Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Road Warrior F3 raffle - The rest of the story

I want to clear the air in my own words and let you all know what my plans are for the Road Warrior F3 raffle bike that I won.

First let me say I have a special place in my heart for all those who serve our great country. I was born in West Germany to Army parents and even though I did not serve I do have two boys who served in the Marines right out of high school and another son who is active duty in the Air Force now. My boys made the decision to serve the day of the terrorist attacks on 9-11. I told them as their father that the world as we know it had changed forever. They all joined while we were still at war. Here's a pic of them 9-11-2001 on the front porch of our home in San Diego.

When my oldest son Lance joined the Marine Corp I could no longer watch the news. When I heard "3 Marines injured" or "5 Marines killed" in Iraq I couldn't help but think one day that may be one of my boys. Then I would think that was someone's son or daughter. Those of you who have loved ones in the service know what I'm talking about. These men and women are so brave to leave the comfort of home to fight in a country they know nothing about other than they hate us and plan to take away our freedom and way of life. I have so much respect for these folks and try and help whenever I can to show my support.

BRP and Can Am surprised me when I saw they made a commitment to support the Road Warriors by loaning them new Spyders to drive cross country to raise awareness and raise funds to support out vets. Both Craig Anders and Steve Berger have taken the time out of their lives to make a difference and to pursue their vision. It's one thing to say you want to help but to put boots to your words is what it really takes to get the job done. These guys and all who volunteer to the Road Warriors make it a reality including a Canadian based company (BRP).

This year BRP gave the Road Warrior foundation a brand new Can Am Spyder F3-S to do with as they please to raise money and awareness. They decided to customize it and put up a raffle for it. The only rule was that they (the Road Warrior Foundation) could not win it. When I saw Craig in Daytona we got to spend some time together and share a booth together. They had done a great job doing what they could to customize the F3 but were disappointed they couldn't get everything done in time for Daytona Bikeweek. I know how that feels because I didn't get everything done either on "Triple Threat." To be honest, one of the things that really bothered the Road Warrior guys and me was they had blacked out everything they could but didn't have time to black out the chrome foot peg mounts. Being OCD like me, it drove them a little crazy.

Fast forward to Spyderfest in Springfield MO. 2015
    Craig and Steve were far short of their goal of selling the amount of tickets they needed to support their upcoming ride they were taking the Vets on and they knew they had a better chance of reaching that goal if they could get their F3 in front of more SpyderLovers' eyes who knew what a great opportunity this was. Their effort to get the F3 to Spyderfest paid off as they almost reached their goal in ticket sales.

As I walked into the Fairgrounds the night of the drawing, I was challenged by Len from Pitbull Powersports over the loud speaker to buy some tickets to close the gap. I hadn't bought any tickets prior to this because I was showing my support by marketing and getting the word out for them here on SpyderLovers forum. I did want to support them with my pocket too but just never got time to stop by the booth so this was perfect timing. I dug into my pocket and pulled out $300 and handed it to Craig. He handed me my blank tickets as I didn't have time to fill them out but he knew where I was going to be so it was no big deal. I never bought the tickets to win anything, the only reason I bought them was to publicly show my support and to encourage others to buy tickets so they could go ahead and raffle off the Spyder at the event. It worked. They reached their goal and the show was on.

All the tickets were dumped in the front trunk of the Spyder and mixed up. Len's son Colton picked out the winning ticket. Len then told everyone to stand up and as he read off the numbers those who didn't have the number had to sit down. I didn't even bother to stand up as I didn't feel like I was playing the game. As he got down to the last two numbers my wife Joan kicked me to stand up. I looked at my tickets and sure enough I was in the running. When the last number was called I was in shock. I never win anything and I sure didn't expect to win the Road Warrior F3. When I walked up and handed them my ticket I still couldn't believe what had just happened. I honestly felt a little sick. They handed me the microphone and I said a few words I guess but I wasn't really there in my head.

