deduction from it..... No I'll will intended
    You are fine by me arntu, I knew what you meant..