I know from the outside looking in you might think this was rigged but I can assure you it was not. I will say I thought about declining the win but for some reason that didn't feel right either. I decided I needed to talk it over with my wife Joan, pray about it and sleep on it. Before going to bed we had decided the best thing to do was to finish the project Craig and Steve didn't have time to do, add my Lamonster touch to it and then give it back to the Road Warrior Foundation to auction it off to the highest bidder. From that moment on I knew why I won the F3, it was so I could give back in a bigger way for the Vets and also for my boys. I felt at peace with myself from that point on and the decision was my own and not public opinion. I trusted God to give me direction to do the right thing and He did. I woke up with the verse about the parable of the talents and how God gave the most to the ones He could trust and took away from the ones He couldn't trust. He said He would double the return on their investment and I pray the Road Warriors will be able to do the same after I get done doing a little custom work at Lamonster Garage.

I have the F3 at Lamonster Garage now and I will begin work on it this week. Craig and Steve will be working on the auction and paperwork side of things and I hope we can get this to auction in time for Sturgis. We're thinking that might be a good time and place to put it up for auction. One hundred percent (100%) of what I put into the Spyder and what it sells for will go straight back to the Road Warriors Foundation.

So stay tuned my brothers and sisters...........this is NOT the end of the story!

On a side note. This is the very Spyder my wife Joan rode on the Daytona Speedway just a few hours after we got married in Daytona. That was the one reason I thought for a second that I might keep it but I had already surprised her with a new F3 I just bought from Pitbull Powersports that week so there really was no more room at the house for another F3 but that's pretty cool that the bike she rode was the bike we won.

After we won the F3

On the race track the day of our wedding. She had only been Joan Bryden a few hours here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No explanation was needed; but "Thanks" anyway!
    You'll always be a winner to us!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Whatever you do, you do it from your heart. I truly believe this will bring some big bucks for Road Warriors. I know they will be happy with what ever it brings.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Nice to learn more about the man/reluctant celebrity! Thanks for sharing the story whys and whatfors. As a veteran and supporter of the Project Road Warrior Foundation I appreciate your efforts and your generosity.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

I was in the front row when the drawing took place and no way was this rigged, Colton closed his eyes, looked away and drew a ticket.

Thank you Lamont for being a big supporter of The Road Warrior Foundation, Like you i am not a vet (med reasons) but i am the proud father of a U.S. MARINE.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default I'd have kept it

but, I didn't just buy one. Thought it'd be cool to ride to work as an IDES MSC. No explanation was needed, but you did open up about yourself, your children have represented you well. Wish you well on getting it ready. Ryde on!
    Pat
    Burp(Gone, but not forgotten) - Viper Red 2012 RT-S SE5
    B-2 - Intense Red Pearl 2016 RT-S SE6
    GP - Phoenix Orange 2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

I also feel no further explanation was needed. Thank you for sharing your innermost thoughts and feelings.

It's all good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you....................

Lamont first of all like I always thank you so much for all you do for us spyder riders and brp. you are a very dedicateed and and talented indicidual that MUST be respected. Thank you for writing to clear the air i know some peope were skeptical and maybe even disgusted. Everything happens for a reason and the reason is you finishing the work and raisig more awareness for the road warrior cause and even raised more money once auction happens. You and your wife Joan are the nicest people and you have shared personal things with us to make us feel like family. You have traveled the world to share your passion and you have sacraficed so much and with your garage,new marriage,house you will continue to grow happier and stronger then ever you have my support 100% and respect as always god bless you and your family and thank you to your sons for their service.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for all you (and Joan) do for us Spyder riders. I also want to thank your sons for their service and you for sharing your story.
    I'm so thankful and blessed to be a part of the Spyder world because of people like you and Joan! God Bless You!
    Karen
    SEMPER FI
    VietNam Era Vet
    USMC. 1973-79

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I want to clear the air in my own words and let you all know what my plans are for the Road Warrior F3 raffle bike that I won.

First let me say I have a special place in my heart for all those who serve our great country. I was born in West Germany to Army parents and even though I did not serve I do have two boys who served in the Marines right out of high school and another son who is active duty in the Air Force now. My boys made the decision to serve the day of the terrorist attacks on 9-11. I told them as their father that the world as we know it had changed forever. They all joined while we were still at war. Here's a pic of them 9-11-2001 on the front porch of our home in San Diego.

When my oldest son Lance joined the Marine Corp I could no longer watch the news. When I heard "3 Marines injured" or "5 Marines killed" in Iraq I couldn't help but think one day that may be one of my boys. Then I would think that was someone's son or daughter. Those of you who have loved ones in the service know what I'm talking about. These men and women are so brave to leave the comfort of home to fight in a country they know nothing about other than they hate us and plan to take away our freedom and way of life. I have so much respect for these folks and try and help whenever I can to show my support.

BRP and Can Am surprised me when I saw they made a commitment to support the Road Warriors by loaning them new Spyders to drive cross country to raise awareness and raise funds to support out vets. Both Craig Anders and Steve Berger have taken the time out of their lives to make a difference and to pursue their vision. It's one thing to say you want to help but to put boots to your words is what it really takes to get the job done. These guys and all who volunteer to the Road Warriors make it a reality including a Canadian based company (BRP).

This year BRP gave the Road Warrior foundation a brand new Can Am Spyder F3-S to do with as they please to raise money and awareness. They decided to customize it and put up a raffle for it. The only rule was that they (the Road Warrior Foundation) could not win it. When I saw Craig in Daytona we got to spend some time together and share a booth together. They had done a great job doing what they could to customize the F3 but were disappointed they couldn't get everything done in time for Daytona Bikeweek. I know how that feels because I didn't get everything done either on "Triple Threat." To be honest, one of the things that really bothered the Road Warrior guys and me was they had blacked out everything they could but didn't have time to black out the chrome foot peg mounts. Being OCD like me, it drove them a little crazy.

Craig and Steve were far short of their goal of selling the amount of tickets they needed to support their upcoming ride they were taking the Vets on and they knew they had a better chance of reaching that goal if they could get their F3 in front of more SpyderLovers' eyes who knew what a great opportunity this was. Their effort to get the F3 to Spyderfest paid off as they almost reached their goal in ticket sales.

As I walked into the Fairgrounds the night of the drawing, I was challenged by Len from Pitbull Powersports over the loud speaker to buy some tickets to close the gap. I hadn't bought any tickets prior to this because I was showing my support by marketing and getting the word out for them here on SpyderLovers forum. I did want to support them with my pocket too but just never got time to stop by the booth so this was perfect timing. I dug into my pocket and pulled out $300 and handed it to Craig. He handed me my blank tickets as I didn't have time to fill them out but he knew where I was going to be so it was no big deal. I never bought the tickets to win anything, the only reason I bought them was to publicly show my support and to encourage others to buy tickets so they could go ahead and raffle off the Spyder at the event. It worked. They reached their goal and the show was on.

All the tickets were dumped in the front trunk of the Spyder and mixed up. Len's son Colton picked out the winning ticket. Len then told everyone to stand up and as he read off the numbers those who didn't have the number had to sit down. I didn't even bother to stand up as I didn't feel like I was playing the game. As he got down to the last two numbers my wife Joan kicked me to stand up. I looked at my tickets and sure enough I was in the running. When the last number was called I was in shock. I never win anything and I sure didn't expect to win the Road Warrior F3. When I walked up and handed them my ticket I still couldn't believe what had just happened. I honestly felt a little sick. They handed me the microphone and I said a few words I guess but I wasn't really there in my head.

I know from the outside looking in you might think this was rigged but I can assure you it was not. I will say I thought about declining the win but for some reason that didn't feel right either. I decided I needed to talk it over with my wife Joan, pray about it and sleep on it. Before going to bed we had decided the best thing to do was to finish the project Craig and Steve didn't have time to do, add my Lamonster touch to it and then give it back to the Road Warrior Foundation to auction it off to the highest bidder. From that moment on I knew why I won the F3, it was so I could give back in a bigger way for the Vets and also for my boys. I felt at peace with myself from that point on and the decision was my own and not public opinion. I trusted God to give me direction to do the right thing and He did. I woke up with the verse about the parable of the talents and how God gave the most to the ones He could trust and took away from the ones He couldn't trust. He said He would double the return on their investment and I pray the Road Warriors will be able to do the same after I get done doing a little custom work at Lamonster Garage.

I have the F3 at Lamonster Garage now and I will begin work on it this week. Craig and Steve will be working on the auction and paperwork side of things and I hope we can get this to auction in time for Sturgis. We're thinking that might be a good time and place to put it up for auction. One hundred percent (100%) of what I put into the Spyder and what it sells for will go straight back to the Road Warriors Foundation.

So stay tuned my brothers and sisters...........this is NOT the end of the story!

On a side note. This is the very Spyder my wife Joan rode on the Daytona Speedway just a few hours after we got married in Daytona. That was the one reason I thought for a second that I might keep it but I had already surprised her with a new F3 I just bought from Pitbull Powersports that week so there really was no more room at the house for another F3 but that's pretty cool that the bike she rode was the bike we won.

After we won the F3

On the race track the day of our wedding. She had only been Joan Bryden a few hours here.
    Thank you for all you do, all you have done, and for being an example for others to follow. Bless you, Lamont. And may God continue to shine his light upon you.

Spyder Garage

you won fair and square so no reason to explain but what your doing with the bike is fantastic. i wonder if the person that posted about you winning would do the work on the bike and donate the bike to a good cause
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Class act I got that feeling the first time I meet you and this proved my feeling USAF vet 72-76..jtpollock thank you

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Like I posted yesterday on facebook, It really does not matter who won the F3 the point is that it is supporting a charity.
    Lamont, I read your post yesterday and looked up the scripture that you quoted and I was impressed. I have no doubt that god wanted you to win the F3 as he can trust you to do the right thing and gives you more responsibility to carry out his work.
    From figuring out the meaning of that scripture and also having spent some time with you I had no doubt that you would be giving back some how and in some way.
    Thanks for giving back.
    Last edited by Marker; 05-04-2015 at 02:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Way to step up and hit a home run.

BRP donates an F3 for a raffle and Lamont donates it back with improvements. Way to go

F3 + Raffle X2= Big win for Road Warrior foundation.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Lamont,
    Congrats on winning the F3 and for getting married. I am very impressed with you and your decision. I know that you didn't have to say anything,
    you won the raffle fairly but I am glad you did. You are a class act, the things you do always help others and this is just another example of
    your generosity. God has blessed you and may he continue to bless you and your family. I thank you for your support of the armed forces both active duty and veterans.
    DJ
    1980-84 US Navy (active duty)
    1985-93 US Air Force (Reservist)
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Spyder Garage

As a Vietnam Vet and Spyder Rider, Lamont makes me even more proud to ride a Spyder!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. EasySpyder

Spyder Garage

Default :-)

Just freaking cool. You're a good man !!!

Spyder Garage

The Lord works in mysterious ways. The right person won and now the gift will be multiplied.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

Not needed but great chapter in the life of Lamont Bryden.. so now what are the plans for this unit..??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

After we won the F3

Bless your Generous Heart Lamonster. I am sure that they will do very well with the bidding after you put your special touches to what already is a great bike.
    You will always be judged by those that are self centered.
    2012 RT-SE5 , MAD wires an NGK plugs bLUE

Spyder Garage

Default Ya know....

Bobbie & I went for a burger after the festivities. On the way I said to her... 'I'm betting that Lamont will donate it back for a further auction, or donate it to a vet that he knows.' I DIDN'T think he would add more of his Lamonster garage enhancements to finish the machine!

When Bobbie & I got our food and asked a short blessing (like we always do), we thanked God for a spectacular day and evening. We also asked Him to give Lamont and Joan wisdom on what to do. I also prayed that again as I was drifting off to sleep. I awoke to a note from Lamont with the scripture in Matthew that describes investing and how to invest. Playing it safe is not what God wants us to do. Hoarding is not what God wants us to do. Investing in things that give good monetary reward is even second to investing in LIVES of others.

God smiled at Lamont and said '...well done...'

Spyder Garage

Default A CLASS Act

Lamont, a truly FIRST CLASS idea. Your dedication and support for the Road Warrior cause does your legacy proud. Thanks to your sons for their service.

Will look forward to an update on how we can bid when it's ready.

Again Thank you.
    Very Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

When I first heard he had won I never for for a nano second thought there was any impropriety in Lamont winning the RWF F3 and knew that he would some how donate it or profit from it back to them.

Spyder Phyl
    2014 RT-Ltd, Cognac and Timeless Black 2010 RT-622 trailer.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Not surprised

Class Act.
    Never saw a hearse with a trailer hitch!

Spyder Garage

I agree with all of the above. You won it fair & square & there should be no negative comments. Great Job.

Semper Fi to your sons from a broken down old Marine!!